17 January 2019
Topic of the day
Rada passes bill on transition of communities from one church to another
Kiev, January 17, Interfax - Ukraine's Verkhovnaya Rada has passed a bill outlining a mechanism governing changes in subordination for religious communities.
The bill, which amends the laws on subordination of religious organizations and procedures of state registration of religious organizations with the status of legal entity, was supported by 229 MPs at a plenary session of the Verkhovnaya Rada on Thursday.
The bill is related to legal issues that might arise as communities go over from the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Moscow Patriarchate to the new Orthodox Church of Ukraine, which received a tomos in Constantinople.
The bill would have the state recognize the right of a religious community to change its subordination by registering a new edition of its charter or amending the current charter.
A decision on changing subordination would be made by the assembly of a religious community. Such an assembly would be called by its members.
A decision would have to be made by at least two-thirds of a quorum and would need to be signed by members of the religious community who supported it.
Changes in the subordination of religious communities would not affect the content of the right of ownership or other property rights of such communities.
Members who disagree with such a decision would have the right to create a new community and sign a contract on procedures for using the house of worship and property with the owner (user).
These changes would be made to the Law on Freedom of Conscience and Religious Organizations.
The Law on the State Registration of Legal Entities, Private Individual Entrepreneurs, and Public Entities would also be amended.
If signed by the president, the bill will take effect the day following its publication.
Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 |
- Constantinople's actions can result in a schism in Orthodoxy, exceeding the Great Schism of 1054, Russian church official says 13 September 2018, 13:03
- The Russian Orthodox Church urges UOC believers to unite around Metropolitan Onufry 13 September 2018, 11:53
- Constantinople legates arrive in Ukraine - sources 12 September 2018, 19:31
- Metropolitan Onufry calls on flock to stay faithful to the canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church 12 September 2018, 17:08
- Washington stands behind Constantinople's actions in Ukraine - historian 12 September 2018, 11:28
- New church schism in Ukraine will be more dangerous than NATO expansion - expert 12 September 2018, 10:31
- Washington pledges support for Kiev in struggle for right to have united autocephalous Orthodox church 12 September 2018, 09:53
- Patriarch Bartholomew's position on Ukrainian Church motivated by politics rather than religion - Russian Imperial Family head 11 September 2018, 17:05
- Jerusalem patriarch expresses solidarity with the head of the canonical UOC 11 September 2018, 14:20
- Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia opposes appointment of exarchs to Ukraine 11 September 2018, 10:52
- Constantinople Church's actions in Ukraine show desire to dominate community of Orthodox Churches - Russian priest 11 September 2018, 10:37
- Moscow Patriarchate to take tough response if Constantinople takes irreparable steps on Ukraine 10 September 2018, 14:18
- Russian Orthodox Church urges Constantinople not to substitute canonical logic with political one 10 September 2018, 14:13
- Establishment of Russian church dioceses in Turkey could become a response to Patriarch Bartholomew - religious expert 09 September 2018, 21:02
- Russian Orthodox Church accuses Constantinople of treachery, threatens breakup in case of recognition of Ukrainian autocephaly 08 September 2018, 19:28
- Russian Orthodox Church's Synod accuses Patriarchate of Constantinople of 'gross violation of canons' over sending exarchs to Ukraine (updated) 08 September 2018, 15:25
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church sees appointment of Constantinople exarchs in Kiev as massive violation of its canonical territory 07 September 2018, 22:06
- Russian Orthodox Church warns about response to appointment by Ecumenical Patriarch of his exarchs in Ukraine 07 September 2018, 20:13
- Russian Orthodox Church pauses to clarify situation around Patriarch Bartholomew's remarks - Patriarch Kirill's press secretary 07 September 2018, 12:15
- Constantinople Patriarchate has exclusive rights to resolve problems of Orthodox world - Patriarch Bartholomew (updated) 06 September 2018, 18:50
- Patriarch Bartholomew's speech at Istanbul meeting heretical - Russian theologist 06 September 2018, 16:12
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church believes Ecumenical Patriarch fell victim of provocation regarding Ukrainian Church autocephaly 05 September 2018, 17:25
- Any unilateral actions by Constantinople Church on 'Ukrainian issue' to aggravate unrest in Ukraine - Ukrainian Orthodox Church (updated) 05 September 2018, 14:57
- Head of "Kiev Patriarchate" expects creation of unified local church in Ukraine before end of 2018 05 September 2018, 12:33
- Constantinople cannot proclaim Ukrainian Church's autocephaly on its own - Ukrainian Orthodox Church (updated) 04 September 2018, 12:16