13 February 2020
Topic of the day
No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin
Novo-Ogaryovo, February 13, Interfax - Russian President Vladimir Putin said that as long as he remains in office, Russia will not legitimize same-sex marriages.
"As concerns Parent No. 1 and Parent No. 2, I've said publicly some time ago, and I'll repeat once again now: as long as I am president, we won't have parents number one and number two, we will have Mom and Dad," Putin said at a meeting with members of a working group for preparing constitutional amendments on Thursday.
State Duma deputy Olga Batalina said at the meeting that the working group had received numerous proposals on stipulating the notion of traditional family in the Constitution.
Only ten years ago, nobody could have imagined that the words mom and dad could be gradually ousted by the notions of parent No. 1 and parent No. 2, while this has "become a reality in some countries," Batalina said.
"This is what prompted some authors sending their amendments to us to propose that the Constitution stipulate that a family is a union of a man and a woman," she said.
Putin replied that such wording is questionable.
"You've said a family is a union of a man and a woman. What if this is an incomplete family? What then? Let's pinpoint some things. A marriage is a union of a man and a woman, but it's slightly different when it comes to a family," he said.
While the idea itself is right and should be supported, "we should think how this should be worded and where," Putin said.
Presidential Children's Rights Commissioner Anna Kuznetsova told Interfax that she believed it was "important to adopt a constitutional amendment stipulating legal foundations of a marriage as a voluntary family union of a man and a woman, which is a well-timed measure aimed at preempting the distortion of notions."
Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 |
- Gay pride parade in Kiev canceled 21 May 2012, 10:21
- Criminal investigation opened into shooting at gay rally in St. Petersburg 18 May 2012, 17:14
- Moscow admin again denies permission for gay pride parade 18 May 2012, 16:47
- Police protect Tbilisi gay pride parade from Orthodox Christian activists 17 May 2012, 16:29
- Orthodox activists to prevent gay pride parade 17 May 2012, 16:00
- Gay fined for homosexuality propaganda appeals court ruling 15 May 2012, 10:05
- The Church warns: total tolerance will deprive people of freedom of word and turn them in guided mechanisms 12 May 2012, 10:29
- St. Petersburg court issues first guilty verdict in gay propaganda case 04 May 2012, 12:22
- Gay pride parade organizers demand compensation for ban on parades 02 May 2012, 14:54
- LGBT website says 17 activists detained during march in St. Pete 02 May 2012, 11:06
- Gay pride to be held in Moscow again on May 27 24 April 2012, 16:57
- Picket protests against law banning homosexuality propaganda in Moscow 23 April 2012, 15:29
- Almost 90% of Russian citizens support ban on homosexual "propaganda" - poll 19 April 2012, 15:43
- Kudrin against Petersburg gay propaganda law, not seeking governor post 12 April 2012, 15:41
- Moscow City Court declines complaint contesting gay pride parade ban 09 April 2012, 13:03
- Two LGBT activists detained in St. Petersburg 09 April 2012, 10:08
- LGBT activists for homosexuality propaganda in downtown St. Petersburg 06 April 2012, 13:32
- Archdeacon Kurayev says he was joking when "recommended" to disrupt Madonna's concert in St. Petersburg 05 April 2012, 15:57
- Activist of Moscow gay pride egged before the court in St.Petersburg 05 April 2012, 10:20
- Anti-gay bill submitted to Russian parliament 29 March 2012, 13:50
- World Russian Council suggests declaring St. Petersburg European moral outpost 28 March 2012, 17:02
- Gay, pedophilia propaganda bans do not run counter to Russia's commitments – ministry 28 March 2012, 16:47
- Moscow Orthodox community tells gays not to play with fire 27 March 2012, 11:47
- Moscow gay prides activist demands to bring back a swimming pool located in the site of Christ the Savior Cathedral 26 March 2012, 10:01
- Gay murder suspects arrested in Moscow 23 March 2012, 16:40