13 February 2020
Topic of the day
No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin
Novo-Ogaryovo, February 13, Interfax - Russian President Vladimir Putin said that as long as he remains in office, Russia will not legitimize same-sex marriages.
"As concerns Parent No. 1 and Parent No. 2, I've said publicly some time ago, and I'll repeat once again now: as long as I am president, we won't have parents number one and number two, we will have Mom and Dad," Putin said at a meeting with members of a working group for preparing constitutional amendments on Thursday.
State Duma deputy Olga Batalina said at the meeting that the working group had received numerous proposals on stipulating the notion of traditional family in the Constitution.
Only ten years ago, nobody could have imagined that the words mom and dad could be gradually ousted by the notions of parent No. 1 and parent No. 2, while this has "become a reality in some countries," Batalina said.
"This is what prompted some authors sending their amendments to us to propose that the Constitution stipulate that a family is a union of a man and a woman," she said.
Putin replied that such wording is questionable.
"You've said a family is a union of a man and a woman. What if this is an incomplete family? What then? Let's pinpoint some things. A marriage is a union of a man and a woman, but it's slightly different when it comes to a family," he said.
While the idea itself is right and should be supported, "we should think how this should be worded and where," Putin said.
Presidential Children's Rights Commissioner Anna Kuznetsova told Interfax that she believed it was "important to adopt a constitutional amendment stipulating legal foundations of a marriage as a voluntary family union of a man and a woman, which is a well-timed measure aimed at preempting the distortion of notions."
Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 |
- Council of Europe head calls for a stop to discrimination of gays, lesbians 26 May 2006, 15:24
- Court bans gay parade in Moscow (updated) 26 May 2006, 12:03
- Radicals attempted to disrupt speech by Oscar Wilde grandson within the framework of the first Moscow gay parade 26 May 2006, 09:31
- Representatives of gay community are adamant in holding gay parade in Moscow but keep its route a secret 25 May 2006, 12:52
- CE commissioner for human rights concerned for oppression of sex minorities in Russia 24 May 2006, 13:49
- Gay-parade organizer: the march will take place despite ban by Moscow authorities 19 May 2006, 11:44
- Orthodox Muscovites will resist gay parade if it ever takes place 16 May 2006, 14:32
- Russian ombudsman recognized the right of sex minorities for parade but doubts its expediency (updated) 16 May 2006, 13:23
- Request for gay parade submitted to Moscow mayor’s office 15 May 2006, 17:36
- Council of Europe concerned over homosexuals' rights in Russia 15 May 2006, 16:18
- Propaganda of homosexuality equal to suicide - expert 15 May 2006, 15:02
- Picket disrupts gay party at Moscow nightclub 01 May 2006, 12:03
- Moscow authorities did not allow Orthodox Christians to protest against gay festival 27 April 2006, 14:02
- Gay Pride parade organizers determined to hold it in Moscow 26 April 2006, 20:13
- Russian Constitutional Court to consider inquiry of a deputy from Bashkiria who insists on legalization of the same-sex marriages 18 April 2006, 15:49
- Catholic approves Moscow's ban on gay parade 13 April 2006, 11:32
- Patriarch backs decision to ban Moscow gay parade 16 March 2006, 10:41
- Acting Mayor of Jerusalem welcomes the refusal of the Moscow authorities to hold a gay parade in the capital 14 March 2006, 12:00
- Luzhkov calls a gay parade in Moscow inadmissible even if permitted by Paris and Berlin mayors 22 February 2006, 17:51
- Moscow govt won't allow gay parade 16 February 2006, 12:42
- Moscow Patriarchate sees in gay parades ‘a propaganda of sin’ and strongly protests against conducting them in Moscow 15 February 2006, 17:16
- If a gay parade takes place in Moscow, about a million of believers will go out into the streets in protest 15 February 2006, 16:05
- Mufti Tajuddin predicts mass protest actions of Russian Muslims against gay parade in Moscow 14 February 2006, 12:03
- Gay festival and international conference on discrimination against sexual minorities to be held in Moscow for the first time 06 September 2005, 18:00
- Russian Pentecostals say gay parade should not have been cancelled to show people the ugliness of sin 18 August 2005, 16:33