21 November 2013
Topic of the day
Putin-Pope meeting lasted over an hour
Rome, June 11, Interfax - Russian President Vladimir Putin has met with Pope Francis in Vatican City as part of the Russian leader's trip to Rome.
"A conversation with the Pope took place in Rome. It lasted over an hour. They discussed the current situation in global affairs; naturally, the crisis in Ukraine was also mentioned," Russian President's Press Secretary Dmitry Peskov told reporters.
At the courtyard of the Apostolic Palace the Russian head of state was met by the ceremonial unit of the Pontifical Swiss Guard and the head of the papal household. Accompanied by the Gentlemen of His Holiness, the secular servants of Vatican, Putin and members of the Russian delegation proceeded to the entry into the personal papal library where the president was met by Pope Francis. Reporters watched the protocol part of the meeting which took place at the library with some delay.
After the conversation Putin and Pope exchanged their presents. The Russian president presented a painting depicting the Christ the Savior Cathedral. In addition, the Russian delegation presented Pope with several volumes of the Orthodox Encyclopedia.
Presenting his gifts to the Russian delegation, Pope said: "This medal, which was made by a last-century artist depicts an angel who brings peace and justice and solidarity, and protects. And there is also this text which contains reflections on the Gospel which brings light and joy into our lives and there also geopolitical reflections about us and about our life."
After the meeting Pope accompanied the Russian president to the exit from the library, and in bidding farewell asked to send his best wishes to Patriarch Kirill.
Putin and the Pope already met in Vatican City in November 2013.
A Russian delegation also attended the inauguration of Francis' pontificate in March 2013. The delegation was led by State Duma Speaker Sergey Naryshkin.
Photo by the Presidential Press and Information Office
Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 |
- Russian Church denies reports of time and place of Patriarch-Pope meeting being set 29 June 2015, 18:18
- Russian Metropolitan Hilarion meets with Pope Francis in Vatican 16 June 2015, 11:32
- Peskov on statement by U.S. ambassador to Vatican: brazen attempt to suppress another country's sovereignty 11 June 2015, 10:08
- Putin, Pope discussed Ukrainian crisis - Peskov 11 June 2015, 10:06
- Pope-Putin meeting teaches to hold dialogue instead of creating imaginary enemy - Vatican's Embassy to Russia 11 June 2015, 10:05
- Putin-Pope meeting lasted over an hour 11 June 2015, 10:02
- Putin ready to discuss situation in Ukraine with Pope Francis - Peskov 09 June 2015, 18:03
- Putin and Pope Francis to discuss possible further contacts - Ushakov 09 June 2015, 10:49
- Russian Catholics expect Putin, Pope to discuss plight of Middle Eastern Christian 09 June 2015, 10:03
- Russian Church hopes meeting between Putin, pope will help protect Christians in Middle East 05 June 2015, 17:41
- Patriarch Kirill grateful to Pope for considered stance on Ukraine, condemns Uniates 05 May 2015, 10:07
- Vatican ex-advisor converts to Orthodoxy and becomes a monk in Moscow monastery 31 March 2015, 15:49
- Patriarch Kirill thanks Vatican for balanced view on Ukraine crisis 03 February 2015, 12:19
- Dialogue over Pope-Patriarch meeting thwarted by Greek Catholics' actions in Ukraine - patriarch's spokesperson 03 December 2014, 10:02
- Synodal Choir gives concert in the Sistine Chapel in Vatican 01 July 2014, 13:51
- Patriarch Kirill finds first year of Pope Francis' service effective 13 March 2014, 17:55
- Stepashin meets Pope Francis 27 February 2014, 11:23
- Russian Orthodox, Catholic churches concur on many issues - patriarch 19 December 2013, 10:01
- Meeting of Pope, Patriarch is historical event, requires detailed preparations - Vatican 17 December 2013, 10:01
- Too early to discuss time, place of meeting of Patriarch Kirill, Pope Francis - Russian Church 28 November 2013, 10:13
- Putin: Russia, Vatican have similar positions on many issues 27 November 2013, 10:22
- Putin, pontiff compare positions on global affairs - Russian Orthodox Church cleric 26 November 2013, 14:59
- Russian president's meeting with Pope Francis lasted longer than planned 26 November 2013, 10:16
- Moscow Patriarchate hopes Putin's Vatican visit will make Orthodox-Catholic ties stronger 22 November 2013, 11:01
- Putin to discuss Syrian peace process with pontiff 21 November 2013, 16:44