20 November 2019
Topic of the day
Putin stresses importance of joint efforts to protect Christians in Middle East
Moscow, November 20, Interfax - Russian President Vladimir Putin has reaffirmed his plans to visit Israel in mid-January and said that he wants to protect further the interests of the Christians in the Middle East jointly with the Russian Orthodox Church and other local Churches.
On Wednesday, Putin met with Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia and Patriarch Theophilos III of Jerusalem and All Palestine who arrived to Moscow to receive the Patriarch Alexy II Award. The meeting took place at the Patriarch's Chambers of the Moscow Kremlin.
"I realize in what a complicated situation the Christians in the Middle East, that is, in their cradle, ended up," Putin said at the meeting. "We need to unite efforts here in order to protect their interests. Any dissociation causes a severe damage to the Christian world in general and to the Christians in the Middle East in particular," the Russian president said.
"Of course, we should do that jointly with representatives of other confessions and, above all, this concerns the Middle East, namely, our brothers and sisters among representatives of the Islam," Putin said.
"We are maintaining very close contacts with them and are actually working jointly very efficiently, resolving our common tasks to protect our common traditional values," Putin said.
The Russian president said that next year, in mid-January, he will visit Israel "both on the occasion of the Day of Remembrance of the Victims of the Holocaust and on the occasion of unveiling a new monument dedicated to the victims sustained by the peoples of our country during the Second World War, and, in this case, to the victims of the siege of Leningrad."
"I think that the interaction with Israel is also of serious significance," Putin added. "And, we, thanks God, have established very good relations with the Israeli leadership and with representatives of the Jews in the Russian Federation who are in a certain sense a bridge in our interstate relations," the president said.
Photo by the Kremlin press service
Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 |
- Uzbek court gives ISIS supporters lengthy prison sentences 17 September 2015, 20:45
- True Muslims strong enough to stop ISIL, which 'is stretching its bloody hand' to Mecca, Medina and Jerusalem - Kadyrov 16 September 2015, 16:34
- Putin: We are worried about possible return of Russian ISIL fighters to Russia 15 September 2015, 12:01
- Russian Investigative Committee probing info on attempts to recruit Russians to ISIL 09 September 2015, 10:00
- ISIL recruits IT specialists, doctors, engineers in Uzbekistan 04 September 2015, 10:18
- Baku court sentences five IS members to many years in jail 03 September 2015, 10:01
- Cultural monuments in Syria, Iraq need to be protected from Islamists – Lavrov 01 September 2015, 11:12
- Fourteen suspected ISIS propagandists detained in Tajikistan 31 August 2015, 12:58
- Russian soldiers will learn methods of struggle against Islamic radicals and sects 26 August 2015, 13:07
- Teenagers hoist ISIL flag in southern Tajikistan 19 August 2015, 12:34
- Number of young people joining Islamic State declines sharply in Chechnya - Kadyrov 11 August 2015, 15:04
- Kazakh Islamist sentenced to 13 years for "jihad" propaganda 11 August 2015, 12:23
- Tajikistan exempts from liability 36 repenting ISIL followers 10 August 2015, 12:47
- Russian Public Chamber reports creation of hotline to fight ISIS recruiters 04 August 2015, 10:04
- IS militants could include tens of thousands of Europeans - EU official 31 July 2015, 10:01
- Islamic State recruits people worldwide – Bortnikov 29 July 2015, 11:46
- No way back to Chechnya for those joining Islamic State – Kadyrov 22 July 2015, 12:23
- State Duma deputy asks Russian foreign minister to initiate international tribunal for ISIL 21 July 2015, 11:20
- ISIL recruiting new members in Khabarovsk Territory - local Muslims 15 July 2015, 11:06
- Karimov urges creation of special UN body to tackle IS problem 13 July 2015, 10:04
- Russians tend to see Islamic State as threat to country's security - poll 13 July 2015, 10:03
- Around 2,000 current, former Russian citizens fight for Islamic State – Lavrov (updated) 09 July 2015, 12:10
- Uzbekistan concerned about women's recruitment for ISIL 26 June 2015, 11:47
- Tajik leader brands IS 'plague of the century' 26 June 2015, 10:16
- Patrushev dubs activity of ISIL terrorists as main threat to peace, security 25 June 2015, 15:55