13 February 2020
Topic of the day
No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin
Novo-Ogaryovo, February 13, Interfax - Russian President Vladimir Putin said that as long as he remains in office, Russia will not legitimize same-sex marriages.
"As concerns Parent No. 1 and Parent No. 2, I've said publicly some time ago, and I'll repeat once again now: as long as I am president, we won't have parents number one and number two, we will have Mom and Dad," Putin said at a meeting with members of a working group for preparing constitutional amendments on Thursday.
State Duma deputy Olga Batalina said at the meeting that the working group had received numerous proposals on stipulating the notion of traditional family in the Constitution.
Only ten years ago, nobody could have imagined that the words mom and dad could be gradually ousted by the notions of parent No. 1 and parent No. 2, while this has "become a reality in some countries," Batalina said.
"This is what prompted some authors sending their amendments to us to propose that the Constitution stipulate that a family is a union of a man and a woman," she said.
Putin replied that such wording is questionable.
"You've said a family is a union of a man and a woman. What if this is an incomplete family? What then? Let's pinpoint some things. A marriage is a union of a man and a woman, but it's slightly different when it comes to a family," he said.
While the idea itself is right and should be supported, "we should think how this should be worded and where," Putin said.
Presidential Children's Rights Commissioner Anna Kuznetsova told Interfax that she believed it was "important to adopt a constitutional amendment stipulating legal foundations of a marriage as a voluntary family union of a man and a woman, which is a well-timed measure aimed at preempting the distortion of notions."
Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 |
- Attack on gay parade in Estonia prompts criminal case 15 August 2006, 10:13
- Several hundred people take part in a gay parade in Tallinn 14 August 2006, 10:35
- Estonian Christian Democrats against gay parade 08 August 2006, 17:34
- Week of sexual minorities to open in Tallinn 07 August 2006, 13:28
- Latvian president defends gays and lesbians 28 July 2006, 14:10
- Klaipeda authorities ban gay parade planned to coincide with the city’s anniversary 28 July 2006, 12:37
- Riga’s Duma bans gay parade 19 July 2006, 15:59
- Debates around gay parade in Moscow make Luzhkov urge West to elaborate common stand on democratic values 13 July 2006, 13:36
- Metropolitan Kirill warns against tolerance for same-sex marriage 23 June 2006, 18:04
- Patriarchate of Constantinople supports the Russian Orthodox Church Holy Synod statement concerning the Lutheran Church of Sweden 16 June 2006, 15:55
- Moscow gay festival organizers file complaint at prosecutor's office 08 June 2006, 13:51
- 'Parade of love' participants profane a Catholic church in St. Petersburg 01 June 2006, 12:00
- Moscow gay parade organizers may win case in Strasbourg - PACE rapporteur 31 May 2006, 18:25
- Latvian Prime Minister is against marches of sex minorities in Riga 31 May 2006, 14:05
- Attempt to hold gay parade in Moscow a provocation - Luzhkov 31 May 2006, 10:11
- Sexual minorities plan to hold annual gay rallies in Moscow 30 May 2006, 15:11
- Gay rally in Latvia prepared by former Lutheran pastor 30 May 2006, 12:05
- Russia insufficiently tolerant of gays, lesbians - campaigner 29 May 2006, 16:01
- Russian Foreign Minister: participants in the unauthorized gay parade should have thought about possible consequences 29 May 2006, 14:20
- 36 detained in Moscow for attempting to hold unauthorized gay parade 28 May 2006, 13:50
- 120 detained over gay-pride parade in Moscow (updated) 27 May 2006, 17:45
- Moscow police detain gay parade organizers (updated) 27 May 2006, 15:40
- Gays plan two actions in Moscow Saturday 27 May 2006, 12:54
- Over 1,000 police on alert for gay parade in Moscow 27 May 2006, 12:31
- Luzhkov: as long as I am mayor there will be no gay parades in Moscow 26 May 2006, 15:50