13 February 2020
Topic of the day
No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin
Novo-Ogaryovo, February 13, Interfax - Russian President Vladimir Putin said that as long as he remains in office, Russia will not legitimize same-sex marriages.
"As concerns Parent No. 1 and Parent No. 2, I've said publicly some time ago, and I'll repeat once again now: as long as I am president, we won't have parents number one and number two, we will have Mom and Dad," Putin said at a meeting with members of a working group for preparing constitutional amendments on Thursday.
State Duma deputy Olga Batalina said at the meeting that the working group had received numerous proposals on stipulating the notion of traditional family in the Constitution.
Only ten years ago, nobody could have imagined that the words mom and dad could be gradually ousted by the notions of parent No. 1 and parent No. 2, while this has "become a reality in some countries," Batalina said.
"This is what prompted some authors sending their amendments to us to propose that the Constitution stipulate that a family is a union of a man and a woman," she said.
Putin replied that such wording is questionable.
"You've said a family is a union of a man and a woman. What if this is an incomplete family? What then? Let's pinpoint some things. A marriage is a union of a man and a woman, but it's slightly different when it comes to a family," he said.
While the idea itself is right and should be supported, "we should think how this should be worded and where," Putin said.
Presidential Children's Rights Commissioner Anna Kuznetsova told Interfax that she believed it was "important to adopt a constitutional amendment stipulating legal foundations of a marriage as a voluntary family union of a man and a woman, which is a well-timed measure aimed at preempting the distortion of notions."
Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 |
- State Duma to discuss measures to prevent adoption of Russian children by same-sex couples 29 May 2013, 17:17
- Georgian prime minister promises foreign diplomats to end violence against sexual minorities 27 May 2013, 10:08
- Munich mayor says surprised Kiev mayor absent from gay march 27 May 2013, 10:06
- Demonstrations of LGBT defenders, opponents in central Tbilisi pass without incidents 27 May 2013, 10:06
- State Duma shocked by LGBT protest at Eternal Flame in Togliatti 27 May 2013, 10:03
- About 45 detained during gay-homophobe punch-up in Moscow 27 May 2013, 10:01
- Court bans gay pride parades in Kiev on May 25 (updated) 23 May 2013, 21:09
- CoE commissioner urges Georgian authorities to protect gays from homophobes 22 May 2013, 15:42
- CoE secretary general urges Russia to protect gay rights to demonstrations, freedom of speech (updated) 22 May 2013, 11:28
- Patriarch Kirill tells CoE's secretary general same-sex marriage sinful 21 May 2013, 13:38
- Anti-homophobia demo held in Kiev 20 May 2013, 10:05
- Georgian patriarch calls on supporters, opponents of gay movement to pray for each other 20 May 2013, 10:04
- 28 injured in Tbilisi in attack on rally in defense of gays 20 May 2013, 10:03
- LGBT rally in St. Petersburg draws 60 supporters, 200 opponents 17 May 2013, 16:55
- Georgian ombudsman fails to protect gay parade in Tbilisi 17 May 2013, 16:16
- Seventeen people injured amid gay parade in Tbilisi 17 May 2013, 16:08
- Orthodox Church, NGO of Moldova ask Chisinau mayor to cancel gay parade 17 May 2013, 15:06
- Police, special task forces save gay parade participants from outraged citizens in Tbilisi 17 May 2013, 14:23
- Three-fourths of Russians insist govt. should ban public display of homosexuality 17 May 2013, 13:14
- Sexual minority event removed from Moscow park's plan 16 May 2013, 10:06
- Moscow Mayor's Office says no gay pride parade 15 May 2013, 18:34
- Ivanishvili says will protect gays, refuses to discuss possibility of same-sex "marriages" 14 May 2013, 14:07
- Mayor's Office says no gay parade in Moscow 14 May 2013, 11:53
- St. Petersburg authorities allow sexual minorities to hold rally - LGBT activists 13 May 2013, 16:13
- Gay pride parade in Moscow unlikely - city administration 13 May 2013, 15:06