13 February 2020
Topic of the day
No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin
Novo-Ogaryovo, February 13, Interfax - Russian President Vladimir Putin said that as long as he remains in office, Russia will not legitimize same-sex marriages.
"As concerns Parent No. 1 and Parent No. 2, I've said publicly some time ago, and I'll repeat once again now: as long as I am president, we won't have parents number one and number two, we will have Mom and Dad," Putin said at a meeting with members of a working group for preparing constitutional amendments on Thursday.
State Duma deputy Olga Batalina said at the meeting that the working group had received numerous proposals on stipulating the notion of traditional family in the Constitution.
Only ten years ago, nobody could have imagined that the words mom and dad could be gradually ousted by the notions of parent No. 1 and parent No. 2, while this has "become a reality in some countries," Batalina said.
"This is what prompted some authors sending their amendments to us to propose that the Constitution stipulate that a family is a union of a man and a woman," she said.
Putin replied that such wording is questionable.
"You've said a family is a union of a man and a woman. What if this is an incomplete family? What then? Let's pinpoint some things. A marriage is a union of a man and a woman, but it's slightly different when it comes to a family," he said.
While the idea itself is right and should be supported, "we should think how this should be worded and where," Putin said.
Presidential Children's Rights Commissioner Anna Kuznetsova told Interfax that she believed it was "important to adopt a constitutional amendment stipulating legal foundations of a marriage as a voluntary family union of a man and a woman, which is a well-timed measure aimed at preempting the distortion of notions."
Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 |
- Okhlobystin steps down as chief creative officer of Euroset after LGBT threats 15 January 2014, 10:01
- Kazakh MPs seek criminal liability for homosexuality 14 January 2014, 14:00
- Idea to return criminal liability for homosexuality is logical - Orthodox human rights activist 10 January 2014, 17:10
- Russian Orthodox Church supports debate on anti-sodomy law 10 January 2014, 13:09
- Rights defenders say Okhlobystin's idea to put gays in prison is obscurantist, odious 10 January 2014, 11:54
- Russian LGBT community does not expect "sodomy" article to be restored in Penal Code 10 January 2014, 11:42
- Russian cellphone trader not to fire manager for seeking gay sex re-criminalization 10 January 2014, 10:14
- Georgian patriarch asks Europe not to impose alien ideas on nation 07 January 2014, 14:15
- Ukraine not prepared to legalize same-sex "marriages", as demanded by EU - Azarov 16 December 2013, 10:00
- Minsk administration bans public events organized by sexual minorities 11 December 2013, 10:05
- Russia to oppose inclusion of sections on sexual orientation in intl documents 10 December 2013, 10:02
- Elton John performs in Moscow, protests homophobia 09 December 2013, 10:01
- Homophobia should not be created in society - Putin 21 November 2013, 10:05
- Moscow perplexed with U.S. demands for review of IOC opinion on Russian gay propaganda law 15 November 2013, 13:21
- Georgian Patriarchate against LGBT-sponsored shelter for homeless children 15 November 2013, 12:53
- Russia did not violate intl law by banning homosexuality propaganda among minors - children's ombudsman (updated) 14 November 2013, 16:30
- Attempt to link Russia-EU visa talks with position of sexual minorities absurd - diplomatic source 07 November 2013, 10:05
- Protesters: pact with EU to mean Ukraine's "homosexualization" 06 November 2013, 10:01
- Putin says Olympic Games participants, guests, including sexual minorities, will be comfortable 29 October 2013, 10:25
- Police detain 67 LGBT activists at rally in central St. Petersburg 14 October 2013, 10:09
- Orthodox supporters of gay propaganda penalty thwart Moldovan parliament's meeting 11 October 2013, 11:38
- Ban on gay propaganda won't affect sexual minorities' rights - Naryshkin 02 October 2013, 10:02
- There are no laws in Russia that punish sexual minorities - Putin 20 September 2013, 11:42
- Russian court upholds ban on planned LGBT events 19 September 2013, 10:02
- Meeting between Obama, LGBT activists in Russia is double standards - diplomat 09 September 2013, 11:30