27 September 2021
Topic of the day
Russian Church has established a day of remembrance for the victims of repression
Moscow, September 27, Interfax - The Holy Synod has decided to commemorate annually on October 30 in all the churches of the Russian Orthodox Church in Russia those who suffered during the years of repression by the Bolsheviks.
"Following the discussion, the Synod decided to emphasize that the Russian Orthodox Church remembers not only the saints glorified by it, but also all the innocent victims of repression, calling on society to preserve the memory of these tragic pages of history," Vladimir Legoyda, head of the Synodal Department for Church, Society and Media Relations, told reporters after the Synod held in Moscow.
According to him, in addition to the annual commemoration of those who suffered during the years of persecution for the faith of Christ, the Synod blessed on the territory of Russia on October 30 the performance of funeral services for all Orthodox Christians "who were innocently killed by the God-worshippers or who were innocently imprisoned."
The Synod also approved the updated composition of the Church and Public Council under Patriarch Kirill for perpetuating the memory of the new martyrs and confessors of the Russian Church and approved a number of liturgical texts.
Page: 1 | 2 |
- Russian Church has established a day of remembrance for the victims of repression 27 September 2021, 11:06
- The Russian Orthodox Church official believes Stalin could have become a good bishop 13 January 2020, 19:36
- Cassation court posthumously acquits Orthodox dissident Shchipkova 40 years after sentencing 25 December 2019, 16:16
- Christians of Soviet times showed an example of uncompromising faith, Benedict XVI believes 24 May 2018, 14:32
- President and patriarch opens a monument to victims of repressions in Moscow 31 October 2017, 10:52
- Patriarch Kirill will consecrate a cathedral built to the 100th anniversary of the revolution 24 May 2017, 15:12
- Church official calls Stalin "executioner" and supports ban on his perpetuation in Ingushetia 20 March 2017, 14:19
- Every tenth Russian ashamed of persecutions against the Church - poll 01 March 2017, 15:28
- Half a million people may have suffered for Orthodox faith in USSR 16 November 2016, 13:18
- Russian Jewish community waiting for explanation of Vasilyeva's attitude to Stalin era 22 August 2016, 15:35
- Moscow Patriarchate denounces Patriarch Kirill justifies Stalin 11 November 2015, 17:15
- Patriarch Kirill urges to remember positive achievements of the Soviet period 05 November 2015, 10:07
- Over 20,000 people suffered for faith from Bolsheviks commemorated at the Butovo firing range 01 November 2013, 10:04
- Stalin's power was from God, period of his rule was slandered, Orthodox priest believes 13 May 2013, 11:27
- "Atheistic five-year plan" was announced in the USSR 80 years ago 15 May 2012, 17:45
- Patriarch Kirill considers collapse of the USSR a decay of historical Russia 15 November 2011, 14:22
- 20 years ago, Russia gained freedom from atheism and oppression, Russian Church stated 22 August 2011, 13:38
- Cardinal Koch commemorated believers executed for faith in Soviet years 18 March 2011, 18:21
- Russian Orthodox Church wants easier access to archives to identify persecution victims 03 February 2011, 16:48
- Russian Church demands memorial after remains of purge victims found 19 November 2010, 17:44
- Prayerful standing will take place in Moscow to commemorate the 90th anniversary of Solovki Concentration Camp set up 20 August 2010, 15:44
- Solovki Monastery to be restored - Kremlin official 25 January 2010, 13:13
- Museum of people hurt by Bolsheviks for their faith to open in Donskoy Monastery 14 January 2010, 16:15
- Requiem for repressions victims conducted at the Solovki Stone 30 October 2009, 15:14
- Patriarch Kirill conducts requiem service at the place of Solovki prisoners’ execution 24 August 2009, 13:34