20 May 2019
Topic of the day
Patriarch Kirill wishes Ukraine's president Zelensky successes in uniting nation
Moscow, May 20, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia has offered kind wishes to new Ukrainian President Vladimir Zelensky.
"We hope that the newly-elected president will not repeat the mistakes of his predecessor and we sincerely wish him successes in uniting and reconciling the Ukrainian people," the patriarch said at an Easter reception at the Russian Foreign Ministry in Moscow on Monday.
He condemned the previous Ukrainian president Pyotr Poroshenko's project in "forced unification of Orthodox believers for the sake of creating a new church with a pronounced Russo-phobic political orientation."
Recent elections showed that "Ukrainian people disapprove of speculation of the religious factor in the political sphere," he said.
Towards the end of the elections the wave of takeovers of canonical churches and illegal closures of religious communities in Ukraine somewhat subsided, which "once again points to the artificiality of this process inspired by the previous government," the patriarch said.
The Ukrainian Orthodox Church avoids all kinds of politicization and brings together millions of Ukrainians regardless of their political convictions, and hopefully "its colossal peacemaking potential, underestimated by the previous regime, will be fully employed by the new authorities in Ukraine," Patriarch Kirill said.
Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 |
- Constantinople official refused to participate in the cross procession of Ukrainian schismatics 29 July 2016, 14:55
- Only Patriarch Bartholomew can help Orthodox Ukrainians unite - Poroshenko 29 July 2016, 10:18
- Moscow would like Venice Commission to react to Rada appeal on Ukrainian Orthodox Church's autocephaly 30 June 2016, 10:07
- Independence of the Ukrainian Church from Moscow can result in religious war - expert 24 June 2016, 12:07
- Ukrainian Church asks president, prosecutors to react to parliamentarians' address to Rada's initiative 17 June 2016, 10:20
- Rada's draft on giving autocephaly to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church is doomed to failure - expert 16 June 2016, 16:22
- Russian Orthodox Church finds Ukrainian Rada's initiative to be gross violation of law 16 June 2016, 14:52
- Kremlin not commenting on prospects of Ukrainian Orthodox Church autocephaly 16 June 2016, 14:38
- Rada calls on Ecumenical patriarch to give autocephaly to Ukraine's Orthodox Church 16 June 2016, 14:30
- Patriarch Kirill is not satisfied with actions made by the Constantinople Patriarchate officials in Ukraine 13 October 2015, 15:48
- UOC asks Constantinople not to interfere in church affairs in Ukraine 13 August 2015, 15:48
- Russian Church is ready to assist Constantinople to create favorable conditions for pastoral care of Orthodox population in Turkey 09 November 2010, 13:20
- Byelorussian autocephaly was not discussed between Lukashenko, Patriarch Bartholomew - administration 14 October 2010, 10:29
- Patriarch Bartholomew urged Ukrainian dissenters to join the Orthodox Church 31 May 2010, 12:32
- Patriarch Kirill gives an excursion in English for Patriarch Bartholomew in Tsarskoye Selo 31 May 2010, 12:27
- Patriarch Kirill: Russian and Constantinople Churches are coming closer together 31 May 2010, 12:09
- Bartholomew I asks Russian Church clerics to pray for reopening Orthodox seminary on Halki island 26 May 2010, 16:42
- Medvedev meets with Patriarch Kirill, Patriarch Bartholomew I of Constantinople 25 May 2010, 14:47
- Patriarch Kirill and Patriarch Bartholomew celebrate festival services in the Holy Trinity - St. Sergius Laura 24 May 2010, 12:16
- Protests of Constantinople flock prevent Metropolitan Hilarion from celebrating liturgy in Paris church 09 March 2010, 11:13
- Orthodox Ukrainians promise mass actions of protest if the Constantinople Patriarchate recognizes dissenters 05 October 2009, 12:44
- Constantinople Patriarchate risks throwing in their lot, Ukrainian theologian believes 04 September 2009, 14:12
- Sretensky choir disturbed Istanbul hotel at night during Patriarch Kirill’s visit to Turkey 08 July 2009, 15:06
- Patriarch Kirill held a "minute of silence" in St. Sophia, Istanbul 07 July 2009, 10:22
- Patriarch Kirill has consecrated the first Russian church in Turkey 06 July 2009, 18:24