13 February 2020
Topic of the day
No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin
Novo-Ogaryovo, February 13, Interfax - Russian President Vladimir Putin said that as long as he remains in office, Russia will not legitimize same-sex marriages.
"As concerns Parent No. 1 and Parent No. 2, I've said publicly some time ago, and I'll repeat once again now: as long as I am president, we won't have parents number one and number two, we will have Mom and Dad," Putin said at a meeting with members of a working group for preparing constitutional amendments on Thursday.
State Duma deputy Olga Batalina said at the meeting that the working group had received numerous proposals on stipulating the notion of traditional family in the Constitution.
Only ten years ago, nobody could have imagined that the words mom and dad could be gradually ousted by the notions of parent No. 1 and parent No. 2, while this has "become a reality in some countries," Batalina said.
"This is what prompted some authors sending their amendments to us to propose that the Constitution stipulate that a family is a union of a man and a woman," she said.
Putin replied that such wording is questionable.
"You've said a family is a union of a man and a woman. What if this is an incomplete family? What then? Let's pinpoint some things. A marriage is a union of a man and a woman, but it's slightly different when it comes to a family," he said.
While the idea itself is right and should be supported, "we should think how this should be worded and where," Putin said.
Presidential Children's Rights Commissioner Anna Kuznetsova told Interfax that she believed it was "important to adopt a constitutional amendment stipulating legal foundations of a marriage as a voluntary family union of a man and a woman, which is a well-timed measure aimed at preempting the distortion of notions."
Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 |
- Sewer system disturbs plans to hold gay pride in Kostroma 02 June 2014, 10:42
- Homosexual cohabitation to be registered in Estonia 22 May 2014, 18:00
- Application of sexual minorities to hold gay parade denied - Moscow mayor's office 21 May 2014, 16:25
- Khabarovsk gay picket disrupted by locals 19 May 2014, 14:08
- Chisinau sexual minority march thwarted 19 May 2014, 10:00
- Sexual minorities say Moscow authorities banned "bearded march" named after Conchita Wurst 15 May 2014, 12:02
- Metropolitan of Minsk suggests to abstain from participation in Eurovision 14 May 2014, 10:01
- Gay activists inform Moscow Mayor's Office on holding Conchita Wurst march of bearded women, men 13 May 2014, 17:22
- United Russia MP indignant at transvestite’s victory in Eurovision, urges to protect traditional family 13 May 2014, 10:00
- The Church believes Austrian representative's victory in Eurovision is another step to refusing Christian identity in Europe 12 May 2014, 11:29
- Georgian Church protests adoption of anti-discrimination legislation recommended by EU 30 April 2014, 10:11
- Gay parades not permitted in Sevastopol or Simferopol 16 April 2014, 16:59
- Kostroma authorities to appeal court ruling over illegality of gay pride parade ban 09 April 2014, 10:13
- Court invalidates ban on gay events in Kostroma 04 April 2014, 15:54
- Gay activists prevented from meeting in Osh 02 April 2014, 16:48
- Patriarch Kirill criticizes opportunity to choose from 50 gender options in social networks 31 March 2014, 10:00
- Gay marriages don't make Russia, Europe closer to each other - Russian MP 19 February 2014, 14:00
- Picket in support of French opposed to legalization of same-sex "marriages" held in Yerevan 12 February 2014, 16:21
- Protodeacon Kurayev believes giraffe's murder in Danish Zoo is natural for a society where homosexuals reign 11 February 2014, 17:09
- Chief mufti of Tajikistan condemns homosexuality 10 February 2014, 17:33
- Recognition of gay "marriages" a challenge to God-given laws - Russian patriarch 10 February 2014, 10:35
- No applications made to protest against anti-gay law during Olympics - Deputy PM Kozak 06 February 2014, 15:10
- Kremlin hasn't received law from culture, science figures on rescinding anti-gay law – spokesman 06 February 2014, 13:26
- Protodeacon Kurayev believes absurd homosexuals' wish to call their unions families 29 January 2014, 17:37
- Court rejects appeal in gay propaganda case - LGBT activist Alexeyev 23 January 2014, 18:06