20 November 2019
Topic of the day
Putin stresses importance of joint efforts to protect Christians in Middle East
Moscow, November 20, Interfax - Russian President Vladimir Putin has reaffirmed his plans to visit Israel in mid-January and said that he wants to protect further the interests of the Christians in the Middle East jointly with the Russian Orthodox Church and other local Churches.
On Wednesday, Putin met with Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia and Patriarch Theophilos III of Jerusalem and All Palestine who arrived to Moscow to receive the Patriarch Alexy II Award. The meeting took place at the Patriarch's Chambers of the Moscow Kremlin.
"I realize in what a complicated situation the Christians in the Middle East, that is, in their cradle, ended up," Putin said at the meeting. "We need to unite efforts here in order to protect their interests. Any dissociation causes a severe damage to the Christian world in general and to the Christians in the Middle East in particular," the Russian president said.
"Of course, we should do that jointly with representatives of other confessions and, above all, this concerns the Middle East, namely, our brothers and sisters among representatives of the Islam," Putin said.
"We are maintaining very close contacts with them and are actually working jointly very efficiently, resolving our common tasks to protect our common traditional values," Putin said.
The Russian president said that next year, in mid-January, he will visit Israel "both on the occasion of the Day of Remembrance of the Victims of the Holocaust and on the occasion of unveiling a new monument dedicated to the victims sustained by the peoples of our country during the Second World War, and, in this case, to the victims of the siege of Leningrad."
"I think that the interaction with Israel is also of serious significance," Putin added. "And, we, thanks God, have established very good relations with the Israeli leadership and with representatives of the Jews in the Russian Federation who are in a certain sense a bridge in our interstate relations," the president said.
Photo by the Kremlin press service
Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 |
- Head of Russia's Council of Muftis supports efforts to ward off Libya scenario in Syria 08 February 2012, 17:10
- Putin vows Russia will defend persecuted Christians abroad 08 February 2012, 16:59
- Lavrov asks West to help overcome Sunni-Shia standoff 09 December 2011, 15:41
- NATO assists assertion of radical political Islam - Rogozin 07 December 2011, 11:40
- Patriarch Kirill fears all Christians could leave Arab world 02 December 2011, 13:14
- Patriarch Kirill prays for peaceful outcome of Arab revolutions 15 November 2011, 13:33
- Assad regime will not survive - Muslim scholar 15 November 2011, 10:02
- Islamization of Tunisia, Egypt possible - Margelov 15 November 2011, 10:01
- Patriarch Kirill links religious extremism to poor knowledge of religion 14 November 2011, 13:31
- Patriarch Kirill concerns about increasing Christianophobia in some Arab countries 14 November 2011, 12:26
- Patriarch Kirill arrives in Lebanon 14 November 2011, 12:11
- Patriarch Kirill's visit to Syria will strengthen ties with Russia - al-Assad 14 November 2011, 10:03
- Patriarch Kirill plans to meet with Syrian president (updated) 11 November 2011, 14:24
- Patriarch Kirill to visit Syria, Lebanon 11 November 2011, 12:28
- Political scientist predicts blossom of radical Islam and civil war in Libya 26 October 2011, 10:46
- Gaddafi's Russian daughter-in-law tells how she adopted Islam and was beaten up 26 October 2011, 10:19
- Patriarch Kirill worried that events in Arab world are perceived as Christian-Muslim conflict 11 October 2011, 18:12
- Russian Islamologist doesn't exclude reign of Sunnite monarchies in the Middle East 06 October 2011, 16:38
- NATO uses Islamists to turn over Gaddafi - expert 21 September 2011, 14:43
- Patriarch Kirill's visit to Syria, Lebanon may be postponed 09 September 2011, 14:05
- Kremlin's Africa envoy alarmed by Nigerian islamists` influence on volatile Arab states 29 August 2011, 10:25
- Arab world doesn't go to new stage of development with Islamic flags, Primakov believes 28 July 2011, 11:54
- OIC wants Syria to start national dialogue, political settlement 28 June 2011, 12:19
- No tourist dress code to be introduced in Egypt 26 May 2011, 15:09
- Egypt contemplates dress code for tourists 25 May 2011, 12:29