13 February 2020
Topic of the day
No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin
Novo-Ogaryovo, February 13, Interfax - Russian President Vladimir Putin said that as long as he remains in office, Russia will not legitimize same-sex marriages.
"As concerns Parent No. 1 and Parent No. 2, I've said publicly some time ago, and I'll repeat once again now: as long as I am president, we won't have parents number one and number two, we will have Mom and Dad," Putin said at a meeting with members of a working group for preparing constitutional amendments on Thursday.
State Duma deputy Olga Batalina said at the meeting that the working group had received numerous proposals on stipulating the notion of traditional family in the Constitution.
Only ten years ago, nobody could have imagined that the words mom and dad could be gradually ousted by the notions of parent No. 1 and parent No. 2, while this has "become a reality in some countries," Batalina said.
"This is what prompted some authors sending their amendments to us to propose that the Constitution stipulate that a family is a union of a man and a woman," she said.
Putin replied that such wording is questionable.
"You've said a family is a union of a man and a woman. What if this is an incomplete family? What then? Let's pinpoint some things. A marriage is a union of a man and a woman, but it's slightly different when it comes to a family," he said.
While the idea itself is right and should be supported, "we should think how this should be worded and where," Putin said.
Presidential Children's Rights Commissioner Anna Kuznetsova told Interfax that she believed it was "important to adopt a constitutional amendment stipulating legal foundations of a marriage as a voluntary family union of a man and a woman, which is a well-timed measure aimed at preempting the distortion of notions."
Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 |
- Russian Interreligious Council to condemn homosexuality 18 October 2007, 16:31
- Orthodox human rights activist: gay-parades should be equated with weapons of mass destruction 09 October 2007, 12:09
- Religious service for sexual minorities conducted in Moscow 17 September 2007, 10:01
- Moscow gays detained for attempted rally around health ministry 14 September 2007, 15:29
- Moscow gay rights activists to protest ban on giving blood 13 September 2007, 15:14
- Moscow authorities ban gay rights activists from picketing healthcare ministry 12 September 2007, 13:03
- Moscow gay-parade organizer demands that a Duma deputy be brought to trial 10 September 2007, 13:19
- Court finds ban on gay parade in Moscow legal 04 September 2007, 14:21
- Tagansky District Court rules gay event ban was legal 24 August 2007, 16:44
- Russian gay parade organizer says is charged with slander 02 August 2007, 10:31
- St. Petersburg gay pride parade to be rescheduled 01 August 2007, 15:23
- Gay community: rumors about Berezovsky planning to finance pride-parades in towns near Moscow are provocation 01 August 2007, 13:02
- Deputy head of staff of Moscow city mayor and government denies gay rights violations 27 July 2007, 13:31
- Estonian police advises that gay parade organizers find a place away from Tallinn's historical center 10 July 2007, 11:27
- Gay parades do no help protect sexual minorities' rights - Matviyenko 09 July 2007, 10:24
- St. Petersburg gay pride parade planned to coincide with commemoration of siege of Leningrad 05 July 2007, 17:35
- Orthodox church procession participants cruise to purge Moscow 25 June 2007, 10:17
- Supreme Court upholds ban on last year's gay parade in Moscow 22 June 2007, 11:35
- Orthodox youth wants Moscow govt to bar gays from Plevna Memorial 20 June 2007, 14:31
- Young Orthodox activists insist they were fired at by their opponents at Ilyinsky Public Garden in Moscow 19 June 2007, 10:01
- Rogozin proposes to hold a gay parade at the Gorky Park in Moscow on the Commandos Day 15 June 2007, 10:50
- Moscow mayor to axe gay pride leaders ‘satanic aim’ and ‘unlimited tolerance’ 14 June 2007, 14:37
- Orthodox Kievers rally against Elton John's forthcoming concert 14 June 2007, 12:07
- Orthodox groups to patrol homosexuals' meeting venue in Moscow 13 June 2007, 10:52
- Orthodox youth to patrol Ilyinsky public garden to prevent gatherings of gay people 10 June 2007, 21:14