13 February 2020
Topic of the day
No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin
Novo-Ogaryovo, February 13, Interfax - Russian President Vladimir Putin said that as long as he remains in office, Russia will not legitimize same-sex marriages.
"As concerns Parent No. 1 and Parent No. 2, I've said publicly some time ago, and I'll repeat once again now: as long as I am president, we won't have parents number one and number two, we will have Mom and Dad," Putin said at a meeting with members of a working group for preparing constitutional amendments on Thursday.
State Duma deputy Olga Batalina said at the meeting that the working group had received numerous proposals on stipulating the notion of traditional family in the Constitution.
Only ten years ago, nobody could have imagined that the words mom and dad could be gradually ousted by the notions of parent No. 1 and parent No. 2, while this has "become a reality in some countries," Batalina said.
"This is what prompted some authors sending their amendments to us to propose that the Constitution stipulate that a family is a union of a man and a woman," she said.
Putin replied that such wording is questionable.
"You've said a family is a union of a man and a woman. What if this is an incomplete family? What then? Let's pinpoint some things. A marriage is a union of a man and a woman, but it's slightly different when it comes to a family," he said.
While the idea itself is right and should be supported, "we should think how this should be worded and where," Putin said.
Presidential Children's Rights Commissioner Anna Kuznetsova told Interfax that she believed it was "important to adopt a constitutional amendment stipulating legal foundations of a marriage as a voluntary family union of a man and a woman, which is a well-timed measure aimed at preempting the distortion of notions."
Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 |
- Over 60% of Russians oppose gay parades - opinion poll 10 June 2011, 10:25
- Church grateful to city authorities for preventing Moscow gay parade 30 May 2011, 16:27
- Over 60 detained in relation to Saturday gay actions in Moscow (updated) 30 May 2011, 12:42
- Vladimir Yakunin: Homosexuality is the same threat as environmental pollution 25 May 2011, 16:07
- Church urges Russians to firmly state to the world that "propaganda of perversions" is inadmissible 23 May 2011, 13:04
- Orthodox believers hold rally against gay pride, WTO in Moscow 23 May 2011, 10:18
- Moscow authorities ban gay pride parade on May 28 20 May 2011, 10:01
- EU must ban entry for Russian homophobes - gay community 18 May 2011, 13:30
- EUP concerned by Moscow gay pride parade situation – organizer 05 May 2011, 17:41
- Petersburg govt offers venue on city outskirts for gay pride parade 29 April 2011, 17:19
- Russian Church hopes Moscow authorities will ban gay parade 27 April 2011, 17:17
- No decision made yet on gay pride parade in Moscow - deputy mayor 27 April 2011, 14:36
- Moscow authorities will not authorize gay rally in Bolotnaya Square 26 April 2011, 14:43
- Activist says Moscow authorities authorized gay rally 26 April 2011, 14:16
- Inter-Religious Council asks to prevent holding gay campaigns in Russia under Strasbourg's pressure 14 April 2011, 10:42
- Moscow Patriarchate criticizes Israel for loyalty to sex minorities 06 April 2011, 14:02
- Gay pride parade scheduled in St. Petersburg for June 28 March 2011, 17:19
- Sexual minorities preparing pride parade in Moscow in May 24 February 2011, 10:02
- Moscow does not need gay pride parades - Sobyanin 17 February 2011, 10:06
- Byelorussian gays allowed to hold rally in central Minsk 14 February 2011, 12:30
- Same-sex marriages not allowed in Russia - Moscow registrar 13 January 2011, 14:33
- Senior judge: Strasbourg ruling on Russian gay parade bans culturally insensitive 23 December 2010, 10:22
- Armenian police chief publicly says about his "physical disgust" to gays 07 December 2010, 15:08
- Putin claims Russia treats sexual minorities tolerantly, but supports traditional family 02 December 2010, 15:07
- Participants in the first sanctioned gay picket in St. Petersburg were egged and almost beaten 22 November 2010, 11:54