04 July 2019
Topic of the day
Putin - Pope Francis meeting lasted exactly one hour
Vatican, July 4, Interfax - The meeting between Pope Francis and Russian President Vladimir Putin in Vatican has concluded.
The meeting was held at a Papal Palace library and lasted for about an hour, as required by the protocol for papal audiences with foreign guests.
Putin arrived at the palace about half an hour late and the meeting began 45 minutes after the scheduled time.
The two then exchanged gifts.
The pope presented Putin with an 18th century engraving with a view of St. Peter's Square as a Rome souvenir.
Putin gave the pope an icon of Apostles Peter and Paul.
At their last meeting in 2015, Putin gave Pope Francis a panel depicting the Christ the Savior Cathedral and several tomes of an Orthodox Encyclopedia. The pope gave the president a medallion with an inscription from the Gospel.
Two years previously, the Russian president presented the pope with an icon of Our Lady of Vladimir, while the pope gave him a maiolica with a view of the Vatican Gardens.
Putin and the Russian delegation then had a meeting with Vatican Secretary of State Pietro Parolin.
This is the third meeting between Putin and Pope Francis. The Pope received the Russian president in the Vatican in June 2015 and in November 2013.
The protocol of top-level meetings in the Vatican has been in effect for several hundred years.
Photo by the press servise of Russian President
Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 |
- Orthodox-Catholic dialogue in Russia developing slowly - Moscow Patriarchate 26 December 2007, 10:22
- Orthodox Churches must settle internal disputes before they start dialogue with the Roman-Catholics, Patriarch Alexy II 18 December 2007, 17:03
- Moscow Patriarchate hopes Opus Dei won't engage in proselytism 18 December 2007, 11:00
- Moscow Patriarchate favors more active dialogue with Vatican 10 December 2007, 18:18
- Benedict XVI conveys his greetings to Alexy II 07 December 2007, 17:54
- The Moscow Patriarchate believes the status of Catholic dioceses in Russia should be brought down to the level of 2000 03 December 2007, 12:03
- Talk of possible meeting between Alexy II and Benedict XVI premature - Metropolitan Kirill 27 November 2007, 10:01
- Russian Church reserved about prospect of meeting between Patriarch, Pope 26 November 2007, 13:15
- Bishop Hilarion requests the Theologian Commission to examine the ambiguous document adopted at the Orthodox-Catholic conference in Ravenna 16 November 2007, 12:19
- Orthodox-Catholic dialogue incomplete without Moscow Patriarchate - Bishop Hilarion 16 November 2007, 10:38
- The Moscow Patriarchate calls Vatican to reject excessive political correctness 12 November 2007, 16:39
- Russian Orthodox Church is against wording Ecumenism 09 November 2007, 14:57
- Russian Orthodox bishop gives Basic Social Concept in French to Benedict XVI 08 November 2007, 16:13
- Catholics’ respect for the Russian Orthodox tradition is a pledge of lasting relations between two Churches 01 November 2007, 19:01
- Meeting between Patriarch and Pope unlikely unless problems are resolved - Metropolitan Kirill 01 November 2007, 18:46
- Possible meeting between Alexy II and Benedict XVI becomes even more real, says the Moscow Patriarchate 26 October 2007, 18:34
- Russian Church may theoretically set up alliance with Catholics - Metropolitan Kirill 26 October 2007, 17:24
- Catholics hand over church in Naples to Moscow Patriarchate 24 October 2007, 11:29
- Media review: Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: An inter-orthodox problem 22 October 2007, 15:34
- Charity should not serve goals of proselytism - Kondrusiewicz 19 October 2007, 16:02
- Orthodox-Catholic dialogue is not legitimate - Bishop Hilarion 17 October 2007, 17:49
- Vatican's envoy to meet Alexy II in Moscow before proceeding to Novosibirsk 11 October 2007, 13:08
- Russian clerics leave meeting on Orthodox-Catholic dialogue over rifts 10 October 2007, 12:39
- The Joint Orthodox-Catholic Theological Commission to discuss universal primacy in Ravenna 08 October 2007, 17:59
- Communion with Catholics will be possible only if the creed is the same - Alexy II 05 October 2007, 17:53