13 February 2020
Topic of the day
No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin
Novo-Ogaryovo, February 13, Interfax - Russian President Vladimir Putin said that as long as he remains in office, Russia will not legitimize same-sex marriages.
"As concerns Parent No. 1 and Parent No. 2, I've said publicly some time ago, and I'll repeat once again now: as long as I am president, we won't have parents number one and number two, we will have Mom and Dad," Putin said at a meeting with members of a working group for preparing constitutional amendments on Thursday.
State Duma deputy Olga Batalina said at the meeting that the working group had received numerous proposals on stipulating the notion of traditional family in the Constitution.
Only ten years ago, nobody could have imagined that the words mom and dad could be gradually ousted by the notions of parent No. 1 and parent No. 2, while this has "become a reality in some countries," Batalina said.
"This is what prompted some authors sending their amendments to us to propose that the Constitution stipulate that a family is a union of a man and a woman," she said.
Putin replied that such wording is questionable.
"You've said a family is a union of a man and a woman. What if this is an incomplete family? What then? Let's pinpoint some things. A marriage is a union of a man and a woman, but it's slightly different when it comes to a family," he said.
While the idea itself is right and should be supported, "we should think how this should be worded and where," Putin said.
Presidential Children's Rights Commissioner Anna Kuznetsova told Interfax that she believed it was "important to adopt a constitutional amendment stipulating legal foundations of a marriage as a voluntary family union of a man and a woman, which is a well-timed measure aimed at preempting the distortion of notions."
Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 |
- Georgian gay with cross and tail won a European beauty contest 17 September 2009, 12:35
- Pentecostals demand to close gay club in Moscow 10 August 2009, 13:35
- Russian Protestants call to remove gay clubs from residential buildings, schools and hospitals 07 August 2009, 15:12
- Gay community plans to picket U.S. embassy in Moscow during Obama visit 29 June 2009, 10:22
- Oslo Mayor bring his “spouse” to Vilnius in protest of gay discrimination in Lithuania 22 June 2009, 14:55
- Two Russian women seek marriage in Moscow, ready for external lawsuit 15 June 2009, 12:21
- No gay parades will be held in Moscow - Mayor Luzhkov 03 June 2009, 13:48
- Gays and lesbians hold congress near Kiev 01 June 2009, 13:52
- Clerics of Constantinople Patriarchate to participate in a gay conference in Finland 21 May 2009, 17:38
- St. Petersburg host a pride parade 18 May 2009, 12:28
- Famous Russian missionary calls gay pride parades a crime against children 18 May 2009, 12:17
- Moscow police detained dozens of gay parade participants, including organizer 18 May 2009, 10:27
- No gay pride parade in Riga 14 May 2009, 14:05
- Russian writers to support Mayor's ban of pride parade 13 May 2009, 11:41
- Pentecostals demand to ban the propaganda of pederasty on the eve of the Moscow gay pride parade 12 May 2009, 14:08
- Moscow city authorities will not allow gay parade - mayor's spokesman 07 May 2009, 15:20
- Unsanctioned action in protection of sex-minorities suppressed in Kirov 04 May 2009, 12:20
- Protest against gay parade planned for Eurovision final held in downtown Moscow 30 April 2009, 18:17
- Gay parade won’t be sanctioned in Moscow, any attempt to hold it "will be curbed toughly but within the law" – city authorities 30 April 2009, 14:36
- Volgograd authorities prevented gay pride parade in downtown 27 April 2009, 12:49
- Ryazan court finds gay activists guilty of popularizing homosexuality 06 April 2009, 16:12
- Vyatka Diocese officials criticize their priest for his slash of a gay parade 20 March 2009, 11:46
- Organizers of Moscow gay parade complain to Strasbourg court, demand 1.7 Mln euro in damages 11 March 2009, 16:10
- Gay pride parades are unacceptable for Moscow and shouldn’t be allowed – chief administration of internal affairs 06 March 2009, 18:48
- Russian sexual minorities complain to Strasbourg court 09 February 2009, 18:05