08 December 2020
Topic of the day
Catholicos Karekin II of All Armenians urges PM Pashinyan to resign
Yerevan, December 8, Interfax - Catholicos Karekin II of All Armenians has called on Armenian Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan to step down in the wake of the defeat in the Nagorno-Karabakh war, and the internal political crisis in Armenia that followed it.
"I met with Nikol Pashinyan. In light of the exacerbated domestic political tensions and the low level of trust in the prime minister, we called on him to resign in order to avert shocks in society's life, possible clashes, and tragic consequences," Karekin II said in a statement circulated by his press service on Tuesday.
He urged the country's parliament to elect a new prime minister and form a transitional government together with political forces and in accordance with the constitution.
Catholicos Aram I of the Great House of Cilicia has also called on Pashinyan to resign as Armenia's prime minister.
"Amid today's crisis, we call on Nikol Pashinyan to resign. The parliament of Armenia should have the opportunity to elect a new prime minister in a constitutional way. We hope that a transitional government led by a new prime minister will organize early parliamentary elections," Aram I said in a statement circulated by the press service of the Catholicosate of the Great House of Cilicia on Tuesday.
The Catholicosate of the Great House of Cilicia is the Lebanon-headquartered autocephalous Catholicosate of the Armenian Apostolic Church which recognizes the primacy of Supreme Patriarch and Catholicos of All Armenians Karekin II.
Opposition parties have been holding protests in Yerevan since November 10 after the Armenian prime minister and the leaders of Russia and Azerbaijan adopted a statement on a ceasefire in Nagorno-Karabakh, the deployment of peacekeepers there, and the transfer of some areas in the region to Azerbaijan.
Armenia's three former presidents - Levon Ter-Petrosyan, Robert Kocharyan, and Serzh Sargsyan - earlier called on Pashinyan to step down.
Meanwhile, the Armenian opposition announced the start of protests and a civil disobedience campaign on Tuesday, demanding Pashinyan's resignation.
The opposition earlier nominated former Prime Minister Vazgen Manukyan for prime minister in the country's possible transitional government.
Page: 1 | 2 |
- Armenian Apostolic Church urges politicians to start talks 25 February 2021, 15:04
- Catholicos Karekin II of All Armenians urges PM Pashinyan to resign 08 December 2020, 13:16
- Armenian opposition member ends hunger strike after visit of catholicos 01 December 2020, 13:59
- Bomb threat to Yerevan's Blue Mosque proves false 15 July 2020, 11:37
- Sappers arrive at Yerevan's Blue Mosque after bomb threat received 15 July 2020, 10:31
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Armenian Church calls U.S. congressmen's recognition of Armenian genocide important for restoration of historical justice 30 October 2019, 15:35
- Kardashian was named Egine after baptizing in Armenia 11 October 2019, 10:47
- Kardashian baptized children in Armenia 08 October 2019, 10:12
- Karabakh settlement process cannot be one-way road - Catholicos of All Armenians 03 April 2019, 12:19
- Catholicos of All Armenians attended Aznavour farewell ceremony in Paris 08 October 2018, 11:56
- Police clear protesters from chancellery of head of Armenian Church 10 July 2018, 17:57
- Protesters break into Etchmiadzin Monastery, demand resignation of Armenian catholicos 06 July 2018, 12:42
- Catholicos of All Armenians, Armenian protest leader discuss ways of resolving crisis in country 28 April 2018, 11:07
- Catholicos of All Armenians urges protestors, police to exercise restraints 19 April 2018, 18:24
- Pope and Armenian president unveil monument to Armenian saint in Vatican Gardens 05 April 2018, 18:09
- Catholicos of All Armenians heading for Moscow to take part in Karabakh meeting 07 September 2017, 17:00
- Possible meeting between spiritual leaders of Armenia, Russia, Azerbaijan on Karabakh under discussion - Karekin II 13 April 2017, 18:31
- Priests tried to stop clashes of demonstrators with police in Yerevan 21 July 2016, 12:12
- Vatican-Ankara relations will not sour over Pope's statement on Armenian genocide - Holy See 27 June 2016, 10:45
- Pope Francis again calls 1915 events in Ottoman Empire 'genocide' 27 June 2016, 10:28
- Pope Francis has meeting in Etchmiadzin Monastery in Armenia 24 June 2016, 17:12
- Pope arrives in Armenia 24 June 2016, 14:19
- Turkey should recognize Armenian genocide for its own good - Russian Jewish community 06 June 2016, 10:00
- Heads of Armenian Churches donated a million dollars to Karabakh 19 April 2016, 11:43