13 February 2020
Topic of the day
No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin
Novo-Ogaryovo, February 13, Interfax - Russian President Vladimir Putin said that as long as he remains in office, Russia will not legitimize same-sex marriages.
"As concerns Parent No. 1 and Parent No. 2, I've said publicly some time ago, and I'll repeat once again now: as long as I am president, we won't have parents number one and number two, we will have Mom and Dad," Putin said at a meeting with members of a working group for preparing constitutional amendments on Thursday.
State Duma deputy Olga Batalina said at the meeting that the working group had received numerous proposals on stipulating the notion of traditional family in the Constitution.
Only ten years ago, nobody could have imagined that the words mom and dad could be gradually ousted by the notions of parent No. 1 and parent No. 2, while this has "become a reality in some countries," Batalina said.
"This is what prompted some authors sending their amendments to us to propose that the Constitution stipulate that a family is a union of a man and a woman," she said.
Putin replied that such wording is questionable.
"You've said a family is a union of a man and a woman. What if this is an incomplete family? What then? Let's pinpoint some things. A marriage is a union of a man and a woman, but it's slightly different when it comes to a family," he said.
While the idea itself is right and should be supported, "we should think how this should be worded and where," Putin said.
Presidential Children's Rights Commissioner Anna Kuznetsova told Interfax that she believed it was "important to adopt a constitutional amendment stipulating legal foundations of a marriage as a voluntary family union of a man and a woman, which is a well-timed measure aimed at preempting the distortion of notions."
Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 |
- LGBT activists plan gay pride parade near Khimki administration building 03 October 2012, 16:47
- Supreme Court of Russia upholds ban on homosexual "propaganda" among minors (updated) 03 October 2012, 16:38
- Russians still oppose gay "marriage", become more tolerant of gay unions - poll 20 August 2012, 11:48
- Moscow City Court upholds ban on gay pride parades in Moscow for the next 100 years 17 August 2012, 17:50
- Russian court registers 333 mln ruble lawsuit against Madonna 17 August 2012, 17:24
- Police start inquiry at parents' request after Madonna's concert in St. Petersburg 14 August 2012, 10:04
- Organizers of Madonna concert in St. Pete may sue anti-gay law author 13 August 2012, 10:15
- Activists in St. Pete report to police on Madonna's breaking law banning gay propaganda 13 August 2012, 10:14
- St. Petersburg gays to challenge Madonna with choice 07 August 2012, 16:40
- St. Petersburg charges 74 under new law on propaganda of pedophilia, homosexuality 23 July 2012, 10:49
- A Communist MP leads the rating oh homophobes in Ukraine 18 July 2012, 18:23
- Attempts to register unisex "marriages" in Moscow illegal lawful, self-publicity - registry office 18 July 2012, 14:40
- Moscow gay parade organizer acquitted 10 July 2012, 16:34
- St. Petersburg government revokes gay parade permission 06 July 2012, 10:03
- Picket protesting homosexual propaganda on near Ukrainian parliament building 05 July 2012, 12:58
- Gay rights activists file suit with ECHR contesting Arkhangelsk Region's law banning propaganda of homosexuality 02 July 2012, 14:34
- Moscow gays to challenge 100-year ban on gay pride parades at ECHR 07 June 2012, 13:54
- Gays want to hold pride parade in St. Petersburg in July 06 June 2012, 10:01
- Police detain some 40 during Moscow Pride events on Sunday 28 May 2012, 10:12
- Moldovan parliament passes equality bill enraging Communists and clergy 25 May 2012, 17:35
- EU's Ashton concerned about attack on LGBT activists in Kiev 24 May 2012, 17:40
- Kaliningrad region may pass anti-gay law 24 May 2012, 11:17
- Arkhangelsk sexual minority activists lose appeal against prohibitive legislation 23 May 2012, 10:25
- Sexual minorities seeking court permission for Moscow event 23 May 2012, 10:20
- Armenian gay pride parade, exhibition disrupted 22 May 2012, 10:02