04 July 2019
Topic of the day
Putin - Pope Francis meeting lasted exactly one hour
Vatican, July 4, Interfax - The meeting between Pope Francis and Russian President Vladimir Putin in Vatican has concluded.
The meeting was held at a Papal Palace library and lasted for about an hour, as required by the protocol for papal audiences with foreign guests.
Putin arrived at the palace about half an hour late and the meeting began 45 minutes after the scheduled time.
The two then exchanged gifts.
The pope presented Putin with an 18th century engraving with a view of St. Peter's Square as a Rome souvenir.
Putin gave the pope an icon of Apostles Peter and Paul.
At their last meeting in 2015, Putin gave Pope Francis a panel depicting the Christ the Savior Cathedral and several tomes of an Orthodox Encyclopedia. The pope gave the president a medallion with an inscription from the Gospel.
Two years previously, the Russian president presented the pope with an icon of Our Lady of Vladimir, while the pope gave him a maiolica with a view of the Vatican Gardens.
Putin and the Russian delegation then had a meeting with Vatican Secretary of State Pietro Parolin.
This is the third meeting between Putin and Pope Francis. The Pope received the Russian president in the Vatican in June 2015 and in November 2013.
The protocol of top-level meetings in the Vatican has been in effect for several hundred years.
Photo by the press servise of Russian President
Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 |
- The Russian Church official considers symbolic that the patriarch meets with the pope 'at a crossroad' 09 February 2016, 10:03
- Patriarch, pope meeting 'a mutual step halfway' between Russia, Western world – Peskov 08 February 2016, 13:17
- Patriarch-pope meeting to benefit Christians in Islamic countries - mufti Tajuddin 08 February 2016, 10:02
- Rabbi Kogan blesses the patriarch-pope meeting 08 February 2016, 10:01
- Delaying patriarch-pope meeting "no longer possible" - Russian Orthodox Church 08 February 2016, 10:00
- Meeting between pope, patriarch of Moscow to mark new stage in relations between two Churches - joint statement 05 February 2016, 20:59
- Russian Catholics place high hopes on meeting of Pope Francis and Patriarch Kirill 05 February 2016, 15:38
- Pope's possible visit to Russia not being discussed for now - Metropolitan Hilarion 05 February 2016, 15:11
- Patriarch Kirill, pope to meet on Cuba on February 12 (updated) 05 February 2016, 14:40
- Russian Orthodox Church denies rumors of upcoming Patriarch-Pope meeting in Latin America 26 January 2016, 18:03
- Too early to speak of meeting between pope, patriarch - Russian Church 22 January 2016, 16:46
- Belarusian leader Lukashenko wants to meet with Pope Francis 07 December 2015, 10:00
- Issue of meeting between pope, patriarch on agenda, but too early to speak about results - Russian Orthodox Church 29 October 2015, 15:31
- Metropolitan Hilarion, Pope discuss persecution of Christians in Middle East 22 October 2015, 10:07
- Metropolitan Hilarion calls on Catholics to jointly protect traditional marriage 21 October 2015, 14:40
- Russian Church denies reports of time and place of Patriarch-Pope meeting being set 29 June 2015, 18:18
- Russian Metropolitan Hilarion meets with Pope Francis in Vatican 16 June 2015, 11:32
- Peskov on statement by U.S. ambassador to Vatican: brazen attempt to suppress another country's sovereignty 11 June 2015, 10:08
- Putin, Pope discussed Ukrainian crisis - Peskov 11 June 2015, 10:06
- Pope-Putin meeting teaches to hold dialogue instead of creating imaginary enemy - Vatican's Embassy to Russia 11 June 2015, 10:05
- Putin-Pope meeting lasted over an hour 11 June 2015, 10:02
- Putin ready to discuss situation in Ukraine with Pope Francis - Peskov 09 June 2015, 18:03
- Putin and Pope Francis to discuss possible further contacts - Ushakov 09 June 2015, 10:49
- Russian Catholics expect Putin, Pope to discuss plight of Middle Eastern Christian 09 June 2015, 10:03
- Russian Church hopes meeting between Putin, pope will help protect Christians in Middle East 05 June 2015, 17:41