17 June 2015
Topic of the day
Russian military participation in Syria should bring peace to region - patriarch Kirill
Moscow, September 30, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia has expressed hopes that Russia's participation in the solution of the Syrian conflict will bring peace to the region.
"The Russian Federation has made a responsible decision on the use of armed forces to defend the people of Syria from the sorrows caused by the arbitrariness of terrorists. We believe this decision will bring peace and justice closer to this ancient land," the patriarch said in a statement quoted by the press service for the Synodal Information Department on Wednesday.
"Wishing peace to the peoples of Syria, Iraq and other countries of the Middle East, we pray for this tough local conflict not to develop into a major war, for the use of force not to lead to the death of civilians, and for all Russian military [personnel] to return home alive," the patriarch said.
He reiterated that the Russian Orthodox Church has more than once called on the administrations of Russia, other countries and international organizations not to ignore the suffering of civilians in Syria and other countries of the region.
"We know about the catastrophic situation that the people who have become the targets of extremists and terrorists are now in, and not from hearsay, but from personal meetings with the religious leaders of the Middle East," the statement says.
The patriarch said Orthodox Christians were deeply saddened by the numerous instances of violence against Christians in the region, abductions and killings of bishops and monks, barbaric destruction of ancient temples, adding that "the Muslims of these places, which are holy to representatives of all Abrahamic religions, suffer as well."
"Unfortunately, the political process did not lead to any significant improvement of the situation of these innocent people and they need military protection," the patriarch said.
Photo by the press service of Patriarch Kirill
Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 |
- Kremlin thanks Russian religious leaders for support fight against terror in Syria 09 October 2015, 17:51
- Russia's peace, welfare hinge on success of its air force operation in Syria - Patriarch Kirill 09 October 2015, 12:25
- Number of Islamic State members in Afghanistan reaches 3,500 over past year - Russian diplomat 08 October 2015, 17:59
- Moscow denies Lavrov's meetings with Khamenei 07 October 2015, 17:19
- Russian operation in Syria is no relation to Sunni-Shiite conflict - Kadyrov 07 October 2015, 16:20
- Moscow mufti dubs Saudi clerics' decision to declare jihad against Russia as 'independent action' 07 October 2015, 11:45
- IS might be deliberately bombing mosques in Syria to put blame on Russian Air Force - Russian Defense Ministry 07 October 2015, 10:24
- IS terrorists find shelter from Russian airstrikes in mosques - Russian Defense Ministry 07 October 2015, 10:00
- Three ISIL members detained in Chechnya 02 October 2015, 16:02
- Supreme mufti backs Russia's decision to launch military operation against ISIL 02 October 2015, 10:05
- Lavrov discusses situation in Mideast with OIC secretary-general 01 October 2015, 10:53
- Russian military participation in Syria should bring peace to region - patriarch Kirill 30 September 2015, 18:35
- Number of citizens of Russia, CIS states joining ISIS grows hourly, there are thousands of them – Kremlin 30 September 2015, 11:32
- Putin calls for broad international anti-terrorist coalition with the participation of Muslim countries 29 September 2015, 10:05
- ISIL distorts, compromises Islam – Putin 23 September 2015, 12:58
- Some 2,400 Russians fighting for ISIL - FSB 18 September 2015, 11:31
- Russia's Muslims support fight against terrorism in Syria - Mufti Gainutdin 18 September 2015, 10:51
- Uzbek court gives ISIS supporters lengthy prison sentences 17 September 2015, 20:45
- True Muslims strong enough to stop ISIL, which 'is stretching its bloody hand' to Mecca, Medina and Jerusalem - Kadyrov 16 September 2015, 16:34
- Putin: We are worried about possible return of Russian ISIL fighters to Russia 15 September 2015, 12:01
- Russian Investigative Committee probing info on attempts to recruit Russians to ISIL 09 September 2015, 10:00
- ISIL recruits IT specialists, doctors, engineers in Uzbekistan 04 September 2015, 10:18
- Baku court sentences five IS members to many years in jail 03 September 2015, 10:01
- Cultural monuments in Syria, Iraq need to be protected from Islamists – Lavrov 01 September 2015, 11:12
- Fourteen suspected ISIS propagandists detained in Tajikistan 31 August 2015, 12:58