21 November 2013
Topic of the day
Russian president's meeting with Pope Francis lasted longer than planned
The Vatican, November 26, Interfax - Russian President Vladimir Putin's face-to-face meeting with Pope Francis in the Vatican "continued twice as long as had been planned previously," the Russian leader's press secretary Dmitry Peskov said.
A meeting between Putin and Vatican Secretary of State Archbishop Pietro Parolin continued far longer that had been planned as well, he said.
"The meeting went very well," Peskov told reporters, after being asked whether the Russian delegation was pleased with the visit to the Vatican.
Putin presented Pope with a Blessed Virgin Mary of Vladimir icon. The pontiff, for his part, presented Putin with a majolica plate depicting the Vatican Gardens. At the end of the meeting, Pope Francis asked the Russian president to convey his good wishes to Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia.
For her part, cultural attache of the Embassy of the Vatican to Russia Giovanna Parravicini told Interfax-Religion that Putin's meeting with the pontiff would open up new opportunities for relations between the two states.
The more frequently such meetings at the level of states and the level of Churches take place, the better, especially when problems like peace in Syria and the persecution of the Christian minority in this country are discussed, she said.
Parravicini said she believed that the Syrian problem had been addressed by Putin and Pope Francis at their meeting. She also said that the sides' exchange of opinions on this and other international topics would give a fresh impetus to the two states' cooperation and would offer extensive opportunities to resolve problems that face the world today.
Photo by the Presidential Press and Information Office
Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 |
- Synodal Choir gives concert in the Sistine Chapel in Vatican 01 July 2014, 13:51
- Patriarch Kirill finds first year of Pope Francis' service effective 13 March 2014, 17:55
- Stepashin meets Pope Francis 27 February 2014, 11:23
- Russian Orthodox, Catholic churches concur on many issues - patriarch 19 December 2013, 10:01
- Meeting of Pope, Patriarch is historical event, requires detailed preparations - Vatican 17 December 2013, 10:01
- Too early to discuss time, place of meeting of Patriarch Kirill, Pope Francis - Russian Church 28 November 2013, 10:13
- Putin: Russia, Vatican have similar positions on many issues 27 November 2013, 10:22
- Putin, pontiff compare positions on global affairs - Russian Orthodox Church cleric 26 November 2013, 14:59
- Russian president's meeting with Pope Francis lasted longer than planned 26 November 2013, 10:16
- Moscow Patriarchate hopes Putin's Vatican visit will make Orthodox-Catholic ties stronger 22 November 2013, 11:01
- Putin to discuss Syrian peace process with pontiff 21 November 2013, 16:44
- Putin, Pope Francis to possibly meet 07 November 2013, 16:51
- Orthodox claims to Catholics are settled in Russia - Archbishop Pezzi 27 June 2013, 14:08
- Patriarch Kirill hopes Pope Francis will continue seeking closer relations with Russian Church 06 May 2013, 10:01
- Russians want friendlier relations between Orthodox, Catholic Churches - poll 15 April 2013, 10:01
- Pope Francis gives icon from Patriarch Kirill to former Pope Benedict XVI 25 March 2013, 13:15
- Pope Francis accepts icon of Virgin Mary, book from Patriarch Kirill 21 March 2013, 11:06
- Papal nuncio in Russia says new Pope to pay close attention to ecumenical relations 19 March 2013, 14:36
- Pope Francis says has prayed for Patriarch Kirill 19 March 2013, 13:28
- If Pope and Patriarch do meet, it will unlikely happen in Russia - Russian Catholic figure 14 March 2013, 17:54
- Russian Orthodox Church hopes ties with Catholics will grow stronger under new Pope (updated) 14 March 2013, 16:06
- Patriarch Kirill's meeting with new Pope possible only after conflicts are resolved - Metropolitan Hilarion 14 March 2013, 15:49
- Ortodox-Catholic relations improve - Russian ambassador to Vatican 14 March 2013, 14:37
- Russian senators hope gap between Vatican and Orthodox Church will narrow under new pope (updated) 14 March 2013, 14:35
- Metropolitan Hilarion will head Russian delegation to new pope's enthronement 14 March 2013, 14:13