07 May 2018
Topic of the day
Patriarch Kirill wishes Putin health, strength to fulfill presidential tasks
Moscow, May 7, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia led a thanksgiving service to mark President Vladimir Putin's inauguration on Monday.
Following the presidential inauguration ceremony, Putin went to the Kremlin's Annunciation Cathedral, at the entrance to which the patriarch was waiting for him. They went into the church together.
The prayers contained a request the God give the president "strength and wisdom to rule the country, creating peace and well-being in it."
At the end of the service, Patriarch Kirill chanted a prayer traditionally used in this church service: "Make him wise and direct him to perform this great service without any impediments."
After this, the patriarch told Putin on behalf of clergy, monks, and believers that all these people supported Putin, seeing him as "not only as a leader who successfully rules the country, but also as a man faithful to the fatherland" and as a person "for whom the spiritual tradition is his own tradition, for whom the material and spiritual well-being of people is the goal of his presidential term."
The patriarch wished the president strength and health to fulfill all of the pledges he gave in his inauguration speech.
As a gift from members of the Russian Orthodox Church's Holy Synod, the patriarch presented Putin with the 18th-century icon of the Savior from the patriarch's sacristy. This icon reflects "the beautiful and spiritual tradition" of the Russian people, the patriarch said.
Before leaving the church, Putin venerated the church's icon of the Annunciation of Our Mother of God.
This is Patriarch Kirill's second church service on the occasion of a presidential inauguration. The tradition of holding a service "for the beginning of a good undertaking" was originated by the late Patriarch Alexy II, the predecessor of Patriarch Kirill, who performed thanksgiving services in 2000, 2004, and 2008.
This is Putin's fourth such service.
Photo by the press service of Patriarch Kirill
Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 |
- Kremlin follows St. Isaac's Cathedral situation, but refrains from comment 29 March 2019, 14:36
- Russian Culture Ministry suggests discussing future of Spaso-Andronikov Monastery in commission for liaison between Church and museum community 15 March 2019, 15:36
- Position on transfer of Spaso-Andronikov Monastery to Russian Orthodox Church unformed, presence of museum objects needs to be taken into account - Peskov 15 March 2019, 15:33
- Patriarch asking State Property Management Agency to give Spaso-Andronikov Monastery to Russian Orthodox Church 15 March 2019, 15:26
- Patriarch Kirill denies that Church appeases authorities 01 February 2019, 11:29
- Patriarch Kirill wishes Putin health, strength to fulfill presidential tasks 07 May 2018, 16:08
- Mufti of Moscow calls Putin the father of Russian nation 27 March 2018, 10:18
- Patriarch Kirill: presidential elections showed unity of Russians around their national leader 19 March 2018, 17:59
- Putin expects Russian Orthodox Church to continue cooperation with state 02 December 2017, 11:59
- Putin to deliver speech at Bishops' Council on Friday 30 November 2017, 17:49
- Putin discusses Orthodox Church's contribution to consolidation of society, ethnic peace 30 November 2017, 10:20
- State should consider religious traditions when establishing new laws and supporting cultural projects, Patriarch Kirill believes 27 October 2017, 19:24
- Metropolitan Hilarion denies calling for restoration of monarchy 07 July 2017, 10:25
- State Duma to set up council on culture, religion, interethnic relations 16 May 2017, 11:49
- The Church does not share an opinion that it is the Kremlin's "pocket" structure 03 May 2017, 18:30
- St. Isaac Cathedral can gain a status of patriarchal representation 27 April 2017, 21:27
- Sixty-eight percent of citizens oppose monarchy in Russia - poll 24 March 2017, 09:30
- Russian Church doesn't intend to strive for transferring St. Basil Cathedral 02 March 2017, 13:29
- Russian Jews speak for restitution of religious property 28 February 2017, 18:10
- Russian Church accuses opponents of St. Isaac's Cathedral handover of attempting to "rock the boat" 20 February 2017, 10:54
- Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia urges to settle the question with St. Isaac Cathedral in compliance with the law 13 February 2017, 14:23
- Russian Church representative becomes advisor to State Duma speaker 03 February 2017, 18:36
- Ethnic, religious characteristics cannot take precedence over state laws - State Duma speaker 26 January 2017, 14:29
- Events connected with Putin's name are recorded in the world history, Patriarch Kirill 10 October 2016, 10:27
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin says was dismissed due to differences with Patriarch Kirill 25 December 2015, 16:03