17 January 2019
Topic of the day
Rada passes bill on transition of communities from one church to another
Kiev, January 17, Interfax - Ukraine's Verkhovnaya Rada has passed a bill outlining a mechanism governing changes in subordination for religious communities.
The bill, which amends the laws on subordination of religious organizations and procedures of state registration of religious organizations with the status of legal entity, was supported by 229 MPs at a plenary session of the Verkhovnaya Rada on Thursday.
The bill is related to legal issues that might arise as communities go over from the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Moscow Patriarchate to the new Orthodox Church of Ukraine, which received a tomos in Constantinople.
The bill would have the state recognize the right of a religious community to change its subordination by registering a new edition of its charter or amending the current charter.
A decision on changing subordination would be made by the assembly of a religious community. Such an assembly would be called by its members.
A decision would have to be made by at least two-thirds of a quorum and would need to be signed by members of the religious community who supported it.
Changes in the subordination of religious communities would not affect the content of the right of ownership or other property rights of such communities.
Members who disagree with such a decision would have the right to create a new community and sign a contract on procedures for using the house of worship and property with the owner (user).
These changes would be made to the Law on Freedom of Conscience and Religious Organizations.
The Law on the State Registration of Legal Entities, Private Individual Entrepreneurs, and Public Entities would also be amended.
If signed by the president, the bill will take effect the day following its publication.
Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 |
- Ukraine's Opposition Bloc to appeal bill on subordination of religious communities to Constitutional Court 17 January 2019, 17:31
- Ukrainian law on joining new church makes seizing churches easier - Ukrainian Orthodox Church 17 January 2019, 17:24
- Rada passes bill on transition of communities from one church to another 17 January 2019, 17:12
- Attempts are being made to divide Antioch Church - al-Assad 17 January 2019, 15:02
- Georgian Church to voice stance on Ukrainian autocephaly, govt not interfering - FM 16 January 2019, 18:58
- Metropolitan of Zaporozhye accuses Ukraine of attempt to 'drag God by his beard' 16 January 2019, 16:11
- Ukraine wants to re-register Kiev-Pechersk Lavra or take it away from UOC of Moscow Patriarchate - Metropolitan Pavel 16 January 2019, 16:03
- Putin describes establishment of new church in Ukraine as 'dangerous politicking' (updated) 16 January 2019, 13:43
- Inter-confessional accord in Ukraine sacrificed to Poroshenko's campaign - Putin 16 January 2019, 11:15
- Poroshenko guarantees protection to those who remain faithful to Moscow Patriarchate 15 January 2019, 16:50
- Poroshenko decorates 2 metropolitans who joined new church from UOC with Order of Prince Yaroslav Mudry 14 January 2019, 13:41
- Media review: "Metropolitan Hilarion: Russian Orthodox Church was born in Kiev, not in Moscow or St. Petersburg" 14 January 2019, 12:14
- The Ukrainian Orthodox Church compared Ukraine's new church to "Titanic" 11 January 2019, 18:52
- Georgian president doesn't hurry to congratulate Ukraine on granting autocephaly 11 January 2019, 18:47
- Culture Minister's statement on icons missing from Kiev-Pechersk Lavra is provocation - Ukrainian Orthodox Church 11 January 2019, 17:35
- Georgian Church needs time to decide on recognizing Ukraine's autocephaly 10 January 2019, 14:39
- Tomos returns from Istanbul to Ukraine 10 January 2019, 14:34
- If Georgia recognizes Ukraine's autocephaly, Russia to recognize Abkhaz Church's independence - Burjanadze 09 January 2019, 18:55
- Deputy head of Russian Orthodox Church's DECR added to Myrotvorets database 09 January 2019, 15:00
- All members of Ecumenical Patriarchate's Synod sign tomos for Ukraine – media 09 January 2019, 14:23
- Patriarch Kirill has faith in brighter future of canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church 07 January 2019, 15:04
- Polish Orthodox Church refuses to recognize new Ukrainian church 06 January 2019, 21:02
- Ukraine's chief rabbi speaks against law on renaming of Ukrainian Orthodox Church 06 January 2019, 20:59
- Creation of independent church in Ukraine geopolitical disaster for Russia - Poroshenko 06 January 2019, 20:55
- Poroshenko promises to respect religious choice of citizens of Ukraine 06 January 2019, 20:52