04 July 2019
Topic of the day
Putin - Pope Francis meeting lasted exactly one hour
Vatican, July 4, Interfax - The meeting between Pope Francis and Russian President Vladimir Putin in Vatican has concluded.
The meeting was held at a Papal Palace library and lasted for about an hour, as required by the protocol for papal audiences with foreign guests.
Putin arrived at the palace about half an hour late and the meeting began 45 minutes after the scheduled time.
The two then exchanged gifts.
The pope presented Putin with an 18th century engraving with a view of St. Peter's Square as a Rome souvenir.
Putin gave the pope an icon of Apostles Peter and Paul.
At their last meeting in 2015, Putin gave Pope Francis a panel depicting the Christ the Savior Cathedral and several tomes of an Orthodox Encyclopedia. The pope gave the president a medallion with an inscription from the Gospel.
Two years previously, the Russian president presented the pope with an icon of Our Lady of Vladimir, while the pope gave him a maiolica with a view of the Vatican Gardens.
Putin and the Russian delegation then had a meeting with Vatican Secretary of State Pietro Parolin.
This is the third meeting between Putin and Pope Francis. The Pope received the Russian president in the Vatican in June 2015 and in November 2013.
The protocol of top-level meetings in the Vatican has been in effect for several hundred years.
Photo by the press servise of Russian President
Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 |
- Rector of Russian Church in Iceland transfers icon to Catholic Church for the time of his vacations 16 June 2011, 12:47
- Almost one third of Russians believe historic division of Christians to be a mistake – poll 25 May 2011, 12:55
- Faberge exhibition to open next week in Vatican 04 April 2011, 15:13
- Orthodox liturgy was first celebrated at relics of St. Alexis, the Man of God 01 April 2011, 18:07
- Russian Church urges Catholics to organize missionary "attack" on Europe 21 March 2011, 12:14
- Sooner or later Patriarch Kirill and Benedict XVI will meet, the Vatican says 18 March 2011, 11:36
- Over 20 thsd books from Italian and papal universities to be transferred to Moscow Theological Academy 09 March 2011, 11:51
- Vatican names new ambassador to Russia 21 February 2011, 10:35
- Former Vatican Ambassador to Russia is decorated with Order of Friendship 18 February 2011, 17:47
- Pope, Patriarch will meet "when time comes" - Russian Church 17 February 2011, 17:41
- Russian Orthodox Church welcomes Medvedev's meeting with Benedict XVI 17 February 2011, 16:00
- Russian president meets with Pope 17 February 2011, 15:54
- Vekselberg's Link of Times Foundation to hold Faberge exhibition in Vatican 17 February 2011, 13:17
- Medvedev and Benedict XVI will compare notes on foreign political problems 16 February 2011, 10:02
- Pope-Medvedev meeting will help protect moral values worldwide - Vatican 14 February 2011, 17:52
- Russian Orthodox Church welcomes strengthening relations between Moscow, Vatican 14 February 2011, 17:19
- Russian Culture Center opens at Belgium Catholic University 08 February 2011, 17:44
- Patriarch Kirill thanks Vatican envoy for important contribution in improving Orthodox-Catholic relations 27 January 2011, 15:19
- Patriarch's meeting with Pope getting nearer - Metropolitan Hilarion 26 November 2010, 10:03
- Kaliningrad's Orthodox Christians accuse Catholics of proselytizing plot 23 November 2010, 10:19
- Moscow Patriarchate, Vatican wage common fight against secular liberalism - Patriarch Kirill 19 November 2010, 10:18
- Russian Orthodox Church declines Catholics' claims for former Catholic church in Kaliningrad 16 November 2010, 13:17
- Kaliningrad Orthodox diocese advises Catholic archbishop "not to throw stones in glass house" 15 November 2010, 15:41
- Particle of St. Andrew’s relics to be brought to Astana as Pope’s gift 13 November 2010, 17:48
- Patriarch Kirill thanks German authorities for support extended to Russian Church in the country 13 October 2010, 17:52