05 December 2017
Topic of the day
Russia to help Christian, Muslim, Jewish refugees to return to Syria - Putin
Novo-Ogaryovo, December 5, Interfax - Russia will try to help not only Christian but also Muslim and Jewish refugees return to Syria, Russian President Vladimir Putin said.
"We will also be helping members of other denominations, including those professing Islam, who, as we know very well, have also suffered very seriously at the hands of thugs, terrorists, and radicals. We will also be helping Jews, and some Jewish organizations have already asked us to help restore Jewish shrines," Putin said at a meeting with the heads of delegations of local Orthodox Churches.
Russia is maintaining "contact with members of the Jewish population in Syria, namely some Jewish organizations, from the United states, including from New York City," he said.
The situation in Syria is gradually changing, and the Syrian armed forces, supported by Russian troops, have liberated virtually the entire territory of the country, including places historically inhabited predominantly by Christians, Putin said.
"I believe the return of the Christian population of Syria could play a very important role," he said.
Putin mentioned the work of a special task force including members of the Russian Orthodox Church and the Roman Catholic Church, who are tasked with compiling a catalogue of churches destroyed in Syria with a view to their restoration.
Photo by press servise of Russian president
Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 |
- Number of Islamic State members in Afghanistan reaches 3,500 over past year - Russian diplomat 08 October 2015, 17:59
- Moscow denies Lavrov's meetings with Khamenei 07 October 2015, 17:19
- Russian operation in Syria is no relation to Sunni-Shiite conflict - Kadyrov 07 October 2015, 16:20
- Moscow mufti dubs Saudi clerics' decision to declare jihad against Russia as 'independent action' 07 October 2015, 11:45
- IS might be deliberately bombing mosques in Syria to put blame on Russian Air Force - Russian Defense Ministry 07 October 2015, 10:24
- IS terrorists find shelter from Russian airstrikes in mosques - Russian Defense Ministry 07 October 2015, 10:00
- Three ISIL members detained in Chechnya 02 October 2015, 16:02
- Supreme mufti backs Russia's decision to launch military operation against ISIL 02 October 2015, 10:05
- Lavrov discusses situation in Mideast with OIC secretary-general 01 October 2015, 10:53
- Russian military participation in Syria should bring peace to region - patriarch Kirill 30 September 2015, 18:35
- Number of citizens of Russia, CIS states joining ISIS grows hourly, there are thousands of them – Kremlin 30 September 2015, 11:32
- Putin calls for broad international anti-terrorist coalition with the participation of Muslim countries 29 September 2015, 10:05
- ISIL distorts, compromises Islam – Putin 23 September 2015, 12:58
- Some 2,400 Russians fighting for ISIL - FSB 18 September 2015, 11:31
- Russia's Muslims support fight against terrorism in Syria - Mufti Gainutdin 18 September 2015, 10:51
- Uzbek court gives ISIS supporters lengthy prison sentences 17 September 2015, 20:45
- True Muslims strong enough to stop ISIL, which 'is stretching its bloody hand' to Mecca, Medina and Jerusalem - Kadyrov 16 September 2015, 16:34
- Putin: We are worried about possible return of Russian ISIL fighters to Russia 15 September 2015, 12:01
- Russian Investigative Committee probing info on attempts to recruit Russians to ISIL 09 September 2015, 10:00
- ISIL recruits IT specialists, doctors, engineers in Uzbekistan 04 September 2015, 10:18
- Baku court sentences five IS members to many years in jail 03 September 2015, 10:01
- Cultural monuments in Syria, Iraq need to be protected from Islamists – Lavrov 01 September 2015, 11:12
- Fourteen suspected ISIS propagandists detained in Tajikistan 31 August 2015, 12:58
- Russian soldiers will learn methods of struggle against Islamic radicals and sects 26 August 2015, 13:07
- Teenagers hoist ISIL flag in southern Tajikistan 19 August 2015, 12:34