07 October 2010, 16:47
Patriarch Kirill’s message to the 7th meeting of Joint Russian-Iranian Theological Commission for Islam-Orthodoxy Dialogue
Dear Participants in the Meeting,
I heartily greet you all who have gathered today in Teheran to work in the Joint Russian-Iranian Theological Commission for Islam-Orthodoxy Dialogue.
This year marks the 15th anniversary of the dialogue between the Russian Orthodox Church and the Muslim community in Iran. During this time, we have managed to reach mutual understanding on many aspects of the cultural and spiritual life of society. Thanks to our fruitful cooperation, a common position has been formulated on a number of such burning issues as concern for the growing secularization of today’s world, the need for informational opposition to the challenges to religious tradition and defence of moral values. Relations of trust and co-work have been established in our relations.
The theme of the meeting ‘The Role of Religion in the Life of the Individual and Society’ has become again especially acute as we see today religious and moral relativism spreading rapidly throughout the world. In the first place, it concerns the attempts to oust authentic religious values from human life and to replace them with a cult of unrestrained consumerism and all-permissiveness. Economy, becoming a dominant in social development, has imposed on people a race for material wealth and carnal pleasures. Faith and morals are presented as useless and old-fashioned notions. As a result, the age-old traditions of peoples, the traditions of family and community are being destroyed thus distorting the very human personality.
The participants in this meeting are called to discuss and demonstrate the importance and significance of religious life for strengthening the moral health of society. I hope that this regular meeting of the Commission will make a weighty contribution to the development of mutual understanding between our religious communities.
Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia
October 6, 2010
- Patriarch Kirill's condolences to US President over natural disaster in Oklahoma 24 May 2013, 11:37
- Paschal message by Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia to the Archpastors, Pastors, Deacons, Monastics and all the Faithful Children of the Russian Orthodox Church 04 May 2013, 14:49
- Patriarchal message to the Primate of Church of Antioch on the abduction of two Christian hierarchs in Aleppo 25 April 2013, 12:11
- Patriarchal message to the head of Syrian Orthodox Church on the abduction of two Christian hierarchs in Aleppo 25 April 2013, 12:11
- Patriarch Kirill's greetings to heads of Non-Orthodox Churches with Easter 02 April 2013, 15:14
- Patriarch Kirill's greeting to the new Primate of the Roman Catholic Church 15 March 2013, 16:57
- Situation of religious minorities in Syria becomes even more menacing. Statement of the Department for External Church Relations' Communication Service 05 March 2013, 12:59
- Message of the Holy Bishops’ Council to the Clergy, Monastics, Laity and Children of the Russian Orthodox Church 07 February 2013, 16:21
- On detention and beating of Orthodox Christians by Kosovo police. Statement of the Department for External Church Relations’ Communication Service 16 January 2013, 13:16
- Christmas Message of Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia 06 January 2013, 11:15
- Patriarch Kirill’s Christmas greetings to heads of non-Orthodox Churches celebrating Christmas according to Gregorian calendar 29 December 2012, 20:46
- Patriarch Kirill's condolences to the Holy Synod over demise of Patriarch of Antiochian Orthodox Church 06 December 2012, 15:23
- Metropolitan Hilarion's letter of support to Cardinal Andre Vingt-Trois, Archbishop of Paris, on another attack on traditional ethical values 28 November 2012, 16:52
- Address of Metropolitan Hilarion of Volokolamsk to newly appointed Archbishop of Canterbury 22 November 2012, 12:49
- Address of Metropolitan Hilarion, chairman of the Moscow Patriarchate's Department for External Church Relations, at the session of the United Nations Third Committee 24 October 2012, 14:47
Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | ...