05 December 2017
Topic of the day
Russia to help Christian, Muslim, Jewish refugees to return to Syria - Putin
Novo-Ogaryovo, December 5, Interfax - Russia will try to help not only Christian but also Muslim and Jewish refugees return to Syria, Russian President Vladimir Putin said.
"We will also be helping members of other denominations, including those professing Islam, who, as we know very well, have also suffered very seriously at the hands of thugs, terrorists, and radicals. We will also be helping Jews, and some Jewish organizations have already asked us to help restore Jewish shrines," Putin said at a meeting with the heads of delegations of local Orthodox Churches.
Russia is maintaining "contact with members of the Jewish population in Syria, namely some Jewish organizations, from the United states, including from New York City," he said.
The situation in Syria is gradually changing, and the Syrian armed forces, supported by Russian troops, have liberated virtually the entire territory of the country, including places historically inhabited predominantly by Christians, Putin said.
"I believe the return of the Christian population of Syria could play a very important role," he said.
Putin mentioned the work of a special task force including members of the Russian Orthodox Church and the Roman Catholic Church, who are tasked with compiling a catalogue of churches destroyed in Syria with a view to their restoration.
Photo by press servise of Russian president
Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 |
- IS funded by Afghan heroin profits - FSKN 26 November 2014, 15:44
- Tajik Islamists use Moscow as a crossing point between Tajikistan and Syria 25 November 2014, 13:48
- Russian Orthodox Church: Christian suffering in Middle East caused by West indifference 12 November 2014, 17:19
- Syrian conflict a menace for Christian population in Middle East - Russian diplomat 11 November 2014, 18:10
- Events in Middle East leading to catastrophe - Patriarch Kirill 05 November 2014, 10:03
- "Islamic caliphate" is more dangerous than World War III 31 October 2014, 10:44
- Secularists seemingly getting superiority over Islamists in Libya war - analyst 30 October 2014, 18:03
- ISIS is no use for the USA and threatens to destroy entire Islamic civilization 29 October 2014, 18:06
- ISIS is instrument for unleashing World War III 29 October 2014, 17:27
- Syrian mufti, Russian communist leader slam U.S. policies towards Damascus, Moscow 29 October 2014, 11:16
- Islamists on rise in C. Asia as CU, SCO expected to expand - expert 23 October 2014, 10:01
- Over forty citizens of Georgia may be fighting in Syria on Islamic State side - media 10 October 2014, 18:06
- Most Russians unaware of ISIL, others see it as threat to peace, Russia - poll 09 October 2014, 18:12
- Extremist ideologists use unsanctioned U.S. operations in Syria to stoke radical sentiments - Russian Foreign Ministry 09 October 2014, 16:01
- Moscow Patriarchate calls for cessation of genocide of Christians in Iraq 14 August 2014, 17:48
- Establishing of Islamic Caliphate in Iraq threatens Russia 08 August 2014, 17:18
- Patriarch Kirill presents toys to Syrian children 01 August 2014, 16:46
- Orthodox Syrian children arrive in Russia for a holiday 30 July 2014, 13:09
- Putin expects Orthodox Church to contribute to Middle East settlement 21 July 2014, 10:01
- Stepashin wishes Assad "swift victory over forces of evil" 06 June 2014, 10:05
- Over 60 churches destroyed in Syria, thousands of Christians become refugees - Russian MP 03 June 2014, 15:11
- Radical Islam followers from Europe, Central Asia fight for Syrian militants - Bortnikov 09 April 2014, 14:03
- West arms Islamists fighting in Syria - Kadyrov 01 April 2014, 10:34
- 98 churches, 1900 mosques destroyed in Syria – Syrian Ambassador 26 March 2014, 12:13
- Over 500 Muslim Brotherhood members sentenced to death in Egypt 24 March 2014, 12:39