13 February 2020
Topic of the day
No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin
Novo-Ogaryovo, February 13, Interfax - Russian President Vladimir Putin said that as long as he remains in office, Russia will not legitimize same-sex marriages.
"As concerns Parent No. 1 and Parent No. 2, I've said publicly some time ago, and I'll repeat once again now: as long as I am president, we won't have parents number one and number two, we will have Mom and Dad," Putin said at a meeting with members of a working group for preparing constitutional amendments on Thursday.
State Duma deputy Olga Batalina said at the meeting that the working group had received numerous proposals on stipulating the notion of traditional family in the Constitution.
Only ten years ago, nobody could have imagined that the words mom and dad could be gradually ousted by the notions of parent No. 1 and parent No. 2, while this has "become a reality in some countries," Batalina said.
"This is what prompted some authors sending their amendments to us to propose that the Constitution stipulate that a family is a union of a man and a woman," she said.
Putin replied that such wording is questionable.
"You've said a family is a union of a man and a woman. What if this is an incomplete family? What then? Let's pinpoint some things. A marriage is a union of a man and a woman, but it's slightly different when it comes to a family," he said.
While the idea itself is right and should be supported, "we should think how this should be worded and where," Putin said.
Presidential Children's Rights Commissioner Anna Kuznetsova told Interfax that she believed it was "important to adopt a constitutional amendment stipulating legal foundations of a marriage as a voluntary family union of a man and a woman, which is a well-timed measure aimed at preempting the distortion of notions."
Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 |
- Foreign gay couple sexually exploited child born by Russian surrogate mother 01 July 2013, 14:58
- Police stopped LGBT demonstration in St. Pete, evacuated activists 01 July 2013, 13:11
- Putin signs law introducing fines for homosexual propaganda among minors 01 July 2013, 10:04
- Ban on propaganda of non-traditional sexual relations is societal request - Matviyenko 26 June 2013, 16:10
- Federation Council approves introduction of fines for propaganda of non-traditional sexual relations among minors (updated) 26 June 2013, 16:08
- Federation Council backs ban on adoptions of Russian children by same-sex couples (updated) 26 June 2013, 15:19
- Putin: sexual minorities are not discriminated against in Russia in any way 26 June 2013, 10:04
- Politicians who back law on equal rights for gays may be excommunicated - Moldovan Orthodox Church threats 21 June 2013, 17:10
- Ban on adoption of Russian children by gays is Russia's sovereign choice - Russian Orthodox Church 19 June 2013, 13:49
- Prokhorov opposes homosexuality propaganda ban 17 June 2013, 13:14
- One of United Russia leaders slams Western criticism of gay propaganda bill 14 June 2013, 10:07
- Same-sex unions may become European value – Russian MP 13 June 2013, 17:31
- Russia will reject Germany's criticism of homosexuality propaganda bill - Duma deputy 13 June 2013, 10:04
- Russian LGBT leader to sue co-author of bill on fines for homosexual propaganda 13 June 2013, 10:02
- Bill on fines for homosexual propaganda among minors passes Duma 11 June 2013, 19:55
- Most Russians want propaganda of homosexuality to be banned – poll 11 June 2013, 15:47
- HRW urges Russia not to pass bill banning propaganda of non-traditional sexual relations 11 June 2013, 11:56
- State Duma to ban adoptions of children by same-sex couples next week 10 June 2013, 14:26
- Russia will rule out risk of Russian children's adoption by foreign same-sex couples 06 June 2013, 17:05
- Western countries will degrade in fifty years at the most if they don't condemn same-sex unions - Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin 05 June 2013, 14:33
- Putin says ready to sign bill banning adoption by same-sex couples (updated) 04 June 2013, 16:45
- Child adoption by homosexuals against "traditions of the people of Russia" - deputy PM 03 June 2013, 10:47
- Dispersal of gay rally was "God's will" - priest 31 May 2013, 18:03
- Russian Church criticizes EU for forcing anti-Christian norms on Europe 31 May 2013, 17:20
- Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin says Orthodox believes can and should fight propaganda of homosexuality 31 May 2013, 16:46