02 February 2014
Topic of the day
Patriarch Kirill celebrates his 70th birthday
Moscow, November 20, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia celebrates his 70th birthday on Sunday.
Heads and representatives of Orthodox churches arrived in Moscow to congratulate the primate. On Sunday they will celebrate the Divine Liturgy together with Patriarch Kirill in the Cathedral of Christ the Savior.
A photo exhibition dedicated to his ministry and church history in the 20th century has recently opened in Moscow on the occasion of the primate's jubilee.
Orthodox youth of the capital prepared a present to the patriarch - it is a big cake cooked under supervision of the best culinary experts, which will be conveyed to the patriarch after the service.
On the eve of the jubilee Patriarch Kirill asked rectors of Moscow churches not to give him flowers, but instead to donate money to St. Alexy Hospital located in the Russian capital.
Patriarch Kirill (secular name Vladimir M. Gundyayev) was born on November 20, 1946, in Leningrad. He is a priest in the third generation. The patriarch's grandfather in Soviet years actively struggled against closing churches and the renovation schism, he was subjected to repressions, went through 47 prisons and seven exiles and was among the first prisoners of the Solovetsky prison camp. He had seven children, but donated almost all his money to monasteries of Mount Athos. The patriarch's father also had ardent faith, was subjected to persecutions for faith and exiled to Kolyma.
Future Patriarch Kirill was very religious from the very childhood, and told that when he was three-four years old, he liked to "conduct serves" at home, to put on "sacerdotal robes" especially sewed for him. When he was six or seven, he was able to "conduct" a prayer service or a requiem without a single mistake. He was the only child at school who didn't join the pioneer organization.
He is a disciple of Metropolitan Nikodim (Rotov), who laid a foundation of the contemporary dialogue among Christians of various confessions and worked to save the Russian Church from elimination in times of Khrushchev and Brezhnev.
After graduation from secondary school, future Patriarch Kirill entered the Leningrad Seminary and later the Leningrad Theological Academy, from which he graduated cum laude in 1970. He was a representative of the Moscow Patriarchate at the World Council of Churches. He chaired the Department for External Church Relations from 1989 and managed the Smolensk and Kaliningrad Diocese over 20 years.
Patriarch Kirill's enthronement was held on February 1, 2009.
Time of his patriarchal ministry has already been marked with a number of important achievements: foundations of religious education were introduced in the school program, institute of chaplains was set up in military forces, diplomas of church higher education establishments are recognized by the state. Besides, the historic meeting between the primate of the Russian Church and the Pope of Rome took place under Patriarch Kirill.
Photo by the press service of Patriarch Kirill
Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 |
- 33 churches were restored in Moscow for the years of Patriarch Kirill's primatial service 03 February 2017, 11:12
- Putin personally congratulates Patriarch Kirill on enthronization day 01 February 2017, 17:51
- Patriarch Kirill to President Putin: we have built supporting structure for state-church relationship 23 November 2016, 11:00
- Russian Orthodox Church one of main spiritual pylons of Russian statehood - Putin 23 November 2016, 10:45
- Putin notes Patriarch Kirill's important contribution into joint work of church, state 23 November 2016, 10:40
- Putin, Medvedev visit Christ the Savior Cathedral to offer birthday congratulations to patriarch 23 November 2016, 10:30
- Patriarch Kirill receives piece of Francis of Assisi relics as birthday gift from Pope 23 November 2016, 10:25
- Group of Catholics in Argentine decide to covert in Orthodoxy after Patriarch Kirill's sermon 22 November 2016, 18:58
- Number of Orthodox churches up 5,000 under Patriarch Kirill 21 November 2016, 13:27
- Putin says most likely he was baptized by Patriarch Kirill's father 21 November 2016, 11:30
- Dodon invites Patriarch Kirill for pastoral visit to Moldova 21 November 2016, 10:44
- Russian Jews thank Patriarch Kirill for his position against anti-Semitism and xenophobia 20 November 2016, 18:25
- Putin notes closeness of opinions with patriarch despite emerging disputes sometimes 20 November 2016, 18:23
- Patriarch Kirill celebrates his 70th birthday 20 November 2016, 00:19
- Patriarch Kirill among ten Russians, compatriots trust most of all 28 May 2015, 11:12
- Patriarch Kirill is intelligent – poll 03 February 2014, 11:41
- Renowned political scientist believes Russian Church is savior of Russia and in future even Europe 03 February 2014, 10:04
- Many things happen for the first time under Patriarch Kirill - Metropolitan Hilarion 03 February 2014, 10:01
- Putin praises Russian Patriarch's care for citizens' concerns 01 February 2013, 18:02
- Patriarch Kirill on four years as Patriarch: a lot has been done, a lot remains to do 01 February 2013, 14:43
- Most Russians see Patriarch Kirill as national spiritual leader - poll 20 November 2012, 15:22
- The approval rating of Patriarch Kirill is the highest in Russia 01 October 2012, 17:32
- Russians want Orthodox Church to be more open and cancel fees for rites – poll 29 June 2012, 16:20
- Russian Church denies rumors about patriarch's involvement in business projects, fortune 20 February 2012, 14:27
- Patriarch Kirill is a significant figure not only in Russia, but all around the world, the Bulgarian hierarch says 22 November 2011, 13:44