16 September 2016
Topic of the day
Patriarch Kirill gives the Pope of Rome a particle of St. Seraphim relics
Moscow, September 16, Interfax - The head of the Roman Catholic Church received a gift from Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia - a part of the relics of St. Seraphim of Sarov in a shrine made in the form of an easter egg.
Head of the Synodal Department for External Church Relations Metropolitan Hilarion of Volokolamsk conveyed the gift on Thursday at the Apostolic Palace, in the Vatican, the DECR communication service reports.
Among the focuses of the talk was the tragic situation of the Christian population of the Middle East. Pope Francis and Metropolitan Hilarion pointed to the positive experience of cooperation in giving aid to Christians in the Middle East in pursuance of the decision made at the meeting in Cuba.
"The both sides stressed the need for further consolidated actions in the Middle East. The DECR chairman introduced the Pope to the Russian Church's initiatives for bringing humanitarian aid to suffering people in Syria and thanked the Pontiff for his peacemaking efforts," the message reads.
The sides noted the fruitful cooperation between the Russian Orthodox Church and the Roman Catholic Church in the field of culture. Thus, in the last year a project for exchanging academic trips by priests and theological students from the Roman Catholic Church and the Moscow Patriarchate to Moscow and Rome respectively has proved to hold much promise as an opportunity for a deeper introduction to the traditions and today's life of the two Churches.
Metropolitan Hilarion also met with the Vatican State Secretary Pietro Cardinal Parolin. They agreed that it was necessary to continue the peacemaking efforts aimed at overcoming the conflict, in compliance with the Joint Declaration signed in Havana inviting "Churches in Ukraine to work towards social harmony".
Metropolitan Hilarion has arrived in Italy to the 14th plenary session of the Joint Commission for Theological Dialogue between the Orthodox Church and the Roman Catholic Church. The session will be held from September 15 to 22 in Chieti.
Photo by DECR communication service
Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 |
- Russian Orthodox Church, Vatican ready to be mediators between conflict parties in Ukraine 21 October 2016, 18:38
- Patriarch Kirill gives the Pope of Rome a particle of St. Seraphim relics 16 September 2016, 11:55
- Holy relics from Vatican to be conveyed to a church in the Nizhny Novgorod Region 12 September 2016, 15:44
- Russian Church and Vatican open summer institute for foreign Catholics in Moscow 30 August 2016, 13:41
- Patriarch-Pope meeting in Belarus could help solve Ukrainian crisis - Vatican envoy 08 July 2016, 17:56
- New apostolic nuncio for the soonest continuation of Orthodox-Catholic contacts started on Cuba 14 June 2016, 11:07
- Russian culture and religiosity attracts new apostolic nuncio to Russia 14 June 2016, 11:01
- Belarus ready to host meeting between Pope, Patriarch Kirill 27 May 2016, 16:30
- Lukashenko proposes arrangement of meeting between Pontiff and Patriarch of Moscow for sake of peace in Donbass (updated) 23 May 2016, 10:57
- Patriarch Kirill calls on Catholics to defend Christians' rights in the world together 20 May 2016, 10:00
- Russian and Catholic Church to hold an action to help Syrian children 22 April 2016, 11:25
- Patriarch's meeting with the pope helped save thousands of Syrians - Synod 18 April 2016, 14:17
- Russian, Catholic Churches to make list of destroyed churches, monasteries in Syria 11 April 2016, 10:00
- Patriarch Kirill's meeting with the pontiff contributed to responding to global challenges, the Russian Foreign minister believes 06 April 2016, 17:05
- Patriarch Kirill congratulates Pope Francis on Easter 28 March 2016, 15:11
- Patriarch Kirill says meeting with Pope forced world to admit genocide of Christians 21 March 2016, 10:01
- Russian Orthodox Church denies plans to take in Uniates 11 March 2016, 13:35
- Russian Orthodox Church cites deep differences with Holy See 11 March 2016, 12:27
- Russians consider meeting between pope, patriarch useful, support their further contacts - poll 09 March 2016, 18:28
- The Unia will always be the apple of discord between the Churches if Uniates won't overcome intolerance to others - UOC official 26 February 2016, 16:11
- State Duma speaker urges European politicians to follow the example of the pope and the patriarch 26 February 2016, 10:00
- Meeting between Patriarch Kirill, Pope affected situation in world - Russian Church 24 February 2016, 16:30
- Patriarch Kirill urges Ukrainian Uniates to renounce language of hatred, political cliches 24 February 2016, 10:13
- Meeting with Pope was prepared in secret because of too many opponents - Patriarch Kirill 24 February 2016, 10:08
- Patriarch Kirill calls on Catholics to jointly oppose de-Christianization of human civilization 20 February 2016, 18:14