24 March 2011
Topic of the day
75 of 100 victims of religious intolerance are Christians - Metropolitan Hilarion
Moscow, March 24, Interfax - Head of the Synodal Department for External Church Relations Metropolitan Hilarion cited data according to which Christians prevail among victims of religious intolerance.
"According to the data of non-governmental organization Aid To The Church In Need 75 of 100 victims killed from religious intolerance have been Christians in recent years," the Metropolitan said in his interview to Izvestia daily on Thursday.
The Metropolitan points out that in the majority of states where Christian minority is being persecuted, Christians have lived for many centuries, "even when local political regimens declared themselves more radical than today."
"It is today when all states have undertaken obligations to protect human rights, outflow of Christians from certain countries has increased. I believe it proves the failure of modern world policy on religious freedom and lack of interest to religious education," the Metropolitan said.
According to him, Christians are often fell victims of political mistakes made by Western states.
"The situation is difficult in Iraq. According to some data, half of 1,4 million Christian population has left the country since 2003. Without giving any evaluations to political situation in Iraq before NATO interference, I'd like to mention that Christians there were not physically exterminated. Foreign military invasion has made many Christians hostages of insufficiently considered NATO actions," the Metropolitan said.
Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 |
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin criticizes 'spiritual relax' in connection with tragedy in the Alps 30 March 2015, 17:56
- Russia is urged to revive Christianity in Europe - Patriarch Kirill 16 March 2015, 14:21
- St. Petersburg MP suggests boycotting Eurovision 11 March 2015, 15:40
- Renowned Italian expert speaks about growing Christianophobia on Europe 17 October 2014, 10:06
- Patriarch Kirill asks Iraq president to protect Christians 14 October 2014, 10:05
- Moscow worried by persecution of religious minorities in Iraq - Foreign Ministry statement 23 July 2014, 10:31
- Anti-Christian revolution sweeps through Europe - Russian MP 15 November 2013, 10:44
- In Belgrade Patriarch Kirill speaks of importance of Europe's Christian roots 07 October 2013, 15:05
- Metropolitan Hilarion believes that Western countries tend to dictatorship 24 July 2013, 11:16
- Suspected bombers of UK mosques confirmed to be Ukrainian 23 July 2013, 11:00
- Russia is fated to become center of Christian world – priest 01 July 2013, 16:55
- Metropolitan Hilarion calls on Catholics to act as united front to defend Christians 17 October 2012, 15:47
- Turkey is concerned about extremism against Muslims in Europe 14 September 2012, 12:35
- Xenophobia, racism, violations of Christians' rights on the rise in UK - Russian Foreign Ministry 14 May 2012, 11:34
- Patriarch Kirill calls on Bulgarian PM to base policies on Orthodox Christian values 02 May 2012, 10:02
- Russian Church deplores UK ban on wearing crosses at work 26 March 2012, 17:44
- Single-person picket held outside UK Embassy in Moscow 23 March 2012, 11:00
- Orthodox activists rally near British embassy in Moscow 22 March 2012, 11:00
- Russian church parishioner in London resigns after being banned from wearing cross 19 March 2012, 14:24
- Western model of secular society stop working, the Russian church official believes 12 December 2011, 15:15
- 110-year-old Ingush resident completes hajj to Saudi Arabia 17 November 2011, 16:29
- Metropolitan Hilarion accuses West of leaving Egypt Christians in the lurch 01 November 2011, 10:19
- Russian Orthodox Church urges OSCE to defend Christians' rights 13 September 2011, 15:44
- Mosque of Notre Dame de Paris to open the Week of Russian Сinema in New York 12 September 2011, 14:59
- People in town near Moscow protest mosque construction 29 June 2011, 10:39