30 May 2016
Topic of the day
Putin and Patriarch Kirill chair celebrations of the 1000-year anniversary of Russian presence on Athos
Athos, May 30, Interfax - Russian President Vladimir Putin and Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia visited Athos where they chaired the celebrations dedicated to the 1000-year anniversary of Russian monasticism on the Holy Mount.
Speaking to the monks and the rector of the Russian St. Panteleimon monastery, Putin reminded he had been here in 2005 and called the changes "miraclous," pointing out to efforts on restoring the monastery.
At the meeting with members of the Holy Kinot, the president called the role of Athos extremely important at the present time when "Orthodoxy in Russia and other countries confessing it strengthened." He expressed hope for the development of relations between Russia and Athos and said that over 11,000 Russian pilgrims visit the mountain every year.
Patriarch Kirill in his speech in St. Panteleimon monastery said that Athos inhabited by people from various countries "shows the example of ecumenical Orthodoxy and we should treat it with care."
According to him, today everyone who comes to Athos sees this "ecumenical dimension" of Orthodoxy, hears divine services in different languages and has a chance to get acquainted with different cultures that live together as one family.
"People coming to your place do not know about your problems, they do not measure your sanctity or sinfulness, they look at you as an example. Do not destroy the image Athos forms in minds of Orthodox people, live in peace, show the icon of Orthodox unity, and let each monk show the world an image of sinful, but saving person," the patriarch said.
Photo by the press service of Patriarch Kirill
Page: 1 | 2 | 3 |
- Orthodox believers are called to be salt of the earth, light in Universe - Patriarch Kirill 03 June 2013, 10:54
- Patriarch Kirill to visit Mount Athos 30 May 2013, 10:36
- Russian Church raises over 500,000 euro to feed poor Greeks 06 August 2012, 11:31
- Putin thanks Archbishop of Athens for visiting Russia 25 May 2012, 09:57
- Russian Church vows to raise funds for crisis-hit Greece 26 January 2012, 17:47
- Constantinople Patriarchate's attitude to the Athos monastery rector unacceptable, Greek hierarch believes 18 January 2012, 10:01
- Vatopedi Monastery abbot to remain in custody despite partial acquittal 13 January 2012, 11:24
- Russian Church declines to comment on Constantinople statement on abbot's arrest 12 January 2012, 10:01
- True motives for Father Yefrem's arrest is struggle against Athos independence and Russian influence there, head of the Vatopedi Friends Society believes 30 December 2011, 13:00
- Russian Orthodox rise in defense of arrested Vatopedi monk 29 December 2011, 18:05
- Patriarch Kirill asks Greek president to release Vatopedi Monastery superior from custody 29 December 2011, 18:01
- Archimandrite Yefrem's arrest violates European Human Rights Court's decisions - Russian Foreign Ministry 28 December 2011, 13:55
- Archimandrite Yefrem's arrest is attack on Athos monks, Orthodox faith - Russian Orthodox Church 28 December 2011, 13:48
- Guardian of Holy Virgin's Belt from Mt. Athos decides to go to jail 27 December 2011, 15:07
- Russian Church believes Vatopedi Rector's arrest groundless sanction 26 December 2011, 11:24
- Even Muslims venerated the Belt of the Holy Virgin, Putin said 07 December 2011, 11:43
- Russia will save Orthodoxy on Earth, Rector of Athos monastery believes 29 November 2011, 13:38
- Several dozens miracles registered in Russia after venerating the Belt of the Mother of God 28 November 2011, 12:55
- Pilgrimage to the Belt of the Mother of God in Moscow is unique event in history of Russia, church official believes 28 November 2011, 10:11
- Not less than 300 thsd people venerated the Belt of the Holy Virgin in St.Petersburg 27 October 2011, 15:08
- Belt of the Holy Virgin delivered to Russia from Athos monastery 21 October 2011, 10:28
- Precious Orthodox relic from Mount Athos to come to Russia in autumn 25 July 2011, 17:42
- Successful French photographer says singing of Athos monk inspired him to become a monk 22 March 2011, 16:22
- Metropolitan Hilarion: Patriarch Kirill will take the first opportunity to visit Mount Athos 03 December 2010, 18:35
- Abbot of the Russian Monastery on Mt. Athos is 95 22 October 2010, 18:24