20 May 2019
Topic of the day
Patriarch Kirill wishes Ukraine's president Zelensky successes in uniting nation
Moscow, May 20, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia has offered kind wishes to new Ukrainian President Vladimir Zelensky.
"We hope that the newly-elected president will not repeat the mistakes of his predecessor and we sincerely wish him successes in uniting and reconciling the Ukrainian people," the patriarch said at an Easter reception at the Russian Foreign Ministry in Moscow on Monday.
He condemned the previous Ukrainian president Pyotr Poroshenko's project in "forced unification of Orthodox believers for the sake of creating a new church with a pronounced Russo-phobic political orientation."
Recent elections showed that "Ukrainian people disapprove of speculation of the religious factor in the political sphere," he said.
Towards the end of the elections the wave of takeovers of canonical churches and illegal closures of religious communities in Ukraine somewhat subsided, which "once again points to the artificiality of this process inspired by the previous government," the patriarch said.
The Ukrainian Orthodox Church avoids all kinds of politicization and brings together millions of Ukrainians regardless of their political convictions, and hopefully "its colossal peacemaking potential, underestimated by the previous regime, will be fully employed by the new authorities in Ukraine," Patriarch Kirill said.
Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 |
- Belarusian Orthodox Church declares autocephalous Ukrainian church schismatic 21 December 2018, 17:06
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church sees no reason for name change 21 December 2018, 14:05
- Center of Ukrainian Orthodox Church is in Kiev, not in Moscow - Russian Orthodox Church 21 December 2018, 13:50
- Head of new Ukrainian church meets with U.S. ambassador in Kiev 21 December 2018, 13:16
- Constantinople Patriarchate is accomplice to persecution of Ukrainian Orthodox Church - Patriarch Kirill (updated) 21 December 2018, 12:32
- U.S. secretary of state's phone call to 'chief schismatic of Ukrainian church' is unprecedented - Peskov 21 December 2018, 12:00
- Rada decision to rename Ukrainian Orthodox Church nonsense, act of forgery - Russian MP 21 December 2018, 10:59
- Moscow Patriarchate compares the renaming of the UOC with the bandages of Jews under Hitler 21 December 2018, 10:58
- Authorities put in jeopardy existence of large Orthodox confession in Ukraine - head of opposition faction in Rada 21 December 2018, 10:50
- Parliamentary opposition in Rada to continue fighting against renaming of Ukrainian Orthodox Church 21 December 2018, 10:41
- UOC requests Poroshenko to reject bill on church renaming passed by Verkhovnaya Rada 21 December 2018, 10:39
- Renaming Ukrainian Orthodox Church will make believers in Ukraine look for enemies in churches, monasteries - Legoyda 20 December 2018, 18:44
- Main supporter of autocephaly in Ukrainian Orthodox Church says too soon to celebrate creation of new church 20 December 2018, 18:26
- U.S. support for schism in Ukraine is 'beyond all reason' – Putin (updated) 20 December 2018, 18:14
- Patriarch Kirill urges heads of other Orthodox Churches not to recognize Ukraine's new church (updated) 20 December 2018, 18:11
- Ukrainian state directly interfering in church affairs – Putin (updated) 20 December 2018, 18:06
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church says will protect its name (updated) 20 December 2018, 18:04
- Ukraine church schism ahead of election meant to split Russians, Ukrainians – Putin (updated) 20 December 2018, 18:01
- Rada obliges Ukrainian Orthodox Church to indicate affiliation with Russian Orthodox Church in its name (updated) 20 December 2018, 18:00
- Patriarch Bartholomew wants to subdue Ukrainian church, profit from it – Putin 20 December 2018, 14:48
- About 50 Vinnitsa priests who joined new local Ukrainian church rejoin Moscow Patriarchate's Ukrainian Orthodox Church 20 December 2018, 10:58
- Ukrainian politicians are pushing their people to ruin - Patriarch Kirill 19 December 2018, 18:11
- Poroshenko advises radicals against seizing Moscow Patriarchate's churches 19 December 2018, 12:07
- Ukrainian Security Service wants to question Kyiv-Pechersk Lavra's vicar 19 December 2018, 11:32
- Vatican's embassy denies having recognized new Ukrainian church 19 December 2018, 11:27