13 February 2020
Topic of the day
No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin
Novo-Ogaryovo, February 13, Interfax - Russian President Vladimir Putin said that as long as he remains in office, Russia will not legitimize same-sex marriages.
"As concerns Parent No. 1 and Parent No. 2, I've said publicly some time ago, and I'll repeat once again now: as long as I am president, we won't have parents number one and number two, we will have Mom and Dad," Putin said at a meeting with members of a working group for preparing constitutional amendments on Thursday.
State Duma deputy Olga Batalina said at the meeting that the working group had received numerous proposals on stipulating the notion of traditional family in the Constitution.
Only ten years ago, nobody could have imagined that the words mom and dad could be gradually ousted by the notions of parent No. 1 and parent No. 2, while this has "become a reality in some countries," Batalina said.
"This is what prompted some authors sending their amendments to us to propose that the Constitution stipulate that a family is a union of a man and a woman," she said.
Putin replied that such wording is questionable.
"You've said a family is a union of a man and a woman. What if this is an incomplete family? What then? Let's pinpoint some things. A marriage is a union of a man and a woman, but it's slightly different when it comes to a family," he said.
While the idea itself is right and should be supported, "we should think how this should be worded and where," Putin said.
Presidential Children's Rights Commissioner Anna Kuznetsova told Interfax that she believed it was "important to adopt a constitutional amendment stipulating legal foundations of a marriage as a voluntary family union of a man and a woman, which is a well-timed measure aimed at preempting the distortion of notions."
Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 |
- Gay activists attack Orthodox protesters in Moscow 03 November 2010, 12:22
- Russian Orthodox Church condemns European Court decision on gay pride 01 November 2010, 14:29
- Thousand people joined meeting in Moscow to support traditional family values 01 November 2010, 12:17
- Orthodox youth starts ambitious campaign against decision of the Strasbourg Court on gay prides in Moscow 22 October 2010, 17:34
- Strasbourg court finds Moscow authorities' ban on gay pride parades illegal 22 October 2010, 10:55
- St. Petersburg gays win lawsuit 19 October 2010, 14:28
- Picket against plans to organize gay parade in Belgrade to be held in Moscow 07 October 2010, 14:19
- Orthodox youth of Moscow launched real cocks in rows of gay picket participants 04 October 2010, 12:37
- Gay activists will keep trying to hold rallies in Moscow 04 October 2010, 11:21
- First coordinated with authorities picket of gay pride organizer to take place in Last Lane, Moscow 01 October 2010, 14:59
- Alexeyev allowed to hold protest, not gay pride parade - Moscow authorities 30 September 2010, 10:38
- Acting mayor against gay rallies in Moscow 29 September 2010, 16:04
- Russian gay community leader Alexeyev to ask for political asylum in Belarus 20 September 2010, 10:57
- Orthodox activists to hold protests against gay festival in Petersburg 17 September 2010, 15:19
- Moscow gay pride parade organizer Alexeyev found in Minsk 16 September 2010, 16:59
- Parents organizations urge to bar sexual minorities' march in Petersburg 13 September 2010, 17:31
- Gays to protest with opposition activists in Moscow 25 August 2010, 18:32
- Russian gays challenge official at European Court of Human Rights 23 August 2010, 17:12
- Protodeacon Kurayev is not against marches of sexual minorities 03 August 2010, 17:01
- Orthodox human rights advocate welcomes decision to refuse homosexual movement in registration 27 July 2010, 16:58
- Moscow City Court upholds court ruling against gay pride parade organizers 02 July 2010, 10:00
- Organizers of gay prides in Moscow and Petersburg have chosen dates for their actions in 2011 29 June 2010, 16:04
- Public Council on Morality asks organizers of Elton John’s concert in Minsk to provide it with records of the singer’s previous performances 11 June 2010, 14:57
- St. Petersburg gay march organizers to seek support from foreign diplomats 10 June 2010, 10:39
- St. Petersburg gay pride parade organizers ask EU embassies for help 09 June 2010, 10:42