13 February 2020
Topic of the day
No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin
Novo-Ogaryovo, February 13, Interfax - Russian President Vladimir Putin said that as long as he remains in office, Russia will not legitimize same-sex marriages.
"As concerns Parent No. 1 and Parent No. 2, I've said publicly some time ago, and I'll repeat once again now: as long as I am president, we won't have parents number one and number two, we will have Mom and Dad," Putin said at a meeting with members of a working group for preparing constitutional amendments on Thursday.
State Duma deputy Olga Batalina said at the meeting that the working group had received numerous proposals on stipulating the notion of traditional family in the Constitution.
Only ten years ago, nobody could have imagined that the words mom and dad could be gradually ousted by the notions of parent No. 1 and parent No. 2, while this has "become a reality in some countries," Batalina said.
"This is what prompted some authors sending their amendments to us to propose that the Constitution stipulate that a family is a union of a man and a woman," she said.
Putin replied that such wording is questionable.
"You've said a family is a union of a man and a woman. What if this is an incomplete family? What then? Let's pinpoint some things. A marriage is a union of a man and a woman, but it's slightly different when it comes to a family," he said.
While the idea itself is right and should be supported, "we should think how this should be worded and where," Putin said.
Presidential Children's Rights Commissioner Anna Kuznetsova told Interfax that she believed it was "important to adopt a constitutional amendment stipulating legal foundations of a marriage as a voluntary family union of a man and a woman, which is a well-timed measure aimed at preempting the distortion of notions."
Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 |
- Investigators verifying media reports on possible harassment of LGBT community in Chechnya – ombudsman 23 May 2017, 13:15
- Religious believers disrupt gay march in Chisinau 22 May 2017, 11:53
- Moldovan president objects to LGBT march in Chisinau 18 May 2017, 16:27
- LGBT organizations' ICC lawsuit attempt to pressure Kadyrov - source close to Chechen govt 17 May 2017, 10:26
- Ombudsman submits Novaya Gazeta's info on persecution of gays in Chechnya to Investigative Committee 16 May 2017, 18:52
- Kadyrov says ready to help inquiry into reports on sexual minorities' situation in Chechnya 08 May 2017, 15:57
- Putin says to talk with prosecutor general, interior minister about situation involving sexual minorities in North Caucasus 05 May 2017, 14:50
- Merkel says asks Putin to address problem of gays in Chechnya, guarantee their rights 02 May 2017, 18:20
- Special services have no info on persecution complaints from sexual minorities in Chechnya – Kremlin 25 April 2017, 10:16
- EU should wait for reports on persecution of gays in Chechnya to be confirmed before condemning – Lavrov 25 April 2017, 10:15
- Kremlin has no reasons not to believe info received from head of Chechnya on human rights observance in republic – Peskov (updated) 20 April 2017, 13:05
- Russian ombudsman suspects reports on gay men's harassment in Chechnya may be false 20 April 2017, 11:15
- Novaya Gazeta to urge Investigative Committee to probe reports on harassment of gays in Chechnya 18 April 2017, 18:24
- No missing person reports filed with Chechen police – Moskalkova 18 April 2017, 14:50
- OSCE info on possible persecution of LGBT people in Chechnya needs verification – Kremlin 14 April 2017, 14:20
- Info on alleged persecution of sexual minorities in Chechnya should be investigated by law enforcement agencies – Peskov 03 April 2017, 13:46
- Reports about persecutions of homosexuals in Chechnya is lie and disinformation, such people just do not exist in the republic - Kadyrov's press secretary 03 April 2017, 11:10
- Moldovan president declines invitation to take part in sexual minorities march 27 February 2017, 10:05
- Russia seen as guarantor of traditional family values, all possible should be done to protect them - State Duma speaker 26 January 2017, 14:35
- Salekhard administration bans gay pride parade on Polar Circle 20 January 2017, 11:53
- Ukrainian government promotes interests of sexual minorities in spite of church protests 29 December 2016, 17:14
- Patriarch Kirill, Archbishop of Paris discuss erosion of Christian values in Europe 05 December 2016, 18:20
- Ten cities of the Central Russia refused to hold gay pride parades 03 October 2016, 17:27
- Russian Jews speak strongly against gay pride parade in Jerusalem 22 July 2016, 11:41
- Samara court decides to deport a US pastor for violating visa regimen 11 July 2016, 12:33