04 July 2019
Topic of the day
Putin - Pope Francis meeting lasted exactly one hour
Vatican, July 4, Interfax - The meeting between Pope Francis and Russian President Vladimir Putin in Vatican has concluded.
The meeting was held at a Papal Palace library and lasted for about an hour, as required by the protocol for papal audiences with foreign guests.
Putin arrived at the palace about half an hour late and the meeting began 45 minutes after the scheduled time.
The two then exchanged gifts.
The pope presented Putin with an 18th century engraving with a view of St. Peter's Square as a Rome souvenir.
Putin gave the pope an icon of Apostles Peter and Paul.
At their last meeting in 2015, Putin gave Pope Francis a panel depicting the Christ the Savior Cathedral and several tomes of an Orthodox Encyclopedia. The pope gave the president a medallion with an inscription from the Gospel.
Two years previously, the Russian president presented the pope with an icon of Our Lady of Vladimir, while the pope gave him a maiolica with a view of the Vatican Gardens.
Putin and the Russian delegation then had a meeting with Vatican Secretary of State Pietro Parolin.
This is the third meeting between Putin and Pope Francis. The Pope received the Russian president in the Vatican in June 2015 and in November 2013.
The protocol of top-level meetings in the Vatican has been in effect for several hundred years.
Photo by the press servise of Russian President
Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 |
- Moscow Patriarchate confirms theological differences with Catholics 22 March 2007, 14:49
- Orthodox believers, Catholics have almost no theological disputes left - Archbishop Schonborn 22 March 2007, 12:50
- Russian Catholics hope the meeting of Putin and Benedict XVI helps interconfessional dialogue in Russia 16 March 2007, 15:17
- Moscow Patriarchate: Russian version of Spanish newspaper article about Putin’s meeting with Benedict XVI is incorrect 15 March 2007, 14:22
- Putin thanks Bari city for return of church 15 March 2007, 11:01
- Moscow Patriarchate denies possibility of speedy meeting with Pope 15 March 2007, 10:00
- Putin says he discussed interfaith dialogue with Pope 15 March 2007, 00:07
- Russia will assist in dialogue between Russian Orthodox Church, Catholic Church - Putin 15 March 2007, 00:04
- Russian Orthodox Church welcomes meeting between pope, Putin 13 March 2007, 22:45
- Putin, Benedict XVI discuss conflicts around the world 13 March 2007, 22:10
- Russian president and Pope of Rome to discuss world politics and inter-church contacts (updated) 13 March 2007, 11:32
- Too early to discuss date for meeting between Alexy II and Benedict XVI - Moscow Patriarchate 12 March 2007, 10:24
- Meeting between Putin and Benedict XVI will help Russia and Vatican to defend traditional values together - Moscow Patriarchate 12 March 2007, 10:22
- Upcoming meeting between Putin and Benedict XVI can help consolidate the position of Christianity in the world - Russian Church 09 March 2007, 11:43
- Metropolitan Kirill sees positive changes in relations with Catholics under the new Pope Benedict XVI 05 March 2007, 10:48
- CIS, Baltic Christians state moral crisis in West 01 March 2007, 13:58
- The Holy See prepares to meet Russian president 01 March 2007, 11:26
- Russian Church supports the Christian Inter-Confessional Committee come back to the former Soviet Union 28 February 2007, 17:40
- Metropolitan Kirill: ecumenical dialogue in Europe should be honest, not politically correct 27 February 2007, 18:14
- Vatican’s representative in Russia urges Catholics to respect Orthodox traditions 14 February 2007, 14:20
- Vatican envoy: relations with Russia’s Orthodox on the rise 31 January 2007, 17:06
- Members of the Orthodox-Catholic working group hope proselytism to have no room in inter-church relations 27 January 2007, 11:01
- Moscow Patriarchate’s bishop and Austrian nuncio reaffirm importance of cooperation between their two Churches 24 January 2007, 15:39
- Prayer for Christian unity to be held in the Roman Catholic cathedral in Moscow 24 January 2007, 14:55
- Moscow Patriarchate willing to cooperate with Catholic Church in Russia in social and charity programs 25 December 2006, 11:43