13 February 2020
Topic of the day
No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin
Novo-Ogaryovo, February 13, Interfax - Russian President Vladimir Putin said that as long as he remains in office, Russia will not legitimize same-sex marriages.
"As concerns Parent No. 1 and Parent No. 2, I've said publicly some time ago, and I'll repeat once again now: as long as I am president, we won't have parents number one and number two, we will have Mom and Dad," Putin said at a meeting with members of a working group for preparing constitutional amendments on Thursday.
State Duma deputy Olga Batalina said at the meeting that the working group had received numerous proposals on stipulating the notion of traditional family in the Constitution.
Only ten years ago, nobody could have imagined that the words mom and dad could be gradually ousted by the notions of parent No. 1 and parent No. 2, while this has "become a reality in some countries," Batalina said.
"This is what prompted some authors sending their amendments to us to propose that the Constitution stipulate that a family is a union of a man and a woman," she said.
Putin replied that such wording is questionable.
"You've said a family is a union of a man and a woman. What if this is an incomplete family? What then? Let's pinpoint some things. A marriage is a union of a man and a woman, but it's slightly different when it comes to a family," he said.
While the idea itself is right and should be supported, "we should think how this should be worded and where," Putin said.
Presidential Children's Rights Commissioner Anna Kuznetsova told Interfax that she believed it was "important to adopt a constitutional amendment stipulating legal foundations of a marriage as a voluntary family union of a man and a woman, which is a well-timed measure aimed at preempting the distortion of notions."
Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 |
- Duma to consider bill depriving gay parents of parental rights 05 September 2013, 11:11
- Gay activist asks for meeting with Putin 04 September 2013, 13:18
- Putin is ready for meeting with sexual minorities (updated) 04 September 2013, 11:15
- On the eve of G20 summit in Petersburg 103 organizations from 33 countries back up Russian law banning gay propaganda among children 04 September 2013, 10:06
- Russian parishes in the USA respond to a LGBT protest with joint prayer of clergy and laity 28 August 2013, 15:14
- Russian Church spokesman defends Isinbayeva for backing anti-gay propaganda law 20 August 2013, 17:23
- Duma deputy defends tougher liability of foreigners for anti-gay propaganda 16 August 2013, 19:42
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin surprised by Lukin's stance on same-sex "marriage" 15 August 2013, 17:15
- Orthodox human rights advocate is ironic about Lukin's suggestion to legalize unisex "marriages" step by step 15 August 2013, 16:26
- Russian anti-gay propaganda law will not affect law-abiding athletes - 2018 FIFA World Cup chief 14 August 2013, 10:00
- No discrimination of gays will occur at Sochi Olympics - Russian Interior Ministry 12 August 2013, 16:54
- Obama opposed to law banning gay propaganda passed in Russia 09 August 2013, 11:11
- Ban of gay propaganda is not pursuit of people based on sexual orientation - Kozak 08 August 2013, 10:02
- Orthodox activists come to Navalny headquarters to protest his support of LGBT community 07 August 2013, 17:10
- Foreign Ministry rights ombudsman insists on Russia's right to protect children from gay propaganda 05 August 2013, 10:01
- Russian 'gay propaganda' ban will apply to Sochi Olympics guests and athletes (corrected) 02 August 2013, 13:17
- Half-naked women hold rally for sexual minorities' rights at Russian embassy in Sweden 02 August 2013, 10:22
- Russian migration service denies entry to 4 Dutch citizens for homosexuality propaganda 24 July 2013, 09:44
- Court upholds ban of May gay parade in Moscow 23 July 2013, 12:42
- Trial of Dutch gay activists adjourned in Murmansk 22 July 2013, 17:37
- LGBT organization Coming Out suspends public activities 22 July 2013, 17:15
- Recognition of same-sex "marriages" leads humanity to end of world - Patriarch Kirill 22 July 2013, 12:20
- British same-sex couples can not adopt Russian children - MP 18 July 2013, 10:07
- Protest against same-sex marriage being prepared in Moscow 09 July 2013, 14:27
- Putin signs law banning adoption by same-sex couples 03 July 2013, 16:42