08 February 2012
Topic of the day
Russian Orthodox clergy allowed to run in secular elections
Moscow, October 5, Interfax - The governing body of the Russian Orthodox Church has allowed clerics to run for elected office in government "in the event of "ire ecclesiastical necessity."
"In the event of dire ecclesiastical necessity, in exceptional situations where action is needed against schismatic or non-Orthodox forces that are seeking to use elected office for fighting the Orthodox Church, the Holy Synod or the Synod of a self-governing Church will choose persons for participation in elections for bodies of state authority," the Holy Synod said in a resolution in Moscow on Thursday.
At the same time, a cleric will not be allowed to be a member of any political party even if he runs on a party ticket, the resolution said.
"A hierarch, cleric, monk or layman who is performing duties of obedience at a general ecclesiastical institution must in advance submit an application to the Patriarch and the Holy Synod or the Synod of a self-governing Church, explaining his reasons for seeking election to a legislative or executive body and state which non-Orthodox or schismatic groups are planning to use this body for action against the Orthodox Church," the document said.
An application for blessing for taking part in an election must be filed before the period when election campaigning is allowed by law.
"The hierarchy will enjoy the right to revoke their blessing in the event that the patriarch and Holy Synod or the Synod of a self-governing Church have decided that a cleric is pursing impermissible activities in the position to which he has been elected. In that case, the cleric who has been elected to a legislative or executive body of authority would be duty-bound to resign from his elected office," the resolution said.
Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 |
- Russian Orthodox Church calls Khodorkovsky pardon "act of mercy" 20 December 2013, 17:33
- 50% of Russians think Russia's president must not profess any other religion except Orthodox - poll 11 November 2013, 10:06
- Religious organizations, state don't need state mediator - Union of Orthodox Citizens 23 October 2013, 17:05
- Kremlin mulls introduction of post of commissioner on religious relations 18 October 2013, 16:18
- 15-year qualification scrapped for local religious groups' state registration 09 August 2013, 14:32
- Patriarch Kirill thanks Putin for constructive dialogue with Orthodox Church 26 July 2013, 10:02
- Prikhodko will be in charge of media, justice, religious affairs 24 June 2013, 14:57
- Most Russians support non-intervention of church in state affairs - poll 21 May 2013, 10:12
- Ten Commandments Party established in Russia 18 February 2013, 16:56
- Church must not get involved in politics - poll 11 February 2013, 10:12
- Putin: Orthodox bishops' meetings play "invaluable role" in Russian history 04 February 2013, 10:33
- Medvedev wants stronger relations between state, church, society 01 February 2013, 15:19
- Russian Church: Russia is able to realize its own idea of civil society without borrowing it abroad 10 January 2013, 12:56
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin: Russia's leadership is prone to political idealism 17 October 2012, 18:15
- Moscow Helsinki Group chairman criticizes idea of priests' election to state posts 05 October 2012, 16:59
- Russian Orthodox clergy allowed to run in secular elections 05 October 2012, 10:05
- Putin: the state "heavily indebted" to religious communities 29 August 2012, 10:13
- Several thousand-strong party to seek restoration of monarchy in Russia 23 August 2012, 17:10
- Patriarch Kirill says he is 'inspired' by today's church-state relations 16 August 2012, 15:37
- Russian Church should stay out of politics - poll 15 August 2012, 10:01
- Priest Okhlobystin heads up a Just Cause supreme council 14 August 2012, 14:13
- Russian Church positive about Surkov's appointment as curator for liaison with religious organizations 13 August 2012, 12:32
- Putin against religious organizations being officially labeled as "foreign agents" 11 July 2012, 10:27
- Church and state cannot be separated in Russia - priest 26 June 2012, 10:02
- Communist Party warns Church against meddling in secular affairs 25 May 2012, 13:17