30 May 2016
Topic of the day
Putin and Patriarch Kirill chair celebrations of the 1000-year anniversary of Russian presence on Athos
Athos, May 30, Interfax - Russian President Vladimir Putin and Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia visited Athos where they chaired the celebrations dedicated to the 1000-year anniversary of Russian monasticism on the Holy Mount.
Speaking to the monks and the rector of the Russian St. Panteleimon monastery, Putin reminded he had been here in 2005 and called the changes "miraclous," pointing out to efforts on restoring the monastery.
At the meeting with members of the Holy Kinot, the president called the role of Athos extremely important at the present time when "Orthodoxy in Russia and other countries confessing it strengthened." He expressed hope for the development of relations between Russia and Athos and said that over 11,000 Russian pilgrims visit the mountain every year.
Patriarch Kirill in his speech in St. Panteleimon monastery said that Athos inhabited by people from various countries "shows the example of ecumenical Orthodoxy and we should treat it with care."
According to him, today everyone who comes to Athos sees this "ecumenical dimension" of Orthodoxy, hears divine services in different languages and has a chance to get acquainted with different cultures that live together as one family.
"People coming to your place do not know about your problems, they do not measure your sanctity or sinfulness, they look at you as an example. Do not destroy the image Athos forms in minds of Orthodox people, live in peace, show the icon of Orthodox unity, and let each monk show the world an image of sinful, but saving person," the patriarch said.
Photo by the press service of Patriarch Kirill
Page: 1 | 2 | 3 |
- Putin and Patriarch Kirill chair celebrations of the 1000-year anniversary of Russian presence on Athos 30 May 2016, 11:50
- Patriarch Kirill thanks Putin for supporting Athos monastery 30 May 2016, 10:00
- Putin to travel to Holy Mount Athos on second day of his visit to Greece 26 May 2016, 13:33
- Patriarch Kirill to visit Athos in late May 19 May 2016, 17:10
- Patriarch Kirill plans to visit Mount Athos in May 24 February 2016, 14:06
- Putin does not plan to visit Athos in May - Peskov 27 January 2016, 12:42
- Patriarch Kirill to again lead celebrations of 1,000th anniversary of Russian presence on Athos 29 October 2015, 16:17
- Mikhalkov tells how his father did not let Greek monks to occupy Russian monastery on Mount Athos 22 May 2015, 14:46
- People knelt down to welcome the Gifts of the Magi in Minsk 20 January 2014, 16:53
- Over 400,000 people managed to venerate the Gifts of the Magi in Moscow 15 January 2014, 10:30
- Patriarch Kirill: Russia-Greece relations rest on Orthodoxy 10 June 2013, 10:00
- Patriarch Kirill plans to preside over celebrations of 1,000 years of Russian presence on Mount Athos in 2016 07 June 2013, 14:16
- Patriarch Kirill prays before Vatopedi Monastery sanctuaries on Mount Athos 07 June 2013, 11:28
- Senior Athos monk praises Russia, urges global Orthodox unity 07 June 2013, 10:12
- Patriarch Kirill visits Greek monastery with rich Russian record 07 June 2013, 10:06
- Patriarch Kirill venerates shrines of the Russian Monastery of St. Panteleimon on Mount Athos 05 June 2013, 15:01
- Patriarch Kirill arrives on Mount Athos 05 June 2013, 14:52
- Patriarch Kirill says pilgrimage development from Russia to help Greece to cope with crisis 04 June 2013, 09:53
- Patriarch Kirill receives Greece's top honor 03 June 2013, 18:04
- Orthodox believers are called to be salt of the earth, light in Universe - Patriarch Kirill 03 June 2013, 10:54
- Patriarch Kirill to visit Mount Athos 30 May 2013, 10:36
- Russian Church raises over 500,000 euro to feed poor Greeks 06 August 2012, 11:31
- Putin thanks Archbishop of Athens for visiting Russia 25 May 2012, 09:57
- Russian Church vows to raise funds for crisis-hit Greece 26 January 2012, 17:47
- Constantinople Patriarchate's attitude to the Athos monastery rector unacceptable, Greek hierarch believes 18 January 2012, 10:01