13 February 2020
Topic of the day
No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin
Novo-Ogaryovo, February 13, Interfax - Russian President Vladimir Putin said that as long as he remains in office, Russia will not legitimize same-sex marriages.
"As concerns Parent No. 1 and Parent No. 2, I've said publicly some time ago, and I'll repeat once again now: as long as I am president, we won't have parents number one and number two, we will have Mom and Dad," Putin said at a meeting with members of a working group for preparing constitutional amendments on Thursday.
State Duma deputy Olga Batalina said at the meeting that the working group had received numerous proposals on stipulating the notion of traditional family in the Constitution.
Only ten years ago, nobody could have imagined that the words mom and dad could be gradually ousted by the notions of parent No. 1 and parent No. 2, while this has "become a reality in some countries," Batalina said.
"This is what prompted some authors sending their amendments to us to propose that the Constitution stipulate that a family is a union of a man and a woman," she said.
Putin replied that such wording is questionable.
"You've said a family is a union of a man and a woman. What if this is an incomplete family? What then? Let's pinpoint some things. A marriage is a union of a man and a woman, but it's slightly different when it comes to a family," he said.
While the idea itself is right and should be supported, "we should think how this should be worded and where," Putin said.
Presidential Children's Rights Commissioner Anna Kuznetsova told Interfax that she believed it was "important to adopt a constitutional amendment stipulating legal foundations of a marriage as a voluntary family union of a man and a woman, which is a well-timed measure aimed at preempting the distortion of notions."
Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 |
- Moscow gay parade organizer fined 09 June 2007, 17:06
- Moscow gay parade organizers left the courtroom in protest 09 June 2007, 16:11
- Gays not dropping plans to organize parade in Moscow 29 May 2007, 11:53
- Youth group to push gay and lesbians out of the Plevna War Memorial in Moscow downtown 28 May 2007, 11:59
- Charges brought against detained during gay action in Moscow 28 May 2007, 10:43
- Moscow authorities applaud police performance during attempted gay parade 28 May 2007, 10:41
- Gay parade opponent accused of beating up a foreigner 28 May 2007, 10:40
- Police detain organizer of action in support of homosexuals in Moscow 28 May 2007, 10:15
- Sergey Ryakhovsky is proud to be labeled homophobe No. 1 and notes that the Bible orders homosexuals to be stoned 25 May 2007, 17:45
- Stop gay propaganda in Russia - Moscow Patriarchate 23 May 2007, 15:43
- Metropolitan Kirill denounces gay parade plans as sinful 21 May 2007, 12:19
- Metropolitan of St. Petersburg urges to prevent gay-parade 17 May 2007, 17:00
- Russia’s eldest human rights group not to take part in the LGBT briefing 15 May 2007, 18:47
- Gay pride parade organizers appeal to St Petersburg authorities for permit 14 May 2007, 14:18
- Procession for traditional values to precede gay pride parade in Moscow 14 May 2007, 11:09
- Gay pride organizers urge Russian politicians to use sexual minorities’ potential 11 May 2007, 17:12
- Latvian Catholic leader calls homosexuality a sort of prostitution 10 May 2007, 14:05
- Most people in the Latvian captial against holding gay-parade in their city - poll 07 May 2007, 11:48
- Prosecutor’s office dismisses the suit of Moscow gay pride parade organizers against Talgat Tajuddin 27 April 2007, 13:21
- Gay pride planned for May 26 in St. Petersburg 24 April 2007, 14:47
- Mufti Tajuddin’s opinion on gay pride is far more important than Elton John’s for Moscow Mayor press-secretary 06 April 2007, 16:00
- Moscow City Court upholds ban on gay pride parade 02 April 2007, 12:46
- Rights groups oppose ban on Moscow gay pride parade 20 March 2007, 16:34
- Russian Orthodox Church says gay parades should not be allowed 20 March 2007, 16:02
- Organizing committee for May Gay-Pride Parade in Moscow set up 19 March 2007, 17:46