13 February 2020
Topic of the day
No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin
Novo-Ogaryovo, February 13, Interfax - Russian President Vladimir Putin said that as long as he remains in office, Russia will not legitimize same-sex marriages.
"As concerns Parent No. 1 and Parent No. 2, I've said publicly some time ago, and I'll repeat once again now: as long as I am president, we won't have parents number one and number two, we will have Mom and Dad," Putin said at a meeting with members of a working group for preparing constitutional amendments on Thursday.
State Duma deputy Olga Batalina said at the meeting that the working group had received numerous proposals on stipulating the notion of traditional family in the Constitution.
Only ten years ago, nobody could have imagined that the words mom and dad could be gradually ousted by the notions of parent No. 1 and parent No. 2, while this has "become a reality in some countries," Batalina said.
"This is what prompted some authors sending their amendments to us to propose that the Constitution stipulate that a family is a union of a man and a woman," she said.
Putin replied that such wording is questionable.
"You've said a family is a union of a man and a woman. What if this is an incomplete family? What then? Let's pinpoint some things. A marriage is a union of a man and a woman, but it's slightly different when it comes to a family," he said.
While the idea itself is right and should be supported, "we should think how this should be worded and where," Putin said.
Presidential Children's Rights Commissioner Anna Kuznetsova told Interfax that she believed it was "important to adopt a constitutional amendment stipulating legal foundations of a marriage as a voluntary family union of a man and a woman, which is a well-timed measure aimed at preempting the distortion of notions."
Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 |
- Russian society must oppose gay pride parade - Metropolitan Kirill 15 March 2007, 13:00
- Sliska urges the West not to impose gay pride on Russia 12 March 2007, 15:17
- Yury Luzhkov meets four major European capitals’ mayors and says gay propaganda is intolerable 28 February 2007, 17:21
- Metropolitan Kirill supports Mayor Luzhkov resisting gay propaganda 27 February 2007, 16:47
- Russian Pentecostal leader refuses tolerance for gays 27 February 2007, 13:39
- Moscow gay community enlists support of London peers 27 February 2007, 12:20
- The second contest for the best anti-gay cartoon ended in Runet 26 February 2007, 12:35
- Gay pride organizers sue Luzhkov for calling parade 'satanic' 26 February 2007, 11:34
- A bill on criminal responsibility for homosexuality drafted by a Duma deputy 12 February 2007, 11:17
- Ban on gay pride parade appealed again with Moscow court 06 February 2007, 13:41
- Member of State Duma Chuyev considers gay parades as propaganda of homosexuality 05 February 2007, 15:26
- Russian president formulates his position on possible gay parade in Moscow 01 February 2007, 14:36
- Russian Church backs ban on gay pride parade in Moscow 30 January 2007, 10:12
- Gay-parade organizer sues Luzhkov ‘for personal injury’ 29 January 2007, 16:11
- Mayor Luzhkov vows to prevent gay pride parade in Moscow 29 January 2007, 14:42
- Russian gays plan to stage another pride parade in May in Moscow 29 January 2007, 13:58
- Organizers of Moscow gay pride parade want compensation from Russia 29 January 2007, 13:00
- Moscow Court declines to review ruling banning Gay Pride parade in Moscow 16 January 2007, 14:23
- Ban on Moscow gay pride march declared legal by City Court 28 November 2006, 17:41
- Gay-pride parade organizers appeal ban in Moscow 14 November 2006, 15:19
- Chief Rabbi of Russia says gay parade in Jerusalem shows inferiority of ‘sexual minorities’ and is their indecent PR action 08 November 2006, 15:36
- Moscow gay march organizers call for probe into attack on Bundestag member 08 September 2006, 17:28
- Russian Jews call upon Jerusalem authorities to bar gay parade 29 August 2006, 13:42
- Gays and lesbians not to give up plans for gay pride parade in Jerusalem 22 August 2006, 15:37
- Court to hear complaint by gay parade organizers 21 August 2006, 09:59