13 February 2020
Topic of the day
No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin
Novo-Ogaryovo, February 13, Interfax - Russian President Vladimir Putin said that as long as he remains in office, Russia will not legitimize same-sex marriages.
"As concerns Parent No. 1 and Parent No. 2, I've said publicly some time ago, and I'll repeat once again now: as long as I am president, we won't have parents number one and number two, we will have Mom and Dad," Putin said at a meeting with members of a working group for preparing constitutional amendments on Thursday.
State Duma deputy Olga Batalina said at the meeting that the working group had received numerous proposals on stipulating the notion of traditional family in the Constitution.
Only ten years ago, nobody could have imagined that the words mom and dad could be gradually ousted by the notions of parent No. 1 and parent No. 2, while this has "become a reality in some countries," Batalina said.
"This is what prompted some authors sending their amendments to us to propose that the Constitution stipulate that a family is a union of a man and a woman," she said.
Putin replied that such wording is questionable.
"You've said a family is a union of a man and a woman. What if this is an incomplete family? What then? Let's pinpoint some things. A marriage is a union of a man and a woman, but it's slightly different when it comes to a family," he said.
While the idea itself is right and should be supported, "we should think how this should be worded and where," Putin said.
Presidential Children's Rights Commissioner Anna Kuznetsova told Interfax that she believed it was "important to adopt a constitutional amendment stipulating legal foundations of a marriage as a voluntary family union of a man and a woman, which is a well-timed measure aimed at preempting the distortion of notions."
Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 |
- Jewish community of Russia denies rights of sexual minorities to make their life style public 31 May 2010, 16:48
- Russian Church supports ban on gay pride parade 31 May 2010, 10:01
- Court upholds ban on gay pride parade in Moscow 27 May 2010, 14:04
- Moscow gays denied pride parade possibility 20 May 2010, 14:28
- Third Slavic gay pride parade to be held in St. Petersburg next year 17 May 2010, 14:19
- Moscow gay pride parade organizers determined to hold action 17 May 2010, 13:56
- Minsk gay pride organizers wonder why even opposition doesn't back them up 17 May 2010, 12:30
- Minsk police disperse banned gay rally 17 May 2010, 10:52
- Gays in St. Petersburg hope to mark international day against homophobia 13 May 2010, 16:06
- Minsk gay pride parade supporters denied picket near Byelorussian embassy 13 May 2010, 15:53
- Embassy of EU country may host Moscow gay pride parade this year, its organizer claims 06 May 2010, 12:05
- European MPs propose to lecture schoolchildren on peculiarities of homosexual behavior 16 April 2010, 13:49
- Petersburg citizens against holding gay pride in the city 01 March 2010, 13:38
- Russia refuses to register NGO set up to help sexual minorities 24 February 2010, 13:57
- Moscow gay pride parade organizers complain to Strasbourg court 10 February 2010, 13:53
- New St. Petersburg ombudsman not against gay pride parades 08 February 2010, 15:06
- Russian Church urges PACE not to adopt resolution in defense of gay rights 27 January 2010, 11:00
- Luzhkov promises to prevent gay pride parade in Moscow 25 January 2010, 15:49
- All-Ukrainian Council of Churches urges to prevent PACE from legalizing unisexual “marriages” 22 January 2010, 12:03
- Moscow City Court turns down lesbians' complaint 21 January 2010, 14:01
- Next Moscow gay pride planned for May 29 20 January 2010, 17:06
- Patriarch Kirill believes same sex relationship sinful, but speaks against antigay repressions 23 December 2009, 15:17
- Lithuania permits promotion of non-traditional sex among children 22 December 2009, 16:38
- Court declines gay movement's suit against Luzhkov 02 October 2009, 14:19
- Kazakhstan allows transgender operation 29 September 2009, 11:55