13 February 2020
Topic of the day
No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin
Novo-Ogaryovo, February 13, Interfax - Russian President Vladimir Putin said that as long as he remains in office, Russia will not legitimize same-sex marriages.
"As concerns Parent No. 1 and Parent No. 2, I've said publicly some time ago, and I'll repeat once again now: as long as I am president, we won't have parents number one and number two, we will have Mom and Dad," Putin said at a meeting with members of a working group for preparing constitutional amendments on Thursday.
State Duma deputy Olga Batalina said at the meeting that the working group had received numerous proposals on stipulating the notion of traditional family in the Constitution.
Only ten years ago, nobody could have imagined that the words mom and dad could be gradually ousted by the notions of parent No. 1 and parent No. 2, while this has "become a reality in some countries," Batalina said.
"This is what prompted some authors sending their amendments to us to propose that the Constitution stipulate that a family is a union of a man and a woman," she said.
Putin replied that such wording is questionable.
"You've said a family is a union of a man and a woman. What if this is an incomplete family? What then? Let's pinpoint some things. A marriage is a union of a man and a woman, but it's slightly different when it comes to a family," he said.
While the idea itself is right and should be supported, "we should think how this should be worded and where," Putin said.
Presidential Children's Rights Commissioner Anna Kuznetsova told Interfax that she believed it was "important to adopt a constitutional amendment stipulating legal foundations of a marriage as a voluntary family union of a man and a woman, which is a well-timed measure aimed at preempting the distortion of notions."
Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 |
- Gay pride parade application filed to Moscow city administration (updated) 13 May 2013, 11:40
- Russia should amend adoption deal with France in light of legalization of same-sex marriages - Putin 26 April 2013, 17:36
- FEMEN activists spray head of Belgian Catholic Church with water 24 April 2013, 13:08
- Dutch attitude to sexual minorities unacceptable in Russia – Peskov 15 April 2013, 12:40
- Putin: I can hardly image gay marriages in Chechnya 09 April 2013, 10:03
- Putin: Ban on homosexual propaganda initiated in regions, reflects public opinion 09 April 2013, 10:01
- Russian Church hopes new head of Anglican Church will not allow female bishops, same-sex marriage 25 March 2013, 13:20
- Russian laws ban gay couples from adopting children - Astakhov 14 March 2013, 13:25
- 80% of Russians oppose same-sex marriages, gay pride parades - poll 12 March 2013, 15:51
- Intl law does not bind permission of homosexuality propaganda – Lavrov 26 February 2013, 15:15
- Russia to check reports of adoption of Russian child by U.S. woman in same-sex union 21 February 2013, 10:23
- Russia will adjust agreement on adoptions if France legalizes same-sex marriage – Naryshkin 06 February 2013, 16:50
- Legalization of same-sex marriage in UK, France narrows possibilities of adoption of Russian children - Russian Foreign Ministry 06 February 2013, 16:48
- Same-sex couples cannot adopt Russian children 05 February 2013, 17:14
- Bill banning gay propaganda among minors meets European standards - parliamentarian 04 February 2013, 10:31
- State Duma passes bill banning propaganda of homosexuality among children in first reading 25 January 2013, 17:59
- No applications for same-sex "marriages" made in Moscow last year 21 January 2013, 14:23
- Gay activist beaten up at a rally in Voronezh 21 January 2013, 10:21
- FEMEN activists take clothes off during mass in St. Peter's Square in Vatican 14 January 2013, 11:29
- Medvedev: bill against gays unnecessary as "not all relations between people can be regulated by law" 07 December 2012, 16:35
- Sexual minorities contest Moscow authorities' ban on gay pride parades in Strasbourg 05 December 2012, 18:15
- Russian official denies Milan severing twinned-city ties with St. Petersburg over gays law 30 November 2012, 10:29
- Bastrykin: European liberalism on sexual minorities' rights has become extreme 29 November 2012, 13:45
- Feminists dressed of nuns conduct rally in defense of same-sex marriage in Paris 19 November 2012, 12:33
- Orthodox activists demand closure of gay clubs, ban on homosexual "propaganda" in Moscow 09 October 2012, 10:02