14 July 2021
Topic of the day
ECHR urges Russia to allow same-sex marriages
Moscow, July 14, Interfax - The European Court of Human Rights (ECHR) has found that Russia violates the right to private life enshrined in the European Convention on Human Rights by refusing to allow same-sex marriages.
"As regards same-sex couples, the Court reaffirmed that they were just as capable as different-sex couples of entering into committed relationships, with a need for formal acknowledgment and protection of their relationship. It was incumbent on the States to take that into account, and to strike a balance between their needs and those of community at large," the ECHR said in a statement.
Three same-sex couples went to the ECHR, as they have given notice of their intention to marry at their local registry offices in Russia, but their applications have been rejected for more than ten years. Muscovites Irina Fedotova and Irina Shipitko argued before Moscow's Tverskoy District Court in 2009 that the refusal to accept their notice to marry violated their rights under the constitution and the convention. Their claim was declined because, among other things, the court found that marriage had to have the "voluntary consent of a man and a woman." That court ruling was upheld on appeal.
The couple appealed to the ECHR, which combined their claim with the similar cases of residents of the Lipetsk Region - Dmitry Chunusov and Yaroslav Yevtushenko v. Russia and Elmira Shaikhraznova and Yelena Yakovleva v. Russia. The ECHR found that Russia has violated Article 8 of the convention (the right to respect for private and family life) in relation to these applicants. At the same time, according to the judgement, the court cannot explicitly impose an obligation on the country to acknowledge same-sex marriages, but believes that the authorities need to reach a compromise.
"The Court reiterated that Article 8 did not explicitly impose on States an obligation to formally acknowledge same-sex unions. However, it implied a need to strike a fair balance between the competing interests of same-sex couples and the community as a whole. [...] In particular, regarding the argument that a majority of Russians disapprove of same-sex unions, the Court stated that access to rights for a minority could not be dependent on the acceptance of the majority," the ECHR said in its ruling.
The court reiterated that giving the applicants access to formal acknowledgment of their couples' status in a form other than marriage would not be in conflict with the "traditional understanding of marriage" prevailing in Russia, or with the views of the majority to which the government referred.
Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 |
- Leader of Russia's major Protestant Church calls the day when homosexual "marriages" were legalized the most shameful in Christian history of the USA 29 June 2015, 17:21
- Georgian patriarch condemns same-sex "marriage" permitted in U.S 29 June 2015, 12:46
- U.S. decision to legalize same-sex "marriages" godless, sinful - Russian Church 29 June 2015, 10:00
- Gay pride parade in Kiev lasts less than half hour 08 June 2015, 10:17
- Poroshenko sees no obstacles to gay pride parade in Kiev 05 June 2015, 17:17
- Gay activists, opponents brawl in central Moscow 01 June 2015, 10:03
- Moscow authorities caution gays from holding parade 29 May 2015, 13:49
- Over 80% of Russians against same-sex "marriages" 18 May 2015, 17:48
- Priests, opponents of same-sex relationships disrupt gay pride parade in Chisinau 18 May 2015, 11:56
- Kostroma administration bans gay pride parade, six other LGBT events 09 April 2015, 17:05
- Russian Orthodox Church concerned about legalization of same-sex "marriage", abortion issue, and secularism in Europe 20 March 2015, 17:35
- Moscow Patriarchate urges Catholics to jointly protect family at a legal level 17 October 2014, 12:03
- Kyrgyz parliament passes bill banning "gay propaganda" at 1st reading 16 October 2014, 15:39
- Protest against same-sex marriage bill held in Estonia 06 October 2014, 11:10
- Ban on gay propaganda among minors doesn't restrict sexual minorities' rights - Russian Constitutional Court 26 September 2014, 10:05
- Austrian MP condemns USA in attempts to blow up traditional European values 11 September 2014, 13:28
- Crimea does not need sexual minorities - Aksyonov 02 September 2014, 17:56
- Klitschko urges LGBT community to cancel gay parade in Kiev 07 July 2014, 11:29
- Putin dismisses problems of Russian sexual minorities as "virtual" 25 June 2014, 10:01
- Russians have less dislike for nudists than for transsexuals - poll 23 June 2014, 10:01
- Court upholds refusal to allow April LGBT rallies in Kostroma 17 June 2014, 14:44
- Putin: Russia has the right to protect children from promoting homosexuality 05 June 2014, 11:50
- Orthodox believers hold a flashmob against homosexual propaganda in downtown Moscow 02 June 2014, 13:11
- Sewer system disturbs plans to hold gay pride in Kostroma 02 June 2014, 10:42
- Homosexual cohabitation to be registered in Estonia 22 May 2014, 18:00