18 April 2018
Topic of the day
Patriarch Kirill, Pope Francis urge world leaders to relieve tensions in international relations
Moscow, April 18, Interfax - The leaders of the Russian Orthodox Church, the Roman Catholic Church, and Christian leaders of the Middle East have called on world leaders to relieve tensions in international relations.
"Our world has reached a point where there is a real danger of a breakdown in international relations and cooperation for the common good of the human family," Metropolitan Hilarion, the head of the Moscow Patriarchate's Department for External Church Relations, said in quoting a statement agreed upon between Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia and Pope Francis and supported by the primates of a number of Christian Churches of the Middle East.
"Clearly, the horrors of the world wars of the last century can hardly be compared with the dire consequences of a world war at the present time," the statement says.
The telephone conversation between Patriarch Kirill and Pope Francis took place the morning after the U.S.-led coalition struck Syria.
"In the face of this terrible threat, we appeal to all world leaders to recognize their responsibility before their respective nations, before mankind, and before God," the statement says.
"Together we call upon the political leaders to avoid a further escalation of tensions, to eschew confrontation, and to embrace dialogue," it says.
Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 |
- Russia ready for dialogue with Islamists who are coming to power in Middle East, Northern Africa 14 February 2012, 13:22
- Sunni states play leading role in attempts to overthrow Syrian regime – analyst 10 February 2012, 15:42
- Head of Russia's Council of Muftis supports efforts to ward off Libya scenario in Syria 08 February 2012, 17:10
- Putin vows Russia will defend persecuted Christians abroad 08 February 2012, 16:59
- Lavrov asks West to help overcome Sunni-Shia standoff 09 December 2011, 15:41
- NATO assists assertion of radical political Islam - Rogozin 07 December 2011, 11:40
- Patriarch Kirill fears all Christians could leave Arab world 02 December 2011, 13:14
- Patriarch Kirill prays for peaceful outcome of Arab revolutions 15 November 2011, 13:33
- Assad regime will not survive - Muslim scholar 15 November 2011, 10:02
- Islamization of Tunisia, Egypt possible - Margelov 15 November 2011, 10:01
- Patriarch Kirill links religious extremism to poor knowledge of religion 14 November 2011, 13:31
- Patriarch Kirill concerns about increasing Christianophobia in some Arab countries 14 November 2011, 12:26
- Patriarch Kirill arrives in Lebanon 14 November 2011, 12:11
- Patriarch Kirill's visit to Syria will strengthen ties with Russia - al-Assad 14 November 2011, 10:03
- Patriarch Kirill plans to meet with Syrian president (updated) 11 November 2011, 14:24
- Patriarch Kirill to visit Syria, Lebanon 11 November 2011, 12:28
- Political scientist predicts blossom of radical Islam and civil war in Libya 26 October 2011, 10:46
- Gaddafi's Russian daughter-in-law tells how she adopted Islam and was beaten up 26 October 2011, 10:19
- Patriarch Kirill worried that events in Arab world are perceived as Christian-Muslim conflict 11 October 2011, 18:12
- Russian Islamologist doesn't exclude reign of Sunnite monarchies in the Middle East 06 October 2011, 16:38
- NATO uses Islamists to turn over Gaddafi - expert 21 September 2011, 14:43
- Patriarch Kirill's visit to Syria, Lebanon may be postponed 09 September 2011, 14:05
- Kremlin's Africa envoy alarmed by Nigerian islamists` influence on volatile Arab states 29 August 2011, 10:25
- Arab world doesn't go to new stage of development with Islamic flags, Primakov believes 28 July 2011, 11:54
- OIC wants Syria to start national dialogue, political settlement 28 June 2011, 12:19