04 June 2013
Topic of the day
Patriarch Kirill says pilgrimage development from Russia to help Greece to cope with crisis
Athens, June 4, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia said he urged to develop religious tourism in the Russian-Greek relations.
"Pilgrimage is not seasonal tourism, not people going to the seaside, so they can come at any time. If pilgrimage is successfully enhanced, then this will have spiritual meaning, will bring us closer, will strengthen relations between the Churches more and will contribute to the economy of your country," the patriarch said at a meeting with Greek Prime Minister Antonis Samaras in Athens.
The patriarch said that it was currently important for Greece to develop the spheres, which would bring income quickly and that the Russian Church attached great importance to the religious tourism and pilgrimage development.
Patriarch Kirill said that Russia had also survived a crisis "having gone through utter collapse of the economic and political systems when the Soviet Union fell."
"But of course, in the past ten to twelve years, especially after President Putin came to power, a lot has changed in Russia and now we live in an utterly different country. So we have a very clear understanding of the mood and the feelings the Greek people currently experience having found themselves in economic trouble," the patriarch said.
Patriarch Kirill said that Greeks were a heroic nation, "a nation which preserved itself throughout thousands of years and which is a carrier of the highest antic and Christian culture."
"Such nations do not disappear, they can fight. I would like to assure you that the Russian Church and Russian people are together with you in this fight of the Greek people for their future," the patriarch said.
Samaras said he thanked the Russian Church for the financial support it gave to Greece during the crisis. The Greek prime minister said that he believed in the power of the Greek people, who were spiritually strong and who would overcome the difficulties they were experiencing.
Photo by the press service of Patriarch Kirill
Page: 1 | 2 | 3 |
- Patriarch Kirill: Russia-Greece relations rest on Orthodoxy 10 June 2013, 10:00
- Patriarch Kirill plans to preside over celebrations of 1,000 years of Russian presence on Mount Athos in 2016 07 June 2013, 14:16
- Patriarch Kirill prays before Vatopedi Monastery sanctuaries on Mount Athos 07 June 2013, 11:28
- Senior Athos monk praises Russia, urges global Orthodox unity 07 June 2013, 10:12
- Patriarch Kirill visits Greek monastery with rich Russian record 07 June 2013, 10:06
- Patriarch Kirill venerates shrines of the Russian Monastery of St. Panteleimon on Mount Athos 05 June 2013, 15:01
- Patriarch Kirill arrives on Mount Athos 05 June 2013, 14:52
- Patriarch Kirill says pilgrimage development from Russia to help Greece to cope with crisis 04 June 2013, 09:53
- Patriarch Kirill receives Greece's top honor 03 June 2013, 18:04
- Orthodox believers are called to be salt of the earth, light in Universe - Patriarch Kirill 03 June 2013, 10:54
- Patriarch Kirill to visit Mount Athos 30 May 2013, 10:36
- Russian Church raises over 500,000 euro to feed poor Greeks 06 August 2012, 11:31
- Putin thanks Archbishop of Athens for visiting Russia 25 May 2012, 09:57
- Russian Church vows to raise funds for crisis-hit Greece 26 January 2012, 17:47
- Constantinople Patriarchate's attitude to the Athos monastery rector unacceptable, Greek hierarch believes 18 January 2012, 10:01
- Vatopedi Monastery abbot to remain in custody despite partial acquittal 13 January 2012, 11:24
- Russian Church declines to comment on Constantinople statement on abbot's arrest 12 January 2012, 10:01
- True motives for Father Yefrem's arrest is struggle against Athos independence and Russian influence there, head of the Vatopedi Friends Society believes 30 December 2011, 13:00
- Russian Orthodox rise in defense of arrested Vatopedi monk 29 December 2011, 18:05
- Patriarch Kirill asks Greek president to release Vatopedi Monastery superior from custody 29 December 2011, 18:01
- Archimandrite Yefrem's arrest violates European Human Rights Court's decisions - Russian Foreign Ministry 28 December 2011, 13:55
- Archimandrite Yefrem's arrest is attack on Athos monks, Orthodox faith - Russian Orthodox Church 28 December 2011, 13:48
- Guardian of Holy Virgin's Belt from Mt. Athos decides to go to jail 27 December 2011, 15:07
- Russian Church believes Vatopedi Rector's arrest groundless sanction 26 December 2011, 11:24
- Even Muslims venerated the Belt of the Holy Virgin, Putin said 07 December 2011, 11:43