18 April 2018
Topic of the day
Patriarch Kirill, Pope Francis urge world leaders to relieve tensions in international relations
Moscow, April 18, Interfax - The leaders of the Russian Orthodox Church, the Roman Catholic Church, and Christian leaders of the Middle East have called on world leaders to relieve tensions in international relations.
"Our world has reached a point where there is a real danger of a breakdown in international relations and cooperation for the common good of the human family," Metropolitan Hilarion, the head of the Moscow Patriarchate's Department for External Church Relations, said in quoting a statement agreed upon between Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia and Pope Francis and supported by the primates of a number of Christian Churches of the Middle East.
"Clearly, the horrors of the world wars of the last century can hardly be compared with the dire consequences of a world war at the present time," the statement says.
The telephone conversation between Patriarch Kirill and Pope Francis took place the morning after the U.S.-led coalition struck Syria.
"In the face of this terrible threat, we appeal to all world leaders to recognize their responsibility before their respective nations, before mankind, and before God," the statement says.
"Together we call upon the political leaders to avoid a further escalation of tensions, to eschew confrontation, and to embrace dialogue," it says.
Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 |
- Syria jihad recruiters spotted in southern Kyrgyzstan 10 December 2014, 17:06
- IS funded by Afghan heroin profits - FSKN 26 November 2014, 15:44
- Tajik Islamists use Moscow as a crossing point between Tajikistan and Syria 25 November 2014, 13:48
- Russian Orthodox Church: Christian suffering in Middle East caused by West indifference 12 November 2014, 17:19
- Syrian conflict a menace for Christian population in Middle East - Russian diplomat 11 November 2014, 18:10
- Events in Middle East leading to catastrophe - Patriarch Kirill 05 November 2014, 10:03
- "Islamic caliphate" is more dangerous than World War III 31 October 2014, 10:44
- Secularists seemingly getting superiority over Islamists in Libya war - analyst 30 October 2014, 18:03
- ISIS is no use for the USA and threatens to destroy entire Islamic civilization 29 October 2014, 18:06
- ISIS is instrument for unleashing World War III 29 October 2014, 17:27
- Syrian mufti, Russian communist leader slam U.S. policies towards Damascus, Moscow 29 October 2014, 11:16
- Islamists on rise in C. Asia as CU, SCO expected to expand - expert 23 October 2014, 10:01
- Over forty citizens of Georgia may be fighting in Syria on Islamic State side - media 10 October 2014, 18:06
- Most Russians unaware of ISIL, others see it as threat to peace, Russia - poll 09 October 2014, 18:12
- Extremist ideologists use unsanctioned U.S. operations in Syria to stoke radical sentiments - Russian Foreign Ministry 09 October 2014, 16:01
- Moscow Patriarchate calls for cessation of genocide of Christians in Iraq 14 August 2014, 17:48
- Establishing of Islamic Caliphate in Iraq threatens Russia 08 August 2014, 17:18
- Patriarch Kirill presents toys to Syrian children 01 August 2014, 16:46
- Orthodox Syrian children arrive in Russia for a holiday 30 July 2014, 13:09
- Putin expects Orthodox Church to contribute to Middle East settlement 21 July 2014, 10:01
- Stepashin wishes Assad "swift victory over forces of evil" 06 June 2014, 10:05
- Over 60 churches destroyed in Syria, thousands of Christians become refugees - Russian MP 03 June 2014, 15:11
- Radical Islam followers from Europe, Central Asia fight for Syrian militants - Bortnikov 09 April 2014, 14:03
- West arms Islamists fighting in Syria - Kadyrov 01 April 2014, 10:34
- 98 churches, 1900 mosques destroyed in Syria – Syrian Ambassador 26 March 2014, 12:13