18 April 2018
Topic of the day
Patriarch Kirill, Pope Francis urge world leaders to relieve tensions in international relations
Moscow, April 18, Interfax - The leaders of the Russian Orthodox Church, the Roman Catholic Church, and Christian leaders of the Middle East have called on world leaders to relieve tensions in international relations.
"Our world has reached a point where there is a real danger of a breakdown in international relations and cooperation for the common good of the human family," Metropolitan Hilarion, the head of the Moscow Patriarchate's Department for External Church Relations, said in quoting a statement agreed upon between Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia and Pope Francis and supported by the primates of a number of Christian Churches of the Middle East.
"Clearly, the horrors of the world wars of the last century can hardly be compared with the dire consequences of a world war at the present time," the statement says.
The telephone conversation between Patriarch Kirill and Pope Francis took place the morning after the U.S.-led coalition struck Syria.
"In the face of this terrible threat, we appeal to all world leaders to recognize their responsibility before their respective nations, before mankind, and before God," the statement says.
"Together we call upon the political leaders to avoid a further escalation of tensions, to eschew confrontation, and to embrace dialogue," it says.
Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 |
- Some 2,400 Russians fighting for ISIL - FSB 18 September 2015, 11:31
- Russia's Muslims support fight against terrorism in Syria - Mufti Gainutdin 18 September 2015, 10:51
- Uzbek court gives ISIS supporters lengthy prison sentences 17 September 2015, 20:45
- True Muslims strong enough to stop ISIL, which 'is stretching its bloody hand' to Mecca, Medina and Jerusalem - Kadyrov 16 September 2015, 16:34
- Putin: We are worried about possible return of Russian ISIL fighters to Russia 15 September 2015, 12:01
- Russian Investigative Committee probing info on attempts to recruit Russians to ISIL 09 September 2015, 10:00
- ISIL recruits IT specialists, doctors, engineers in Uzbekistan 04 September 2015, 10:18
- Baku court sentences five IS members to many years in jail 03 September 2015, 10:01
- Cultural monuments in Syria, Iraq need to be protected from Islamists – Lavrov 01 September 2015, 11:12
- Fourteen suspected ISIS propagandists detained in Tajikistan 31 August 2015, 12:58
- Russian soldiers will learn methods of struggle against Islamic radicals and sects 26 August 2015, 13:07
- Teenagers hoist ISIL flag in southern Tajikistan 19 August 2015, 12:34
- Number of young people joining Islamic State declines sharply in Chechnya - Kadyrov 11 August 2015, 15:04
- Kazakh Islamist sentenced to 13 years for "jihad" propaganda 11 August 2015, 12:23
- Tajikistan exempts from liability 36 repenting ISIL followers 10 August 2015, 12:47
- Russian Public Chamber reports creation of hotline to fight ISIS recruiters 04 August 2015, 10:04
- IS militants could include tens of thousands of Europeans - EU official 31 July 2015, 10:01
- Islamic State recruits people worldwide – Bortnikov 29 July 2015, 11:46
- No way back to Chechnya for those joining Islamic State – Kadyrov 22 July 2015, 12:23
- State Duma deputy asks Russian foreign minister to initiate international tribunal for ISIL 21 July 2015, 11:20
- ISIL recruiting new members in Khabarovsk Territory - local Muslims 15 July 2015, 11:06
- Karimov urges creation of special UN body to tackle IS problem 13 July 2015, 10:04
- Russians tend to see Islamic State as threat to country's security - poll 13 July 2015, 10:03
- Around 2,000 current, former Russian citizens fight for Islamic State – Lavrov (updated) 09 July 2015, 12:10
- Uzbekistan concerned about women's recruitment for ISIL 26 June 2015, 11:47