20 November 2019
Topic of the day
Putin stresses importance of joint efforts to protect Christians in Middle East
Moscow, November 20, Interfax - Russian President Vladimir Putin has reaffirmed his plans to visit Israel in mid-January and said that he wants to protect further the interests of the Christians in the Middle East jointly with the Russian Orthodox Church and other local Churches.
On Wednesday, Putin met with Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia and Patriarch Theophilos III of Jerusalem and All Palestine who arrived to Moscow to receive the Patriarch Alexy II Award. The meeting took place at the Patriarch's Chambers of the Moscow Kremlin.
"I realize in what a complicated situation the Christians in the Middle East, that is, in their cradle, ended up," Putin said at the meeting. "We need to unite efforts here in order to protect their interests. Any dissociation causes a severe damage to the Christian world in general and to the Christians in the Middle East in particular," the Russian president said.
"Of course, we should do that jointly with representatives of other confessions and, above all, this concerns the Middle East, namely, our brothers and sisters among representatives of the Islam," Putin said.
"We are maintaining very close contacts with them and are actually working jointly very efficiently, resolving our common tasks to protect our common traditional values," Putin said.
The Russian president said that next year, in mid-January, he will visit Israel "both on the occasion of the Day of Remembrance of the Victims of the Holocaust and on the occasion of unveiling a new monument dedicated to the victims sustained by the peoples of our country during the Second World War, and, in this case, to the victims of the siege of Leningrad."
"I think that the interaction with Israel is also of serious significance," Putin added. "And, we, thanks God, have established very good relations with the Israeli leadership and with representatives of the Jews in the Russian Federation who are in a certain sense a bridge in our interstate relations," the president said.
Photo by the Kremlin press service
Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 |
- Novosibirsk police uncover attempts to recruit fighters for Islamic State 05 February 2015, 12:57
- Russian Supreme Court says North Caucasian jihadists fighting for ISIL 30 January 2015, 16:14
- Foreign Ministry: Over 800 of Russians fighting for ISIL 16 January 2015, 17:43
- Kadyrov thinks ISIL poses no threat to Russia 07 January 2015, 18:49
- Russian Foreign Ministry urges all countries to outlaw Islamic State 30 December 2014, 10:04
- Russian diplomat discusses condition of Christians in Mideast, situation in Syria at meetings in Lebanon 15 December 2014, 10:08
- IOPS to present White Book on slain Mideast Christians at UN 15 December 2014, 10:03
- Arab Spring, IS aimed at demonizing Islam - Patriarch Kirill 12 December 2014, 17:49
- Metropolitan Hilarion condemns anti-Christian "genocide" in M. East 11 December 2014, 17:17
- Syria jihad recruiters spotted in southern Kyrgyzstan 10 December 2014, 17:06
- IS funded by Afghan heroin profits - FSKN 26 November 2014, 15:44
- Tajik Islamists use Moscow as a crossing point between Tajikistan and Syria 25 November 2014, 13:48
- Russian Orthodox Church: Christian suffering in Middle East caused by West indifference 12 November 2014, 17:19
- Syrian conflict a menace for Christian population in Middle East - Russian diplomat 11 November 2014, 18:10
- Events in Middle East leading to catastrophe - Patriarch Kirill 05 November 2014, 10:03
- "Islamic caliphate" is more dangerous than World War III 31 October 2014, 10:44
- Secularists seemingly getting superiority over Islamists in Libya war - analyst 30 October 2014, 18:03
- ISIS is no use for the USA and threatens to destroy entire Islamic civilization 29 October 2014, 18:06
- ISIS is instrument for unleashing World War III 29 October 2014, 17:27
- Syrian mufti, Russian communist leader slam U.S. policies towards Damascus, Moscow 29 October 2014, 11:16
- Islamists on rise in C. Asia as CU, SCO expected to expand - expert 23 October 2014, 10:01
- Over forty citizens of Georgia may be fighting in Syria on Islamic State side - media 10 October 2014, 18:06
- Most Russians unaware of ISIL, others see it as threat to peace, Russia - poll 09 October 2014, 18:12
- Extremist ideologists use unsanctioned U.S. operations in Syria to stoke radical sentiments - Russian Foreign Ministry 09 October 2014, 16:01
- Moscow Patriarchate calls for cessation of genocide of Christians in Iraq 14 August 2014, 17:48