13 February 2020
Topic of the day
No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin
Novo-Ogaryovo, February 13, Interfax - Russian President Vladimir Putin said that as long as he remains in office, Russia will not legitimize same-sex marriages.
"As concerns Parent No. 1 and Parent No. 2, I've said publicly some time ago, and I'll repeat once again now: as long as I am president, we won't have parents number one and number two, we will have Mom and Dad," Putin said at a meeting with members of a working group for preparing constitutional amendments on Thursday.
State Duma deputy Olga Batalina said at the meeting that the working group had received numerous proposals on stipulating the notion of traditional family in the Constitution.
Only ten years ago, nobody could have imagined that the words mom and dad could be gradually ousted by the notions of parent No. 1 and parent No. 2, while this has "become a reality in some countries," Batalina said.
"This is what prompted some authors sending their amendments to us to propose that the Constitution stipulate that a family is a union of a man and a woman," she said.
Putin replied that such wording is questionable.
"You've said a family is a union of a man and a woman. What if this is an incomplete family? What then? Let's pinpoint some things. A marriage is a union of a man and a woman, but it's slightly different when it comes to a family," he said.
While the idea itself is right and should be supported, "we should think how this should be worded and where," Putin said.
Presidential Children's Rights Commissioner Anna Kuznetsova told Interfax that she believed it was "important to adopt a constitutional amendment stipulating legal foundations of a marriage as a voluntary family union of a man and a woman, which is a well-timed measure aimed at preempting the distortion of notions."
Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 |
- Acting Moscow mayor takes gays' accusations in good fun 19 May 2008, 16:08
- Homosexuals seek criminal action against Moscow mayor 19 May 2008, 09:34
- Members of the Orthodox community demand to re-establish criminal liability for homosexuality 05 May 2008, 16:01
- Gay activists attacked in St. Petersburg 04 May 2008, 11:42
- Gay activists plastered mouths, gathered in park in St. Petersburg 04 May 2008, 11:40
- Gay pride parades cancelled in Moscow 30 April 2008, 13:40
- Moscow gay pride parade organizers plan to ignore ban on marches 28 April 2008, 15:38
- Moscow gays to organize 25 rallies and processions during the firs five days of May 28 April 2008, 12:47
- Moscow gays fight for the right to hold five parades a day in May 25 April 2008, 13:05
- Karelian human rights group supports gay singer Moiseyev 24 April 2008, 14:52
- Russian religious figures urges CoE not to back Moscow gay rally 03 April 2008, 11:47
- Russian sexual minorities to demand state guarantees for their rights 26 March 2008, 11:26
- Russian sexual minorities to demand state guarantees for their rights 26 March 2008, 10:00
- Organizers of Moscow gay parade hope Strasbourg helps them get 1,000,000 euro from Russia 14 February 2008, 13:35
- Film about Russian sexual minorities to be shown at Berlinale 04 February 2008, 13:26
- Gay activists to hold parade in Moscow on May 31 24 January 2008, 15:17
- Famous actor asks St. Pete's governor to ban a cinema festival dedicated to non-conventional love 24 January 2008, 13:33
- Karelian human right activists speak for homosexuals’ right to adopt children 11 January 2008, 13:23
- Once homosexuality is condoned, pedophilia to be legalized, Metropolitan Kirill believes 10 January 2008, 18:31
- Moscow schismatics ‘consecrated’ an open gay 10 January 2008, 12:15
- The 1st in Russia international cinema festival dedicated to non-conventional love to be held in St. Petersburg 09 January 2008, 14:10
- Moscow homosexuals to seek justice in Strasbourg court 07 December 2007, 10:00
- Moscow gay leader comes to a polling station to ask Moscow mayor Luzhkov for permission to conduct a gay pride parade 03 December 2007, 09:53
- Modern age might be burnt in the "Apocalypse's fire" so it is foretold in the Russian Orthodox Church 12 November 2007, 15:45
- The ban to put out the flag of lesbians and gays in Town Hall Square justified by court 25 October 2007, 12:32