17 January 2019
Topic of the day
Rada passes bill on transition of communities from one church to another
Kiev, January 17, Interfax - Ukraine's Verkhovnaya Rada has passed a bill outlining a mechanism governing changes in subordination for religious communities.
The bill, which amends the laws on subordination of religious organizations and procedures of state registration of religious organizations with the status of legal entity, was supported by 229 MPs at a plenary session of the Verkhovnaya Rada on Thursday.
The bill is related to legal issues that might arise as communities go over from the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Moscow Patriarchate to the new Orthodox Church of Ukraine, which received a tomos in Constantinople.
The bill would have the state recognize the right of a religious community to change its subordination by registering a new edition of its charter or amending the current charter.
A decision on changing subordination would be made by the assembly of a religious community. Such an assembly would be called by its members.
A decision would have to be made by at least two-thirds of a quorum and would need to be signed by members of the religious community who supported it.
Changes in the subordination of religious communities would not affect the content of the right of ownership or other property rights of such communities.
Members who disagree with such a decision would have the right to create a new community and sign a contract on procedures for using the house of worship and property with the owner (user).
These changes would be made to the Law on Freedom of Conscience and Religious Organizations.
The Law on the State Registration of Legal Entities, Private Individual Entrepreneurs, and Public Entities would also be amended.
If signed by the president, the bill will take effect the day following its publication.
Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 |
- Constantinople Patriarchate official to discuss Ukrainian Church's future in Georgia 05 June 2018, 18:10
- Serbian patriarch is listed in the Peacemaker base as an enemy of Ukraine 01 June 2018, 14:13
- Sixty thousand appeals handed over to the Patriarch of Constantinople from the faithful of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church 31 May 2018, 17:20
- Pope Francis says supports unity of Russian Orthodox Church 31 May 2018, 14:42
- Serbian patriarch supports the unity of the Russian Church 24 May 2018, 12:27
- Autocephalous Church will complete formation of Ukraine's spiritual independence, boost national security - Poroshenko 21 May 2018, 11:52
- Granting Ukrainian splinter autocephalous church status would be legal nonsense - Metropolitan Hilarion 15 May 2018, 11:58
- Establishing of the so-called one local Church in Ukraine will deepen the existing schism, the UOC official believes 11 May 2018, 17:15
- Metropolitan Hilarion hopes local Churches will support canonical Church in Ukraine 08 May 2018, 10:38
- Metropolitan Onufry: setting up a united local Church in Ukraine will make us second-rate people 07 May 2018, 15:18
- Metropolitan Hilarion foresees schism in Orthodoxy compared to the Great Schism if Ukrainian schismatics obtain autocephaly 04 May 2018, 12:36
- Kiev envoy goes to Istanbul with request on Ukrainian autocephaly for Ecumenical patriarch 20 April 2018, 17:35
- Metropolitan Hilarion on situation in Ukraine: secular administration cannot initiate creation of autocephalous Church (updated) 19 April 2018, 14:41
- Rada speaker hopes for approval of autocephalous Ukrainian Orthodox Church by late July 19 April 2018, 14:37
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church's autocephaly is geopolitical issue – Poroshenko 19 April 2018, 14:20
- Actions aimed at dividing church are not welcome - Peskov on situation in Ukraine 19 April 2018, 12:52
- Poroshenko to phone Patriarch Bartholomew to discuss autocephaly of Ukrainian Orthodox Church 19 April 2018, 12:43
- Rada backs Poroshenko request for Ecumenical Patriarch on setting up autocephalous local Orthodox Church in Ukraine (updated) 19 April 2018, 12:04
- Unity of Russian Orthodox Church must be supported by all Orthodox Churches - Metropolitan Hilarion (updated) 17 April 2018, 20:00
- Ukraine has right to have autonomous church – Poroshenko 07 September 2017, 12:08
- The Ecumenical Patriarch called the Donbass conflict a "fratricidal war" and prayed for peace in Ukraine 19 July 2017, 13:32
- Constantinople Church official denies rumors of its intention to found metropolia in Ukraine 05 August 2016, 16:53
- Russian Church considers words of Constantinople official about Ukraine's canonical status a journalistic fiction 04 August 2016, 10:28
- Constantinople official refused to participate in the cross procession of Ukrainian schismatics 29 July 2016, 14:55
- Only Patriarch Bartholomew can help Orthodox Ukrainians unite - Poroshenko 29 July 2016, 10:18