11 September 2013
Topic of the day
Patriarch Kirill calls on Geneva II participants to stop war in Syria, release hostages
Moscow, January 21, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia said he is hoping the Geneva II conference will put an end to the war in Syria.
"The world is now hoping you will take drastic action to ensure a peaceful settlement of the bloody conflict in Syria. Your responsibility for this is hard to overestimate. The scales of the tragedy that has taken place in Syria for three years are huge," the patriarch said in his address to the participants in the international conference Geneva II, which will be held in Montreux, Switzerland, on January 22.
Patriarch Kirill called on all people of good will to stop the escalation of violence in Syria, "stop the intervention by terrorists and extremist groups, external financial and weapons support, and let the people of Syria decide what path they want to take."
The patriarch reiterated that everything possible needs to be done "for immediate and unconditional halt of the military action and the beginning of dialogue in Syria" and to ensure the safety and religious freedom of Christians and all other residents of the country, the communication service of the Synodal Department for External Church Relations reported on Tuesday.
"The priority step aimed at reaching peace and stability should be the release of hostages and the prevention of the desecration of holy places and monuments of culture and history," the address says.
Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 |
- Radical Islam followers from Europe, Central Asia fight for Syrian militants - Bortnikov 09 April 2014, 14:03
- West arms Islamists fighting in Syria - Kadyrov 01 April 2014, 10:34
- 98 churches, 1900 mosques destroyed in Syria – Syrian Ambassador 26 March 2014, 12:13
- Over 500 Muslim Brotherhood members sentenced to death in Egypt 24 March 2014, 12:39
- Russian Foreign Ministry welcomes release of Orthodox nuns in Syria 11 March 2014, 17:21
- Russia slams Western countries' attempts to "flirts" with Islamist rebels in Syria 03 March 2014, 10:11
- Extremists have no place in Syrian political processes - Russian and Antioch church leaders 30 January 2014, 18:05
- Lavrov calls claims on Syrian govt's using Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant to promote terrorism "unscrupulous" 29 January 2014, 15:44
- Christian exodus from Syria will become a civilization disaster for the whole Middle East - Matviyenko 29 January 2014, 10:01
- Patriarch Kirill, head of Antioch Church to discuss protection of Christians in Middle East 24 January 2014, 15:33
- Patriarch Kirill calls on Geneva II participants to stop war in Syria, release hostages 21 January 2014, 15:50
- War crimes committed in Syria by both parties, most violent ones by Jihadists – Lavrov 21 January 2014, 15:38
- Imperial Orthodox Palestine Society asks UN to defend Syrian Christians 26 December 2013, 16:29
- Moscow condemns Baghdad church bombing 26 December 2013, 10:38
- Moscow concerned about Islamist insurgents seizing military warehouses in northern Syria 13 December 2013, 10:01
- Moscow, Antioch Patriarchates call for release of kidnapped Syrian nuns 04 December 2013, 15:47
- Russia wants terror attacks stopped against religious figures, worship sites in Syria 04 December 2013, 12:16
- Patriarch Kirill expressed concerns about exodus by Christians from Iraq 27 November 2013, 14:29
- Over sixty churches, monasteries destroyed in Syria 25 November 2013, 10:05
- Two militants from Russia capture Syrian village to set up a "caliphate" 29 October 2013, 10:24
- Abducted Syrian metropolitans are alive - supreme mufti of Syria 29 October 2013, 10:00
- Imperial Orthodox Palestine Society to send 10 tonnes of baby food to Syria 28 October 2013, 10:11
- Over 3,000 natives of Russia and other CIS states fight on opposition's side in Syria – mufti 25 October 2013, 13:01
- Islamists may lose power in Tunisia after Egypt - Russian senator 24 October 2013, 13:43
- Kazakh security services deny that 150 members of one family fighting in Syria 22 October 2013, 17:03