13 February 2020
Topic of the day
No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin
Novo-Ogaryovo, February 13, Interfax - Russian President Vladimir Putin said that as long as he remains in office, Russia will not legitimize same-sex marriages.
"As concerns Parent No. 1 and Parent No. 2, I've said publicly some time ago, and I'll repeat once again now: as long as I am president, we won't have parents number one and number two, we will have Mom and Dad," Putin said at a meeting with members of a working group for preparing constitutional amendments on Thursday.
State Duma deputy Olga Batalina said at the meeting that the working group had received numerous proposals on stipulating the notion of traditional family in the Constitution.
Only ten years ago, nobody could have imagined that the words mom and dad could be gradually ousted by the notions of parent No. 1 and parent No. 2, while this has "become a reality in some countries," Batalina said.
"This is what prompted some authors sending their amendments to us to propose that the Constitution stipulate that a family is a union of a man and a woman," she said.
Putin replied that such wording is questionable.
"You've said a family is a union of a man and a woman. What if this is an incomplete family? What then? Let's pinpoint some things. A marriage is a union of a man and a woman, but it's slightly different when it comes to a family," he said.
While the idea itself is right and should be supported, "we should think how this should be worded and where," Putin said.
Presidential Children's Rights Commissioner Anna Kuznetsova told Interfax that she believed it was "important to adopt a constitutional amendment stipulating legal foundations of a marriage as a voluntary family union of a man and a woman, which is a well-timed measure aimed at preempting the distortion of notions."
Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 |
- Madonna to speak against the law banning homosexual propaganda during her tour to St. Petersburg 22 March 2012, 13:44
- Patriarch Kirill's organization backs up the law against homosexual propaganda 21 March 2012, 12:44
- Russia criticized over gay issue beyond universal values - Lavrov 21 March 2012, 11:21
- St. Petersburg "anti-gay" law is discriminatory - rights activists 12 March 2012, 17:14
- Law banning propaganda of homosexuality should get federal status - Russian Orthodox Church 12 March 2012, 12:16
- Gays to protest against St. Petersburg homophobic law near schools 12 March 2012, 10:02
- St. Petersburg governor signs ban on propaganda of homosexuality 11 March 2012, 13:56
- St. Petersburg parliament bans propaganda of homosexuality, pedophilia 29 February 2012, 14:29
- Majority of Russians believe homosexuality is a vice and speak against gay prides 10 February 2012, 15:18
- Police in the Kaliningrad Region took participants in the race for gays and sectarians 24 January 2012, 12:49
- Russian gays to appeal to ECHR against Moscow bans for 100 years ahead 20 January 2012, 10:11
- Astakhov supports decriminalization of homosexuality, opposes its propaganda 05 December 2011, 16:09
- Homosexuality bill can be passed at federal level - Kozak 02 December 2011, 13:12
- Russian Constitutional Court assesses bill on homosexual propaganda 01 December 2011, 10:01
- Anti-homophobia demonstration held in St. Petersburg 28 November 2011, 10:06
- St. Pete legislature almost unanimously votes on fines for homosexuality propaganda 17 November 2011, 11:19
- Gay activists detained in Moscow for holding anti-American rally 24 October 2011, 10:00
- Moscow gays, lesbians to hold their rally despite city authorities' ban 13 October 2011, 13:43
- Novosibirsk police investigate attack on local gay activist 10 October 2011, 16:47
- 40 detained at gay rally in central Moscow - police 03 October 2011, 10:01
- Four Moscow gay organizations denied registration 27 September 2011, 10:05
- German gay tourists attacked in Georgian village 07 September 2011, 10:01
- Aeroflot denies having sexual minority activist group among its personnel 07 July 2011, 10:49
- Permission denied for sex minorities' action on Arbat Street 05 July 2011, 18:00
- Russians consider homosexuality immoral and lack of morality a significant loss of reform years, sociologists say 04 July 2011, 10:47