24 March 2011
Topic of the day
75 of 100 victims of religious intolerance are Christians - Metropolitan Hilarion
Moscow, March 24, Interfax - Head of the Synodal Department for External Church Relations Metropolitan Hilarion cited data according to which Christians prevail among victims of religious intolerance.
"According to the data of non-governmental organization Aid To The Church In Need 75 of 100 victims killed from religious intolerance have been Christians in recent years," the Metropolitan said in his interview to Izvestia daily on Thursday.
The Metropolitan points out that in the majority of states where Christian minority is being persecuted, Christians have lived for many centuries, "even when local political regimens declared themselves more radical than today."
"It is today when all states have undertaken obligations to protect human rights, outflow of Christians from certain countries has increased. I believe it proves the failure of modern world policy on religious freedom and lack of interest to religious education," the Metropolitan said.
According to him, Christians are often fell victims of political mistakes made by Western states.
"The situation is difficult in Iraq. According to some data, half of 1,4 million Christian population has left the country since 2003. Without giving any evaluations to political situation in Iraq before NATO interference, I'd like to mention that Christians there were not physically exterminated. Foreign military invasion has made many Christians hostages of insufficiently considered NATO actions," the Metropolitan said.
Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 |
- Russian missionary believes arriving foreigners can become new Cyrils and Methodiuses 02 February 2011, 12:03
- Russian Church considers EP resolution on persecutions against Christians revolutionary 25 January 2011, 11:08
- The Russian Church representative in Strasbourg concerned with extinction of Christian European peoples 17 January 2011, 16:26
- Moscow Patriarchate is concerned with hostile attitude to religion some people have 17 January 2011, 14:25
- 10 thsd signatures against building mosque in city park collected in Kaliningrad 11 January 2011, 13:42
- It can't be allowed that the Lord disappears from everyday life - Cardinal Bertone 30 November 2010, 13:30
- Islamologist suggests introducing NATO Turkish and Albanian contingent to Moscow district 26 November 2010, 18:19
- Only Russia can save Europe from Islamisation, Zhirinovsky believes 24 November 2010, 13:05
- Well-known Islam expert urges using Russian Empire's experience to establish multicultural society 23 November 2010, 13:58
- No mosque will be constructed in Tekstilschiki district - prefect 17 November 2010, 14:03
- Acting representative of Russian Church in Brussels: Sectarian lobby is scheming in European Parliament 16 November 2010, 15:44
- Russian specialist denied attendance at European Parliament hearings on religious freedom in Russia 16 November 2010, 13:10
- Media review: Interview of Metropolitan of Volokolamsk Hilarion to the Greek TV 08 November 2010, 16:08
- Tekstilschiki residents gather around 7,000 signatures against mosque construction 27 October 2010, 16:16
- Hijab in Europe is first step to Shariah law, renowned writer believes 25 October 2010, 10:05
- Moscow officials heed protests, pledge to find another site for building new mosque 21 October 2010, 13:50
- Patriarch Kirill thanks PACE for defending "traditional moral values" 13 October 2010, 17:38
- Patriarch Kirill invited to speak at PACE 13 October 2010, 17:03
- Patriarch Kirill compares situation with religion in Europe with period of atheism in USSR 13 October 2010, 14:50
- Muscovites ask Russian president not to allow building mosque in Tekstilschiki 12 October 2010, 17:21
- On German Reunification 20th anniversary Patriarch Kirill thanks its leaders for efforts taken to integrate European nations 01 October 2010, 14:41
- Muscovites in southeastern district lay park in place allotted for mosque 27 September 2010, 10:10
- Orthodox priest urges to carry out missionary work among immigrants in Russia 22 September 2010, 14:03
- Speculations about shortage of mosques in Moscow should be cut short, Islamologist believes 16 September 2010, 13:47
- Moscow imam reminds that Muslims may pray in Orthodox churches 15 September 2010, 13:46