16 November 2012
Topic of the day
Art exhibition at Moscow's Manege working as normal following attack by radical Orthodox activists
Moscow, August 17, Interfax - The organizers of an art exhibition at the Manege exhibition hall in Moscow, which was ransacked by radical Orthodox activists on Friday evening, have filed a report on the incident with police and expect the damage to be evaluated.
"We filed a report yesterday. The damage caused is so far unknown. Police have seized four linocuts that were damaged, and we are waiting for an expert to evaluate the damage," Yelena Karneyeva, a spokesperson for the Manege association, told Interfax on Saturday.
The exhibition is working as normal now, she said.
The Interior Ministry department for Moscow told Interfax on Saturday that police had opened an inquiry into the incident.
Interfax had reported earlier that several activists led by Dmitry Tsorionov (Enteo), the leader of the Orthodox movement God's Will, had disrupted an exhibition called 'Sculptures We Don't See' at Manege on Friday evening. The attackers damaged several artworks, claiming that the exhibits insulted the feelings of true believers.
The exhibition displayed works by prominent Soviet avant-garde sculptor Vadim Sidur.
Tsorionov says all activists who were involved in an attack on exhibition have been freed from police. "We hope the exhibition will be closed, and those responsible will be dismissed," Tsorionov said on Twitter.
Tsorionov said his associates and he had not damaged a single sculpture in Manege. "The matter is only about a plate and some pieces of linoleum," he said.
"Our action is a cry, because no one hears us; the state doesn't protect what is holy to us today, and only some high-profile act can change something," Tsorionov said.
Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 |
- Russian Church satisfied that ECHR found Pussy Riot's 'punk prayer' unlawful 14 December 2018, 21:13
- Russian Orthodox Church calls ECHR decision on Pussy Riot members' appeal blow to legal protection of religious freedom (updated) 05 December 2018, 17:11
- ECHR rejects Russia's request to send application of Pussy Riot members convicted for punk prayer in Moscow cathedral to Grand Chamber 04 December 2018, 19:04
- Kremlin vows to study Human Rights Council's initiative to decriminalize insulting believers' feelings 22 August 2018, 15:57
- ECHR orders Russia to pay some 48,000 euros to Pussy Riot members over 2012 'punk prayer' case 17 July 2018, 13:27
- Patriarch Kirill calls on film, stage industry not to rock boat of human passions 21 November 2017, 10:00
- The Church official criticizes performances and dances in Russian churches 03 May 2017, 17:24
- About a quarter of Russians okays banning works of art for irony and critics of religion - poll 19 December 2016, 17:40
- The Russian Church official speaks for Jesus Christ Superstar rock opera 02 November 2016, 10:17
- Works of art shouldn't incite hatred on religious or other grounds 25 October 2016, 18:34
- Visitors at Estonian National Museum offered to kick Virgin Mary's image 03 October 2016, 11:06
- Orthodox believers in Krasnodar achieved cancelling the concert of musicians from the USA and Austria 22 April 2016, 11:24
- Orthodox activist accused of damaging sculptures in Moscow's Manezh put under house arrest 18 March 2016, 12:24
- Police launch criminal inquiry into Manezh exhibition attack 15 September 2015, 10:00
- Every tenth Russian justifies actions of Orthodox believers in Manege 02 September 2015, 14:01
- Orthodox believers ask Moscow Prosecutor to give legal evaluation of notorious exhibition in Manege 18 August 2015, 12:29
- Incident in Manege promotes exhibition and Enteo, both sides should be punished, Orthodox human rights advocate believes 17 August 2015, 14:43
- Manezh radical attack to increase price of insurance for works of art going to Moscow - culture expert 17 August 2015, 10:21
- Rights defender Alexeyeva calls for punishing religious activists who vandalized sculpture exhibition in Moscow 17 August 2015, 10:07
- Art exhibition at Moscow's Manege working as normal following attack by radical Orthodox activists 17 August 2015, 10:00
- Majority of Russians place feelings of believers above freedom of speech and expression – poll 13 August 2015, 11:42
- Russian Culture Ministry to support only art focused on traditional values 01 April 2015, 17:53
- Russian Central Muslim Board urges artists to be more delicate about believers' feelings 16 March 2015, 14:57
- Tannhauser opera staged in Novosibirsk desecrates Christian symbols - Mufti of Moscow 13 March 2015, 18:44
- Court drops case against Novosibirsk opera theater director 12 March 2015, 10:07