13 February 2020
Topic of the day
No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin
Novo-Ogaryovo, February 13, Interfax - Russian President Vladimir Putin said that as long as he remains in office, Russia will not legitimize same-sex marriages.
"As concerns Parent No. 1 and Parent No. 2, I've said publicly some time ago, and I'll repeat once again now: as long as I am president, we won't have parents number one and number two, we will have Mom and Dad," Putin said at a meeting with members of a working group for preparing constitutional amendments on Thursday.
State Duma deputy Olga Batalina said at the meeting that the working group had received numerous proposals on stipulating the notion of traditional family in the Constitution.
Only ten years ago, nobody could have imagined that the words mom and dad could be gradually ousted by the notions of parent No. 1 and parent No. 2, while this has "become a reality in some countries," Batalina said.
"This is what prompted some authors sending their amendments to us to propose that the Constitution stipulate that a family is a union of a man and a woman," she said.
Putin replied that such wording is questionable.
"You've said a family is a union of a man and a woman. What if this is an incomplete family? What then? Let's pinpoint some things. A marriage is a union of a man and a woman, but it's slightly different when it comes to a family," he said.
While the idea itself is right and should be supported, "we should think how this should be worded and where," Putin said.
Presidential Children's Rights Commissioner Anna Kuznetsova told Interfax that she believed it was "important to adopt a constitutional amendment stipulating legal foundations of a marriage as a voluntary family union of a man and a woman, which is a well-timed measure aimed at preempting the distortion of notions."
Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 |
- Propaganda of sexual minorities could promote HIV in Moscow - mayor 04 December 2008, 12:17
- Sex minorities accuse Yabloko party in homophobia 19 November 2008, 10:44
- Latvians don't want to live in vicinity of gays, lesbians, gypsies and Muslims 11 September 2008, 17:27
- Kaunas authorities ban gay and lesbian festival 07 August 2008, 14:17
- Sex-minorities to hold a parade on the day of the final of Eurovision 2009 22 July 2008, 10:14
- Moscow authorities ban gay picket near Iranian embassy 14 July 2008, 11:48
- Russian gay community will picket the Embassy of Iran to protest against executions of homosexuals 07 July 2008, 17:13
- Estonia may allow registration of one-sex unions 03 July 2008, 13:47
- The Russian Church Bishop's Council probable to affirm negative attitude to homosexual "marriages" 23 June 2008, 14:25
- Campaign against propaganda of homosexual love to reduce the number of gays in society by 60-70 per cent, the researcher believes 20 June 2008, 15:15
- The number of drunken drivers and tax evaders among homosexuals is twice as much - expert 20 June 2008, 13:20
- Alexy II believes it impossible to lead the dialogue with Christians blessing homosexual marriages 19 June 2008, 13:17
- Gay Moscovites send new complaint against Luzhkov's ban to Strasbourg court 17 June 2008, 14:30
- Kazakhstan to have its first gay parade 11 June 2008, 15:52
- Compassion to gays makes the Church condemn unisexual relations - the Moscow Patriarchate 07 June 2008, 13:29
- Moscow gay pride organizer positively repels accusation in provocative actions and explains it with the vengeance of those who have lost their influence 07 June 2008, 10:19
- Gay activist accuses Moscow gay parade organizer in a series of provocations 06 June 2008, 14:41
- Karelia rights activists petition Russian Supreme Court to allow gay marriages 03 June 2008, 10:32
- Russian gay singer asks gay parade activists "not to insist" 02 June 2008, 15:14
- 36 detained for attempt to stage gay parade in Moscow 02 June 2008, 10:24
- Moscow authorities did not sanction gay parade 30 May 2008, 18:12
- Sexual minorities press for gay parade in Moscow, ready to cooperate with city authorities 30 May 2008, 10:43
- Gay pride parade may be held in Ufa 29 May 2008, 15:34
- Gay parade organizers sue Moscow authorities for banning picket 21 May 2008, 15:30
- Tambov governor urges to "pull out" gays and "cast their pieces downwind" - paper 19 May 2008, 17:33