04 July 2019
Topic of the day
Putin - Pope Francis meeting lasted exactly one hour
Vatican, July 4, Interfax - The meeting between Pope Francis and Russian President Vladimir Putin in Vatican has concluded.
The meeting was held at a Papal Palace library and lasted for about an hour, as required by the protocol for papal audiences with foreign guests.
Putin arrived at the palace about half an hour late and the meeting began 45 minutes after the scheduled time.
The two then exchanged gifts.
The pope presented Putin with an 18th century engraving with a view of St. Peter's Square as a Rome souvenir.
Putin gave the pope an icon of Apostles Peter and Paul.
At their last meeting in 2015, Putin gave Pope Francis a panel depicting the Christ the Savior Cathedral and several tomes of an Orthodox Encyclopedia. The pope gave the president a medallion with an inscription from the Gospel.
Two years previously, the Russian president presented the pope with an icon of Our Lady of Vladimir, while the pope gave him a maiolica with a view of the Vatican Gardens.
Putin and the Russian delegation then had a meeting with Vatican Secretary of State Pietro Parolin.
This is the third meeting between Putin and Pope Francis. The Pope received the Russian president in the Vatican in June 2015 and in November 2013.
The protocol of top-level meetings in the Vatican has been in effect for several hundred years.
Photo by the press servise of Russian President
Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 |
- Russian Church against compromise on belief-preaching with Catholics - Metropolitan Kirill 21 January 2009, 13:27
- Orthodox believers should keep the purity of faith and share it with those who are near and far – Metropolitan Kirill 29 December 2008, 16:11
- Vatican representative in Russia urges Catholics to strengthen relations with Russian Church 28 November 2008, 14:13
- Orthodox people should review Catholic and Protestant principles of working with young people, the Orthodox Church believes 12 November 2008, 13:14
- No summit between Alexy and Benedict XVI prepared in Baku – Bishop of Baku 11 November 2008, 19:16
- No preparations for Alexy II meeting with Pontiff - Moscow Patriarchate 10 November 2008, 15:05
- The Russian Orthodox Church to bring one of its relics to France 30 October 2008, 11:53
- Head of French Catholics visited the Holy Trinity Laura 28 October 2008, 15:10
- Alexy II notes progress in relationship between Orthodox, Catholic Churches 23 October 2008, 17:18
- Archbishop of Paris to visit Russia 22 October 2008, 10:47
- Roman St. Lucia Parish to help the Elista Diocese 20 October 2008, 14:10
- A representative of Russian Church participated in a Biblical marathon together with Benedict XVI 06 October 2008, 18:58
- Moscow Patriarchate, Roman Catholic Church working actively to resolve differences - Metropolitan Kirill 03 October 2008, 10:34
- Naples Archbishop handed over St. Januarius's relics to Alexy II (updated) 01 October 2008, 14:30
- Orthodox-Catholic dialogue to touch upon social doctrine 29 September 2008, 18:15
- Patriarch-Pope talks possible after rifts overcome - Moscow Patriarchate 24 September 2008, 18:15
- Lukashenko says he'd like Orthodox, Catholic Church heads to meet in Belarus 24 September 2008, 13:22
- The Moscow Patriarchate against Catholic efforts to expand influence over Orthodox 18 September 2008, 15:58
- Eighty Milan priests headed by Cardinal Tettamanzi round off their visit to Russia celebrating Assumption in the Novodevichy Convent 01 September 2008, 10:37
- Cardinal Tettamanzi donates a cross with relics to the Holy Trinity St. Sergius Laura 28 August 2008, 12:53
- Eighty Catholic priests headed by the Archbishop of Milan on pilgrimage to Russia 27 August 2008, 14:01
- Mass media review: "Russia and its Church seen from close up". Giulio Andreotti interviews Antonio Mennini, Apostolic Nuncio to the Russian Federation 06 August 2008, 17:02
- The Vatican believes a meeting between Benedict XVI and Alexy II is possible, but urges to avoid speculations 06 August 2008, 16:53
- Cardinal Etchegaray grateful to Patriarch Alexy's support during his illness 06 August 2008, 16:20
- Vatican's top officials to visit Russia soon 17 July 2008, 10:24